News Canterbury Leagues Club’s $6.5m deal to keep Bulldogs afloat

Dawgfather

Banned
Reaction score
The big space on the Dogs’ shirts speaks to the club’s troubles.
The empty space on the jerseys actually makes them look better because they look more traditional.

NRL clubs absolutely trash their jerseys with the inclusion of ridiculous colours and company logos that have absolutely fuck all to do with the club.

Jai81

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Best Jersey sponsor we have ever had!!!!!

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
They might as well just sponsor us now. It was going to be extremely difficult finding a sponsor after the Okonbur stuff but it will be virtually impossible now with Coronavirus.
Exactly. Slap it on the jersey now. Get some exposure. God knows how many time we will be splashed across news papers in the next few weeks.

To be honest selling a blank space is harder then selling something that is already there. So having a sponsor there might get more interest. Then being the club with no sponsor.

And at the end of the day the leagues club had kept us afloat even during years of board room incompetence. Least we can do is offer free publicity. If we did it with camp quality, the next business that deserves it outside of a charity is our leagues club. We’d be up shits creek without them.

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Funny how we are better protected in these times then the nrl
Yes we are. Believe it or not but Gary Mcintyre re-structured the whole constitution of the football/Leagues club back in the early 80's, to give power to the football club over the leagues club hence the number of football club board members on the leagues club board.
He was a very smart man and along with Bullfrogs blessings we were able to ensure the long term stability of the football club.
Gary was also the mastermind behind the expansion and re-development of the Leagues club in the 80's.
The leagues club wasn't even half the size it is now.
I still remember as a little kid living in Belmore walking past the leagues club every morning to go to school.
That whole area where the bistro/Main entrance etc is now was all housing.
The far right side of flames was where the entry into the club was. The grass area outside where the rock fountain is was Gladstone St.
All the other Administrators that followed later on built on what was already paved way for them.
This of course was able to be done because of the demographics of the area which rich multicultural back grounds who spent money at the club whether it was through the poker machines or simply wining and dining and came in numbers... like the Lebs, Asians, Europeans(Greeks, Italians etc).
We're very lucky!

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yes we are. Believe it or not but Gary Mcintyre re-structured the whole constitution of the football/Leagues club back in the early 80's, to give power to the football club over the leagues club hence the number of football club board members on the leagues club board.
He was a very smart man and along with Bullfrogs blessings we were able to ensure the long term stability of the football club.
Gary was also the mastermind behind the expansion and re-development of the Leagues club in the 80's.
The leagues club wasn't even half the size it is now.
I still remember as a little kid living in Belmore walking past the leagues club every morning to go to school.
That whole area where the bistro/Main entrance etc is now was all housing.
The far right side of flames was where the entry into the club was. The grass area outside where the rock fountain is was Gladstone St.
All the other Administrators that followed later on built on what was already paved way for them.
This of course was able to be done because of the demographics of the area which rich multicultural back grounds who spent money at the club whether it was through the poker machines or simply wining and dining and came in numbers... like the Lebs, Asians, Europeans(Greeks, Italians etc).
We're very lucky!
It was very unfortunate what happened with McIntyre in the end his only mistake was getting caught in my opinion.

He had big dreams with the Oasis stuff and a proven track record on getting things done.

I'll always wonder where we would be now if the stuff in 2002 never happened.

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
It was very unfortunate what happened with McIntyre in the end his only mistake was getting caught in my opinion.

He had big dreams with the Oasis stuff and a proven track record on getting things done.

Yeh same. It would of been great IMO

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
Anyone know if and when those jerseys available? Keen as fuck lol

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
I just read on the Canterbury Leagues Club website, that it’s $5 for a 1 year membership or $20 for 5 years, first thing I’m doing tomorrow is signing up for a 5 year membership.

Gee they support our club more than we’ll ever know, we should all be pretty thankful!
I join every year for $5. You get the money back straight away with the deals and discounts at for meals and the bar etc...

bowleggedwog

wogdog
Reaction score
Why not do it until we find one. Looks shit not having anything. May as well do it until we get someone. Jerseys will sell out fast with league's club on them.

Dannyboi88

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If the league suspends it’s season no club will have a sponsor considering they all putting shit on us not having a sponsor
I’m sure we’d be one of a handful of clubs that would survive if it happens

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
In the shorter term this is good news - no major corporation is going to be making decisions on major sponsorship in the foreseeable future.

However, without trying to be a negative nancy, just wanted to make two small points:

1. Just paying your $5 per year membership isn't really supporting the leagues club. No club makes it revenues from that. Best to get over there, have some drinks and a feed, see a band, or slap the pokies.
2. Medium term viability and financial bottom line of any Club is going to be affected by the current situation. Clubs could potentially lose millions in the next few months, on top of the multi-million dollar loss is made last year.

Here is the Annual Report up to 31/10/19; https://canterbury.com.au/content/u...ry-League-Club-Limited-Financial-Report-1.pdf

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
...also, aren't leagues club grants to football club's capped by the NRL? (Though i'd read that somewhere a few years ago).

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
In the shorter term this is good news - no major corporation is going to be making decisions on major sponsorship in the foreseeable future.

However, without trying to be a negative nancy, just wanted to make two small points:

1. Just paying your $5 per year membership isn't really supporting the leagues club. No club makes it revenues from that. Best to get over there, have some drinks and a feed, see a band, or slap the pokies.
2. Medium term viability and financial bottom line of any Club is going to be affected by the current situation. Clubs could potentially lose millions in the next few months, on top of the multi-million dollar loss is made last year.

Here is the Annual Report up to 31/10/19; https://canterbury.com.au/content/u...ry-League-Club-Limited-Financial-Report-1.pdf
Supporting the football club also helps the Leagues Club out because they don’t have to give as big of a grant. Buy a membership, buy merchandise and get to games. Every bit helps.

The Leagues Club is paying off the $50 mil loan so I think last years loss isn’t anything to worry about as the renovations will make money in the long term. As you say they could lose money now but as long as there isn’t a complete shut down they should be ok.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
...also, aren't leagues club grants to football club's capped by the NRL? (Though i'd read that somewhere a few years ago).
There’s no limit on club grants the NRL wanted a football club spending cap.

belmore_utd

Pro Golf Hack
Reaction score

Where would we be if the Oasis project was seen through? Probably the only billion $ club in any code in oz smh

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Where would we be if the Oasis project was seen through? Probably the only billion $ club in any code in oz smh
2 massive Leagues Clubs, our own stadium, millions in the bank and probably a few more premierships.