News Bulldogs to build NRL team on good defense

A

Alexander the Great

I'll give him the benefit of doubt only because he turned that shit around at the tail end of the last year. If they go back to their old ways and play like last week its not looking good for him.

The question is who do you put as coach? Cronk won't do it. His fox salary would be decent coin plus all the perks that come along with it.
If this is how we want to play. Why didnt we buy ryan matterson to play 6. Buy jake friend to play halfback and we can tackle all we like. Sack pay employ cronk.
I understand the importance of a good defensive line but fuck me its 2020 not 1920.

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Twin Turbo loves the disagree button in every thread for anyone questioning our poor attack yet never enlightens us with his expert opinion on why Pay should never be questioned or held accountable for failing to improve our attack in three seasons.
hes not the only one, theres some serial pest at giving disagrees out..

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
The game plan tonight
Skip to a 10 point lead and hold on for dear life

We really need to win tonight
0-2 and we be looking like another “at least we won 5/ last 7 to finish the season’

Seen this horror movie one too many times

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I still think everyone is over reacting just a tad. We were all over the news for the wrong reasons in the lead up to this Parramatta game, and we had our best half, one of our best forwards, and IMO a strike back that helped us get out of our end, and we lost to a probable top 4 team that was at full strength, yet so many of you seem utterly convinced that we are doomed to be a terrible attacking team for the entire year. Its pretty ridiculous tbh. Give it a month or rwo at least.

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
I still think everyone is over reacting just a tad. We were all over the news for the wrong reasons in the lead up to this Parramatta game, and we had our best half, one of our best forwards, and IMO a strike back that helped us get out of our end, and we lost to a probable top 4 team that was at full strength, yet so many of you seem utterly convinced that we are doomed to be a terrible attacking team for the entire year. Its pretty ridiculous tbh. Give it a month or rwo at least.
you cannot blame people for having a sense of deja vu. further to that, the coach has not filled fans with confidence considering his comments.

The DoggFather

OG DF
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
hes not the only one, theres some serial pest at giving disagrees out..
It's easier just to press the button than actually debate for the dud. Especially with all the shit he talks.

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Geewiz, what a newsflash!!

Pretty sure the Bulldogs strategy on building off the back of their defence was obvious!

@ 2-2 Vs Eels around the 65th minute of the game, we figured that out...

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
There’s not much point Pay coming out and saying our attack is a basket case after 1 game to the media. You’d hope behind closed doors he realises that it’s an area that needs major improvement.

A

Alexander the Great

We need to leave the buttons for the morons who think it counts for something like myself.
That’d be the pot calling the kettle black now wouldn’t it chief? You’re a mod (and a SUPER one at that). If you’re so ouchy about it, why not disable the button?

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
There’s not much point Pay coming out and saying our attack is a basket case after 1 game to the media. You’d hope behind closed doors he realises that it’s an area that needs major improvement.
You'd also hope that after two seasons of overseeing the worst attack in the comp and having a full offseason to address these issues that there would have been this realisation.

A leopard can't change it's spots. Pay is clearly a defensive coach and won't change his ways. I don't understand the need to focus on defense so much when he's done such a good job improving us in that area. It's our attack that needs to be the focus. Watching us play the last several seasons dating back to Des it honestly looks like they don't use any footballs at training and all they do is work on wrestling and tackling.

Nexus

Super Duper Ultimate Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Alright!!.. my first disagree...

I feel like a man now.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
You'd also hope that after two seasons of overseeing the worst attack in the comp and having a full offseason to address these issues that there would have been this realisation.

A leopard can't change it's spots. Pay is clearly a defensive coach and won't change his ways. I don't understand the need to focus on defense so much when he's done such a good job improving us in that area. It's our attack that needs to be the focus. Watching us play the last several seasons dating back to Des it honestly looks like they don't use any footballs at training and all they do is work on wrestling and tackling.
Not disagreeing but without any roster changes in the spine I was never expecting much improvement in attack. DWZ is a runner while Lewis and JMK are manufactured players in their position with very little creativity between them. Then there’s Wakeham who has talent but can’t be expected to carry the burden so early in his career.

There’s room for improvement for sure but the ceiling is very low with our current spine. We won’t see any major changes until Wakeham gets more game and/or we bring some fresh blood into the spine.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
you cannot blame people for having a sense of deja vu. further to that, the coach has not filled fans with confidence considering his comments.
I would be a concerned if he was talking up our defense whwn it was for. But our defense hasreally become the cornerstone of our team. We also picked up whefe we left off last year in regards to our defense, so fair enough he praise his team for their defensive attitude. They deserve the praise.
Our attack will come together. I know Its been terrible for a long while now, you really do need to defend well before you focus on your attack. Id rather this then half ass both.
I have confidence that our attack will gradually improve as the year progresses. If it does.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Not disagreeing but without any roster changes in the spine I was never expecting much improvement in attack. DWZ is a runner while Lewis and JMK are manufactured players in their position with very little creativity between them. Then there’s Wakeham who has talent but can’t be expected to carry the burden so early in his career.

There’s room for improvement for sure but the ceiling is very low with our current spine. We won’t see any major changes until Wakeham gets more game and/or we bring some fresh blood into the spine.
We are limited in terms of playmakers no doubt but we've seen how much better the team plays when the pressure if off and Pay allows them some freedom.

If offloads were encouraged more often, more players would push up in support and you'd see more enthusiasm and confidence in attack.

By leaving the training wheels on and limiting them to very basic, predictable and outdated structures that defences read all too easily then we'll never see the team improve in attack. If we change the mentality, then players will start playing with more self belief and will go closer to realising their potential. That can't happen when all we focus on is completions.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
What’s your point exactly mate?

I’m not one of the ones complaining about it.

It is a great addition to the forum and serves its purpose.

If you’re seriously upset about receiving a little X on your posts on an Internet forum then it’s time to re-assess your life.
Personally I don't care about receiving the disagrees or agrees etc. I don't think I've hit disagree more than a handful of times so far even if i don't agree with something. To give a disagree to a tonne of posts but then not express your own opinion is passive aggressive and counter productive to the purpose of the forum.

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
What’s your point exactly mate?

I’m not one of the ones complaining about it.

It is a great addition to the forum and serves its purpose.

If you’re seriously upset about receiving a little X on your posts on an Internet forum then it’s time to re-assess your life.
The numbers matter not champ.
The hypocrisy is saying you wanted it, then you whinge it gets used and you’ve been liberal enough yourself. Give it a rest.
It is a great addition when not being misused .. both of you excessively and unnecessarily use it.

Ive seen foxer use it when there is nothing to even disagree about .. just used it because of a gripe with another user and Dinkum I started using it on you because of your over use of it .. just relax on the use of it FFS

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Anyways back on topic ... our defense is great our attack is rubbish .. discuss ..