Jake Averillo

Donkey Slayer

Banned
Reaction score
A big statement from Pay to hook Lewis for Averillo and it payed off.. he should be applauded for that, took some courage.

Wakeham looks likely at 7 and Averillo at 6 is showing tremendous promise, showed his class with a quick decision to catch and kick for the last try.

I like that combo and they look comfortable together. In fact, they compliment each other.

I get the feeling Lewis and Cogger are death riding these blokes because of the threat they carry and that’s toxic.

Lewis is unfortunately not a real threat in attack, lacks that bit of speed and his passing and decision making needs some tuning. Great long kicking game though, huge boot.
So if Bailey Boindi Odo comes Through next year then what ?

1.Averillo
2.Ado Carr
3.Schouup
4.DWZ
5.Smith
6.Odo
7.Wakeham
9.Lewis

Doggies2035

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Try the other way around averillo and Lewis maybe wakeham is not ready quiet yet what did Lewis do tonight compared to wakeham tackled more led the team called for the ball unlike mute wakeham who never put his hand up or called for it only started to when the rookie came on and Lewis even scored a try all wakeham did while in control was soft kick it to our wingers centres where at least Lewis did strong kicks and bombs

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score

1.Averillo
2.Ado Carr
3.Schouup
4.DWZ
5.Smith
6.Odo
7.Wakeham
9.Lewis
Lewis will be languishing in reserves

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Averillo looked good in the time he was on. Follows the ball a bit and made some good decisions. Whether he's able to do that for 80 minutes yet is another question though.

Wakeham had more time to impress but I'm not sold on him yet. Kicking the ball dead on the third was a big blunder early on. Not writing him off yet, but I'm not going to jump on the hype train that he's got running.

Lewis has some really good moments early on. A 40/20 and some quicker passes. But late in the game he threw a few nothing passes, one over the sideline and one behind our attacking line.

Overall much of the team deserves a bit of criticism. WAY too much dropped ball all round. DWZ wasn't playing confidently at all either. Really annoyed me late in the game when he stood back and let a bomb bounce inside the 10m line.

Scoring 16 points may gloss over some of the errors. But the extra posession it gave the cowboys really hurt us in the end.

Towards the end of the game the second captains challenge was a blatantly wrong call. DWZ was very unlucky to be sent for 10. We shouldn't have been penalized for leaving the scrum early when both teams were guilty of it. Smith was held back late in the game contributing to his knock on. I thought the refereeing was going ok up till we got to 12 points, then they threw a bunch of crappy calls at us.

We threw away too much ball in attacking positions to deserve to win. But in spite of all this we still came close. We will have a better season this year than our last two years.

EB18

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Without a doubt he and Wakeham should be our havles. Problem is paired together they have a grand total of 5 or 6 nrl games of experience. Ideally you would want an experienced half playing next to one of them this year. Then bring the other though next year or playing off the bench this year. Problem is our experienced half is stuck on the sidelines.

Definitely both are great prospects for the future. But am I the only one that's worried that if lose every week what it would do to there confidence for the future?

gazza

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wakeham and Amarillo have to be the halves from here. I have been a supporter of Lewis but he just doesn’t have the zip needed for a 7 or 6. Could end up like Mbye - not bad but skill set and physique not suited to any position. The cogger - Lewis pairing did not work. Wakeham - Amarillo worth trying. After 2 losses there is a need for change.

gazza

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Blasted spell checker keeps changing Avarillo

GUSLER

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Averillo seems to be the new Kennel sweetheart... till he has a couple of bad games then -> Sack Averillo! Just like every other young prospect.

Jokes aside he played well on debut, but we've seen that so many times before. This team is just so inconsistent.
To be fair we haven’t had young prospects, just young players. None of the other young players in our team have dominated the juniors or lower grades, they’ve just been included in the FG team to give us an excuse for losing whilst recovering from Des’ mess. Averillo to be fair, is a prospect.

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score

1.Averillo
2.Ado Carr
3.Schouup
4.DWZ
5.Smith
6.Odo
7.Wakeham
9.Lewis
BBO is a good prospect, let’s discuss him when the time is right. We just had a glimpse at a local junior combination in the halves and they looked sharp and lively... that is the now.

We all know too well one game means nothing (especially in the Kennel), but these guys need some time to showcase their abilities and consistency will be key.

Averillo has something about him though, he looks a talent.

Malla

Reaction score
Everytime he touched the ball, i could see something in him, needs to be in the halves, not to mention the try saving tackle
He looks like he has what it takes to be a great first grade halve; however if he is under the coaching of Pay he has no hope lol

mikey

Kennel Established
Reaction score
He was dangerous and had the defence in two minds every time he touched it. It was a very promising first taste of FG indeed. He has to start next week somewhere in the team.
Yep in place of Lewis!

jamma01

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Gun, must keep long term. Just don't know his best position yet. Could be a great fullback.

zac hollywood

Waterboy
Reaction score
Gun, must keep long term. Just don't know his best position yet. Could be a great fullback.
The kid understands spacing and where to get to on what tackle in attack, he’s a natural half. If you watch Lewis he doesn’t understand this, he’s all effort but you can see he has had poor coaching on his way through to nrl, and that’s why he’s so limited in attack, Averillo understands the space he needs to be in to isolate defenders and make them make decisions on what they need to do in defence. And he should be the goal kicker as well. Well done to Jake , let’s hope pay does the right thing and leaves him in the halves.

Bulldog_4_Life

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I think his future is at 6. He would make a gun fullback or centre though as well but he needs to have the ball in his hands as much as possible.

Malpass

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
what is his natural position . Listed as a centre on website . I just watched video footage of him and he had the number 7 on his back for Canterbury cup.
If he's a natural half get him in there. Lewis is so slow with some of his options. Does the odd good thing like his first kick and try last night.
But as a lot of people have said needs to bulk up and become like another braith anasta / Jason smith , ball playing lock. That would give us another attacking option than just relying on the halves all the time.

2ndphase

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
How good was his one one tackle with Coen Hess to save a try.
The kid has natural ability to play anywhere in the backline.
Imagine having a ball playing fullback!
But i dont think he is ready to play a full 80mins just yet.
Bring him off the bench and keep extending his mins per game.