News Bulldogs to build NRL team on good defense

DoggyStyla

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
A lack of spark in attack is no major concern for Canterbury coach Dean Pay who is concentrating on strengthening his defence against North Queensland on Thursday night.

The Bulldogs failed to score a try in their opening match against Parramatta last week, but held the fancied Eels to a single try at Bankwest Stadium.

And while he wants to see more points on the board at ANZ Stadium against the Cowboys on Thursday night, he says defence is the foundation he's building the team on.

"We put a lot of hard work into our defence so we want to build our foundation off that. We're hoping again tomorrow that we can get that done and defend really strongly," he said on Wednesday.

"We obviously want to score a few more points and that will come as we go along, so we're working really hard in that area as well.

"We're really pleased with our defence last week but there's another challenge tomorrow."

The Bulldogs will need to upset recent history on Thursday night after losing their opening two games of the season for the past three years, each time winning their third.

Coming off their round-one loss to Brisbane at the opening of their new stadium in Townsville, the Cowboys are also desperate for a win.

However, they have their own record to beat, winning just seven away games over the past two seasons from a possible 24.

It's an unusual preparation for both teams considering the coronavirus pandemic will prevent crowds from all NRL games in round two.

As a result of increasing health restrictions, the Cowboys will fly in and out of Sydney on Thursday via an NRL-chartered plane.

"You look at the positives, that we get to sleep in our beds again (Wednesday) and again (Thursday) night," said Cowboys coach Paul Green.

"It's a different preparation for us, but when you look at some of the professional sports in the United States that's what they do.

"They have the luxury of owning their own jets, which would be nice.

"We have to take the positives out of it but the main thing is what we do in that 80 minutes."

The Cowboys will welcome back suspended forward Josh McGuire, while the Bulldogs have named local junior Jake Averillo to make his debut as the bench utility.

"It's ideal to have him on the bench, he's a talented kid and we're all excited about what he can do," Pay said of the 19-year-old.

"If nothing happens injury wise or HIA wise, I'm going to have to find a way to get him on the field so we'll work that out as we go along."

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I'm gonna give pay the benefit of the doubt on this one, only because our defense was pretty good last week and assume he knows what he's doing......

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
In that same game, are we forgetting a star studded Parra with attack all over the park never looked liked scoring at all either?

It was Rd1 and we were facing a team that were also up to the challenge defensively. We'll get better as the weeks go on.
It's much easier, and more convenient to overlook this and just criticise. Sadly this has become habitual for many, rather then looking at things objectively.

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
It's much easier, and more convenient to overlook this and just criticise. Sadly this has become habitual for many, rather then looking at things objectively.
attack has been a problem for 5 years, I don't think anyone has exaggerated anything tbh..

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Can’t win games on defence alone, again, unless something changes.. bit worried about where points will come from .

bricktamland

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm gonna give pay the benefit of the doubt on this one, only because our defense was pretty good last week and assume he knows what he's doing......
Defence was solid I was impressed majroity here thought we would get toweled up but we did well remember parra are 3rd favs to win the competition and they scored 8 points

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
Winning is my major concern. And i dont care how we do it. Sure if rather see us score loads of tries every game, but if we bash teams I to submission and win i will be just as happy.
That was how we earned the title "The Dogs of War".

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
Defence was solid I was impressed majroity here thought we would get toweled up but we did well remember parra are 3rd favs to win the competition and they scored 8 points
And off a fumble in the in-goal area - not from any smart on field play.

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
attack has been a problem for 5 years, I don't think anyone has exaggerated anything tbh..
Our attack has been the problem for a much longer then that
We complained about it during Steve Folkes's last few years, we had a good 2009 season only during the Keven Moore era,
we had a brilliant 2012 season under DesTROYER Hasler but he kept us flying under the radar after that LOL.

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Our attack has been the problem for a much longer then that
We complained about it during Steve Folkes's last few years, we had a good 2009 season only during the Keven Moore era,
we had a brilliant 2012 season under DesTROYER Hasler but he kept us flying under the radar after that LOL.
I was being lenient, but yes I definitely agree with you.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Cool. I love having a coach that thinks it's 1986 and you can win every game 4-2.

We had to endure years of boring and predictable play of Desball and now three years of Pay's coaching is more of the same.

I can't wait for the day that our club steps in to the modern era and we score 20 points plus (it's a crazy concept I know) with regularity.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
For all the people that say Parra were lucky to score and never looked like scoring etc that is all true.

But then the score would have been 2-all and we looked even less like scoring than they did despite having all the good ball and territory in their 20.

People will say it's only one game and in a vacuum that would be true but when you factor in we scored the least amount of points in 2018 and 2019 under Pay, then you'll understand that this is a massive issue that Pay doesn't have any interest in addressing. If anything he's going further the other way and thinks defence is his best form of attack.

When your team can't string together passes and show basic skills or any type of cohesion in year three under the same coach, then you know something isn't working.

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
That was how we earned the title "The Dogs of War".
We had almost 3 packs of first grade forwards
But...we had an average back line LOL
1 Mick Potter
2 Steve O Brein
3 Chris Mortimer
4 Andrew Farrar
5 Peter Mortimer
6 Terry Lamb...One of rugby leagues True IMMORTAL'S
7 Steve Mortimer...The GREATEST
Not Baaad :tonguewink:

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
For all the people that say Parra were lucky to score and never looked like scoring etc that is all true.

But then the score would have been 2-all and we looked even less like scoring than they did despite having all the good ball and territory in their 20.

People will say it's only one game and in a vacuum that would be true but when you factor in we scored the least amount of points in 2018 and 2019 under Pay, then you'll understand that this is a massive issue that Pay doesn't have any interest in addressing. If anything he's going further the other way and thinks defence is his best form of attack.

When your team can't string together passes and show basic skills or any type of cohesion in year three under the same coach, then you know something isn't working.
I believe that defense is the foundation of good attack, but also believe that Pays selection of hooker and halfback have been wrong, without a real hooker and a real halfback our attack will keep on struggling

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
I believe that defense is the foundation of good attack,
The tigers of 2005 will strongly disagree with this statement.

Their mantra was "if you score 30 we will score 40"..