News Bulldogs to build NRL team on good defense

A

Alexander the Great

It total they would be around the 800 mark?

If that's the case we should have dropped these signatures and keptbth3 cash because they are doing to do sweet fuck all for us.
Those players you’ve listed aren’t on the sort of money where you could say we’ve pissed money away. I’d say they’re all good value for money signings who will keep us very competitive.

Personally I’d rather we at least remain competitive which the squad we currently have will be, rather than promote a whole bunch of kids and get slaughtered week in week out.

There’s been transparency from the get-go that 2018-2020 would inevitably be a lean period results-wise.

Tbh it’s not far from the Newcastle scenario you referred to. We’ve managed our cap so that we are positioned to be a force in the market from season 2021 onwards.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Hence the cattle argument.

Ben Barba was an absolute freak for a couple of years there. We’ve had no one remotely close to his attacking capabilities since.

Des in his wisdom thought that Mbye could be our new Barba, and went ahead and paid him bigger dollars then Barba ever saw.

How to cripple a roster and ambitions for a prolonged period 101: sign Mbye, Foran and Woods on mega money.
Not to mention they were going after Tedesco and at least one other as well. Wasn't Moses as I recall as the Despot wasn't interested.
Imagine what they would've done to the cap had they signed Teddy!

Last edited:

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
My understanding of a bogan is different to yours. Did we not already cover this last week?
Living around the Manly area Lewis ticks the boxes for what we call bogans here. The bogan your taking about may have a different look and feel In your area.

If your trying to place the race card on me it won't work. I don't hate anyone. Everyone is open to my bullshit and name calling.

I don't see you getting worked up when I give it to the other races on here. Constantly having a laugh at other races and cultural issues i observe. Are you the racist since you are only vocal regarding bogans?

I can't see who likes my posts or who agrees with me and don't really care.
I'm not in anyone's camp in the froum. I run my own banter/agenda and will call and day what I like as long as its not breachimgthe rules of the forum.

Instead of looking for my posts to question and pick apart there is a block user button you have the right to use.
That just shows the massive double standards here. Some are protected.
You need to read my previous posts if you think I only defend someone being called a bogan. Nothing personal and I don’t mind most of your posts but I don’t see the need to name call our players like that based on their background mate

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Let’s start of with “when the pressure is of”. The pressure was never off, we had players playing for contract renewals. The ones that proved their worth were rewarded and the ones that didn’t were let go. That’s a lot of pressure especially when in several cases those players still don’t have a gig. Obviously the coaching staff were also pushing themselves to earn contract extensions.

We should also not overlook the external pressure applied to us by teams that were trying to get into the finals and/or earn a home final.

Go Dogs
If you don't think that there's less pressure at at the end of a losing season at any level of sport when that team is well and truly out of finals contention, then you just don't understand the way sport works.

Last edited:

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Only its not 1 fixture is it... its been for the past 3 + years.

You are acting like this problem is something new lol
Under the same coach no less where you would expect such glaring weaknesses to be addressed and worked on now that he's in his third year. Pay's done a great job with the defence. It's the attack that's our issue.

To hear Pay and numerous players continually confirm their defensive gameplan and mentality and mainly focusing on defense over the offseason only adds to fans frustration and doubt as to whether our attack will ever improve under Pay.

A

Alexander the Great

Bogans to me come in all shapes and sizes and skin shades.

Please don't take offence mate. I was not typing to be racist. I hate everyone equally these days.

I hope he he proves me wrong tonight and the get the win.
That just shows the massive double standards here. Some are protected.
You need to read my previous posts if you think I only defend someone being called a bogan. Nothing personal and I don’t mind most of your posts but I don’t see the need to name call our players like that based on their background mate

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
It total they would be around the 800 mark?

If that's the case we should have dropped these signatures and keptbth3 cash because they are doing to do sweet fuck all for us.
You do realise that cash is irrelevant, the Salary Cap is all that matters. That means you have to register 30 players and have their contracts registered with the NRL that adds up to at least 95% of the Cap.

In simple terms you can’t save it this year and spend it next year.

Go Dogs

A

Alexander the Great

You do realise you can make your top 30 players made up off your shit players in lower grades(minimum wage) and top up your players who are going to be in the Masterplan for 2021. That way you give them more now and less in the future.

If you need me to explain how that works happy to do so for you but you come across as a smart dude who has answers for everything.
A player manager that I know of has confirmed that this is something that can and is being done innthe league.

Cash is never irrelevant if used correctly. If we want to stay in the running for big signatures like the roosters we need to think and act like them.
You do realise that cash is irrelevant, the Salary Cap is all that matters. That means you have to register 30 players and have their contracts registered with the NRL that adds up to at least 95% of the Cap.

In simple terms you can’t save it this year and spend it next year.

800k is 800k

Go Dogs

Go Dogs

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
If you don't think that there's less pressure at at the end of a losing season at any level of sport when that team is well and truly out of finals contention, then you just don't understand the way sport works.
Firstly we weren’t out of finals contention, yes it was slim but we could have still made it. We were in the race in Rounds 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22 and 23. Secondly any player who buttoned off was risking their future, particularly those with expiring contracts. Plenty of pressure there.

I know I’d be under considerable pressure if I was playing for my future with the Bulldogs or another team that might pick me up if they pass.

If I was looking for a reason why there was a step up for the last 10 rounds I’d point to DWZ and Foran not some mamby pamby nonsense about reduced pressure.

Go Dogs

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Firstly we weren’t out of finals contention, yes it was slim but we could have still made it. We were in the race in Rounds 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22 and 23. Secondly any player who buttoned off was risking their future, particularly those with expiring contracts. Plenty of pressure there.

I know I’d be under considerable pressure if I was playing for my future with the Bulldogs or another team that might pick me up if they pass.

If I was looking for a reason why there was a step up for the last 10 rounds I’d point to DWZ and Foran not some mamby pamby nonsense about reduced pressure.

Go Dogs
We weren't realistically chance of making the finals months out from the end of the season. Even after winning games towards the end, mathematically we were a miniscule chance and even then needed the most elaborate set of circumstances from every game to fall our way to even be a chance.

I don't know how you can't see a pattern developing from 2018 and 2019. Both years we were at or near the bottom of the table for the first 16 rounds and both years we started winning games when it was too late and the season was over.

It's much easier to perform as the underdog when everyone has written you off than to do it when expectations are high at the beginning of the season.

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Bottom line is pays has done a fantastic job with defense , but has clearly dropped the ball in attack.. its all well and good that so much focus has been put into defense, but considering how well we defended at the end 2019, would you not consider it more important to focus on attack in the off-season and having a more rounded approach? Putting all your eggs in one basket does not appear to be an intelligent move.

TOTTO

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Its 2020 you cant base your season on defence only , just look at al the successful teams now.

Vek

Kennel Established
Reaction score
A lack of spark in attack is no major concern
Fucking not surprised. He cant improve it so he will just ignore it.

You cant win by focusing on ONLY Defence or Attack...you need both.

Dud.

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Fucking not surprised. He cant improve it so he will just ignore it.

You cant win by focusing on ONLY Defence or Attack...you need both.

Dud.
Did you read the article?

Bull Terrier

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
It’s a win for me tonight for our boys. Unlucky last week against parra.
Good luck doggies

Vek

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Did you read the article?
Have you watched us play over the last 2 years?

Attack wont improve this year magically. We have shown no improvement over 2 years. We had the chance to bring Croft and Api in, we should have chased em harder. But no, we are still fielding a reserve grade spine, Wakeham excluded.

Dud #2.

Next.

Edit: Should add that defence is useless if we cant make us of the opportunities given to us by such a defence. Parra gave us at least 20 last week and we botched every single one.

smb

New Pup
Reaction score
I really hope our foundation isn't build on this defence...