6 & 7

Juicydog

Kennel Established
Reaction score
In regards to Cogger, he is miles ahead of Lewis

If we are after a hooker in the mould of an Ennis/Jake Friend - Defensively good, good service, leads and directs the forwards around, i think Cogger has the attributes to work towards that, and he also would have a decent boot for a hooker.

If you are after a more explosive/attacking hooker - Cook/young Isaac Luke/Api, well Cogger hasnt got those attributes.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
I don't know why the club extended Lewis before the season either. It's going to be harder to try and move him on.. If he's dropped then if anything he'll maintain some value as another club will think take a chance on him.

But if he keeps playing, his flaws are exposed more and more and it will reduce whatever little value he has left.
Yep it's a big problem tbh, when your coming out of cap troubles signing players like Lewis and C.Smith the way we have is just poor decision making.

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
It was quite obvious he was hooked because he was absolutely shit.

Every pass he threw, he did not look at where he was throwing it.

One pass flew into renoufs shoulder, another pass infront of Wakeham which would of been a great pass if Wakeham had 2m long arms, throws balls 2m behind outside backs running at full throttle. He does not engage the line, he does not play whats infront of him and he doesnt not look where he passes. Fucked if i know where he is looking with ball in hand

I'll give you a free tip, a tip from Andrew Johns.

"The Dogs look so much more fluent and organised in attack since Wakeham has moved to 7 and young Jake who has come on. I don't know if these 2 boys have played junior footy together, but they seem to read each others game very well. Lewis really needs to develop a running game, and when he does the passing game will come along with it", said Andrew Johns
You won’t get it through to the fanboys of the “prince of Belmore” the only other one that is more adamant that Lewis is saviour is Lewis himself.

But totally agree with what you said.

To be honest we can’t expect much from Wakemam and averilo. We either need to give them 6-7 games to prove themselves or figure something else out.

But one things for sure. Lewis stunts our attack more then having a blind amputee out there. And DWZ couldn’t catch corona if he was in Wuhan. They guys hands do not line up with the ball. Not saying he is a shit player because he runs great lines and I love the way he engages the defensive line. Throws his body at the defence with utter recklessness. But if he is your first choice fullback I think it shows a severe lack of depth.

Not sure what we can do with our line up. But we have scored 18 points over our first 2 games. So again we are struggling on offence. And funny pay comes out and talks up our defence because we let in the Softest of tries this game. And it’s the basic skills of not dropping the ball that we are lacking.

if we shut out cowboys like we did last week we win. But we struggle with attack and direction. We dropped way too much ball and we had embarrassing defensive lapses.

we did look way more fluid when Lewis was off though. Kid is a ballsy defender. But lacks even the most basic of skills required to be a first grade half.

A

Alexander the Great

DWZ couldn’t catch corona if he was in Wuhan. Dead:grinning:))
You won’t get it through to the fanboys of the “prince of Belmore” the only other one that is more adamant that Lewis is saviour is Lewis himself.

To be honest we can’t expect much from Wakemam and averilo. We either need to give them 6-7 games to prove themselves or figure something else out.

But one things for sure. Lewis stunts our attack more then having a blind amputee out there. And DWZ couldn’t catch corona if he was in Wuhan. They guys hands do not line up with the ball. Not saying he is a shit player because he runs great lines and I love the way he engages the defensive line. Throws his body at the defence with utter recklessness. But if he is your first choice fullback I think it shows a severe lack of depth.

Not sure what we can do with our line up. But we have scored 18 points over our first 2 games. So again we are struggling on offence. And funny pay comes out and talks up our defence because we let in the Softest of tries this game. And it’s the basic skills of not dropping the ball that we are lacking.

if we shut out cowboys like we did last week we win. But we struggle with attack and direction. We dropped way too much ball and we had embarrassing defensive lapses.

we did look way more fluid when Lewis was off though. Kid is a ballsy defender. But lacks even the most basic of skills required to be a first grade half.

Juicydog

Kennel Established
Reaction score

I totally agree with you.

I'm not a fan of Smith at centre and DWZ best position is on the wing.

As it stands right now, i think the most logical backline (in accordance with the current players skills and attributes) would be

1. Meaney
2. DWZ
3. Fucked if i know
4. Hoppa
5. Smith

If rumours are true that we are after Rapana, i could live with DWZ at 3 and Rapana at 2

TABOO

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Lewis had a shocker tonight and if you can't see that, then you should be watching re-runs of soccer (since there isn't any new games being played).

Attack was immensely better, more fluid and dangerous when he was hooked for averillo.

Dwz had an absolute shocker also.
Reimis needs to go back to the wing and Harper to centre.

The DoggFather

OG DF
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score

As it stands right now, i think the most logical backline (in accordance with the current players skills and attributes) would be

1. Meaney
2. DWZ
3. Fucked if i know
4. Hoppa
5. Smith

If rumours are true that we are after Rapana, i could live with DWZ at 3 and Rapana at 2
This season is a write off for many reasons so just blood the pups and leave them there.

1. Meaney
2. DWZ
3. Harper
4. Hoppa
5. Smith

6. Avo
7. Wakeham

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score

1. Meaney
2. DWZ
3. Fucked if i know
4. Hoppa
5. Smith

Funny you should say Meaney. Kid has done absolutely nothing wrong in NRL. Was very solid with his limited opportunity last year. And got shafted for DWZ. Who came in and has failed to cement the spot he desired.

Makes sense why he never played fullback at Penrith. Just lacks that 5-10% finesse that great fullbacks have. The great hands. The vision. The making the right pass at the right time. I find DWZ a bit careless with his passing.

The thing everyone complained about with Meaney was he was too small. But he looks a bit Bulkier now. Not sure if he gained much muscle or not. But I would be more then comfortable throwing him in the back and moving Zelezniak onto the wing. And as you said remis needs to partner hoppa. Their combo was very very fluid for a right side paring. Not sure why you would change it.

Cogger also for mine was harshly treated. Probably the only half we have that is a threat with his kick, he passing or his running game.

wonder if pay makes any changes or want to keep faith with the same squad more or less for the 3rd week straight.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
It's an absolute no brainer for me, I'd also be far more patient with Pay if he went this way and allowed them to play to their strengths and have the team support them.

Wakeham and Averillo as halves pairing works because it allows them to play to their strengths and perform roles they are far more comfortable with. They are also comfortable on either side of the field. Lewis in the team simply does not allow this not to mention he just isn't good enough and really not worth persisting with, God knows why we jumped the gun and re-signed him so early.

Wakeham at 7 has the freedom to float around the ruck, push players where he wants them, setup up plays and then inject himself where he sees fit. He also doesn't need to rack up 70+ useless touches like Lewis and stifle the attack...instead the he can play an active role and push up in support or further organise the side.

Averillo in the 6 gives us a genuine ball running option, someone with with proper pace and footwork that wants to run at defenders and ask questions. He can pickup the ball in all different types of positions and scenarios and just attack the defence there and then while having the skill to linkup with his support in all sorts of ways.

Hopefully Pay goes with this halves pairing next week and continue on with it into the season and we can try and build around these guys, yes they're going to make mistakes and look crap at times but I'm more than willing to be patient with them if they get the proper opportunity and continue to show ability that's worth persisting with.

On a side note DWZ absolutely has to go from FB, not just because he can't catch a fucking ball but because he just isn't a fullback and lacks the vision and ball skills required in that role. A lot of what he does well he can do from the wing or centre. JMK again is another issue, bloke has peaked and just lacks any sort of guile in the dh role, can pass okay and defend well but that's it.

1. Hoppa
6. Averillo
7. Wakeham
9.????

That's 3 genuine ball players, a proper ball runner and the experience of Hoppa. Surely these players getting good ball in areas they're good at is a major upgrade on what we have now?

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
It's an absolute no brainer for me, I'd also be far more patient with Pay if he went this way and allowed them to play to their strengths and have the team support them.

Wakeham and Averillo as halves pairing works because it allows them to play to their strengths and perform roles they are far more comfortable with. They are also comfortable on either side of the field. Lewis in the team simply does not allow this not to mention he just isn't good enough and really not worth persisting with, God knows why we jumped the gun and re-signed him so early.

Wakeham at 7 has the freedom to float around the ruck, push players where he wants them, setup up plays and then inject himself where he sees fit. He also doesn't need to rack up 70+ useless touches like Lewis and stifle the attack...instead the he can play an active role and push up in support or further organise the side.

Averillo in the 6 gives us a genuine ball running option, someone with with proper pace and footwork that wants to run at defenders and ask questions. He can pickup the ball in all different types of positions and scenarios and just attack the defence there and then while having the skill to linkup with his support in all sorts of ways.

Hopefully Pay goes with this halves pairing next week and continue on with it into the season and we can try and build around these guys, yes they're going to make mistakes and look crap at times but I'm more than willing to be patient with them if they get the proper opportunity and continue to show ability that's worth persisting with.

On a side note DWZ absolutely has to go from FB, not just because he can't catch a fucking ball but because he just isn't a fullback and lacks the vision and ball skills required in that role. A lot of what he does well he can do from the wing or centre. JMK again is another issue, bloke has peaked and just lacks any sort of guile in the dh role, can pass okay and defend well but that's it.

1. Hoppa
6. Averillo
7. Wakeham
9.????

That's 3 genuine ball players, a proper ball runner and the experience of Hoppa. Surely these players getting good ball in areas they're good at is a major upgrade on what we have now?
100% that’s our best 1,6,7 we can currently field. Wakeham and Averillo don’t strike me as a the type that would have their confidence dented too much either. Wakeham even started to bounce back in that last 20.

I’d be tempted to put Katoa at hooker with strict instructions to not over play his hand. JMK can be the bench utility.

jpneves

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Said it a few times
our attack is poor. What is the attack coach doing? A cross field kick on the last is liking tossing a coin and atm we come up with the wrong call! We need Matty Johns who I believe is the "halves whisperer"in with all our halves. Get Foran to play slow at the line as Benji has and get these young blokes to also be able to "ochestrate" our attack and get repeat sets and score more points. Our ball control again was awful. Silly things like the Drinkwater try, why would we have a backrower who is slow side to side on a man who has footwork and pace. The play the ball is still slow! JMK needs to get it faster and get a roll on it just seems its Lichaa all over again :(, give Katoa a go! I always have hope but Im just thinking once again we are making up the numbers and some players dont deserve this.
Smith needs to go back to the wing put Meaney at the back and DWZ to the centres and see how it goes

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
100% that’s our best 1,6,7 we can currently field. Wakeham and Averillo don’t strike me as a the type that would have their confidence dented too much either. Wakeham even started to bounce back in that last 20.

I’d be tempted to put Katoa at hooker with strict instructions to not over play his hand. JMK can be the bench utility.
Yh we're probably just going to have to rotate hookers to keep them fresh and give us some spark. Defenitely need someone else next season though

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yh we're probably just going to have to rotate hookers to keep them fresh and give us some spark. Defenitely need someone else next season though
For sure JMK and Katoa aren’t long term options.

Mightydogs

Waterboy
Reaction score
We need to throw money at a spine and built a team around them,we need to go hard for the likes of Harry grant ,Matt burton and so on

EB18

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Need to go in shopping and and buy a 1 and 9. Hoppa can ball play but his to too slow to be a long term fullback.

1.?
6. Averilo
7. Wakeham
9. ?

No idea who's available that's good at 1 and 9. Guess we might need someone to ask for a release from there contract. 800k a season should be enough for B.Smith to break his I guess. Fullback no idea.

1. Hoppa
6. Averillo
7. Wakeham
9.????

Novdoggie

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Its very obvious we need to move forward now with Averillo @ 6 and Wakeham @ 7

Stick with these 2 young pups and send Lewis to Japan to pick up Rapana
Mate spot on except for one thing. There's a travel ban lol.
Ropana can't get into Oz.

Novdoggie

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Disagree. No idea why lewis got hooked. It was purely just to give wakeham and averilo a go together, not because lewis was poor. Wakeham was terrible tonight. Stepoed up towards the end, but was terrible otherwise.
For now, id go with this.

1. Averilo (He needs to be in the team)
2. Meaney
3. DWZ (he was fucking terrible tonight, and made way too many mistakes/dropped balls last week. Definitely not our fullback after this game)
4. Hoppa
5. Reimis
6. Wakeham
7. Lewis ( but share the role with wakeham. Let him have a go as well)
Not if you listen to Pay's press conference.

Pay said Lewis "will learn from it" and how "we ( referring to Lewis) were putting ourselves under pressure".
"He'll be better for it"Pay said.
The reporter asked "was it the plan to bring him off after 55mins". Pay said "no".

Should answer any doubts, Lewis was HOOKED!

Novdoggie

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The whole backline is wrong and out of position, meany to fullback, dwz one wing and reimis(he is a dreadful centre) the other wing, hoppa and Harper in the centres and Wakeham and averilo in the halves.
This backline will score points for us. Players playing out of there natural positions is so wrong I don't know what drugs pay is on fucken clueless
Agree! Too many players not in their specialist positions is the problem. I said it in another post. This is what happens when players and managers demand they play in certain positions ie, Remi Smith. He looks nothing like a centre to me. Hoppa should be fullback DWZ wing with Smith and give Harper some more experience as he is a centre.
We have nothing to lose atm.