News Bulldogs to build NRL team on good defense

Nexus

Super Duper Ultimate Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Do you know how you win a footy game.. by scoring more points than the opposition.

If you cant score points, you aint going to win. Its that simple.

To those blowing sunshine up our teams ass for keeping Parra to one try... so what? We still lost... wanna know why.. because we couldnt f$%king score. We have had one of the worst, if not the worst attack in the comp for at least 3 years. How well has that been going for us?

And the solution to fix it... concentrate more on defence...

FFS

A

Alexander the Great

If we give more ball to wakeham and Lewis doesn't hog to the ball we will be in a better situation tonight.

If it's all Bogan bombs again we take another L.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I believe that defense is the foundation of good attack, but also believe that Pays selection of hooker and halfback have been wrong, without a real hooker and a real halfback our attack will keep on struggling
I think Pay has proven himself to be a great defensive coach and his job getting them to play so hard as team has been another positive.

But the attack not improving in three years isn't just down to the cattle or his selections, it's the lack of gameplan, skills being developed or coached and poor tactics which hold the team back and prevent them from improving.

The thing that frustrates me with Pay is at the end of each season when we're out of finals contention he seems to let the team play with freedom and to offload at will. That's when our attack has looked at it's best and when we've had the most success. But then he starts the first half of each season so conservative and negative that we start off poorly and kill any chances we have of making the finals.

You'd think by now he or the other coaches would have learned from this to try and get a better balance moving forward but clearly not.

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
The tigers of 2005 will strongly disagree with this statement.

Their mantra was "if you score 30 we will score 40"..
Here's some facts
After 2005 the rules were changed because of the tigers, they cheated the rules by playing touch football surrendering in tackles and quickly playing the ball. that's why we have the surrender tackle rule now.
The greatest joy in the game is when a try in scored after a struggle, It's like a mother delivering her baby !
Not the way it is freely scored now "Touch football style"
Another fact is the change in the rules to accommodate the BIG FAST PLAYER has almost eliminated the smart and resilient players from the game sadly from the grassroots levels and up !!!

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I think Pay has proven himself to be a great defensive coach and his job getting them to play so hard as team has been another positive.

But the attack not improving in three years isn't just down to the cattle or his selections, it's the lack of gameplan, skills being developed or coached and poor tactics which hold the team back and prevent them from improving.

The thing that frustrates me with Pay is at the end of each season when we're out of finals contention he seems to let the team play with freedom and to offload at will. That's when our attack has looked at it's best and when we've had the most success. But then he starts the first half of each season so conservative and negative that we start off poorly and kill any chances we have of making the finals.

You'd think by now he or the other coaches would have learned from this to try and get a better balance moving forward but clearly not.
Is it lack of confidence in his play-makers or the team in general ???

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
A part of me died while reading the first paragraph :(

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
A part of me died while reading the first paragraph :(
not impressed.. I was willing to give pay a chance, but if he cant see what is critically wrong with this team , then there is little hope for him.

A

Alexander the Great

No but he has bogan Vibes.

Thank you for making it clear that this is Australia. Unsure the point your trying to make. Doesn't make sense to me. I'm just a simpleton moron as you suggested in other threads.

You don't come across defensive when people put shit on other player's only Lewis. Bit odd.

Anyone white is a bogan? This is Australia in case you’ve forgotten
Screenshot_20200319-110742_Gallery.jpeg

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Is it lack of confidence in his play-makers or the team in general ???
I just think it's Pay being conservative and playing safety first footy to start every season to try and grind out as many wins as possible.

Even when Foran was playing we still played a very conservative brand of footy.

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
Good theory, if you shut down a team totally you only need one or two tries to win.
The best sides can do both, we will have to work on attack eventually.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Twin Turbo loves the disagree button in every thread for anyone questioning our poor attack yet never enlightens us with his expert opinion on why Pay should never be questioned or held accountable for failing to improve our attack in three seasons.

Doggiezbrah

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
I understand building your foundations with defence. However, scoring points will win you the game. There's no point keeping a team under 12 if you can't score.

Straight18

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If this is how we want to play. Why didnt we buy ryan matterson to play 6. Buy jake friend to play halfback and we can tackle all we like. Sack pay employ cronk.
I understand the importance of a good defensive line but fuck me its 2020 not 1920.

Straight18

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Twin Turbo loves the disagree button in every thread for anyone questioning our poor attack yet never enlightens us with his expert opinion on why Pay should never be questioned or held accountable for failing to improve our attack in three seasons.
I hear ya