News Bulldogs prop Renouf To’omaga on his afro, Des Hasler’s sledge and his name

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
From the wager behind his impressive afro, to Des Hasler’s career-changing sledge and the truth behind his name, Canterbury boom forward Renouf To’omaga has a story for everything.

It started as a $100 bet and ended with two of the NRL’s best hairdos. And there was only one winner – Renouf To’omaga.

The Canterbury prop was hard to miss thanks to an impressive afro that grew almost out of control after he made a wager with teammate Raymond Faitala-Mariner.

To’omaga told The Daily Telegraph the pair had planned to shear off their manes after 12 months but things didn’t go to plan.

“At the start of last pre-season I placed a bet with Raymond, he’s got a big blond afro, that we’d grow our hair for the whole year until this pre-season. So we decided to put a 100 bucks on the line, whoever cuts their hair owes the other 100 bucks. But we both ended up keeping the hair. We were supposed to cut it about two months ago,” To’omaga said.

Instead of chopping off his locks, the Wellington-born frontrower decided to turn his afro into dreads inspired by some of his rugby union heroes.

“Coming from New Zealand, I loved the All Blacks and followed the Hurricanes but that was the reason I got dreads this year. I used to look up to players like Ma’a Nonu and Tana Umaga. I always wanted to be that kind of player growing up but I ended up playing league. I wasn’t very good at union,” To’omaga said.

Raymond Faitala-Mariner was part of the action. Photo: Alix Sweeney

But To’omaga’s hair isn’t the only transformation he has been through at Belmore.

The 24-year-old started his rugby league journey in the backs before he was shifted to the forwards by then coach Des Hasler four years ago after returning from a Bali holiday on the heavy side.

“I remember the day because I came back to training and I was a bit overweight and Des called me over,” he said.

“I was halfway through my cardio session, he said ‘jump on the scale’. I jumped on the scale and I weighed in at 118 kilograms.

“He just looked at me and said ‘yep, you’re a prop now’ and he walked away. That’s how I became a prop.

“And all the boys were laughing at me saying ‘you’re fat bro, that’s why’.”

The promising prop looks a lot more streamlined now. Photo: Phil Hillyard
Despite playing rugby union during high school while he was living in New Zealand, To’omaga seemed destined to play in the NRL.

His father is a diehard Brisbane fan and named To’omaga after Broncos legend Steve Renouf. The Junior Kiwi, who made his NRL debut in 2018, played the Broncos twice last year and both times To’omaga reckons his dad actually barracked for the opposition.

“I’ve always asked him why he didn’t just name me Steve,” he said.

“I always tell him ‘c’mon man I’m your son’.

“But he’s always rooting for the Broncos. He tells me he’s going for me but I think he’s just trying to make me feel better.”

The Bulldogs will take on the North Queensland Cowboys on Thursday night in front of an empty ANZ Stadium as the NRL takes precautions against the threat of coronavirus.

To’omaga said while his teammates were concerned, they all wanted to play as long as it was safe to do so.

“It’s weird with all this stuff happening and not knowing where it’s going to all end. But we have been training well and trying to be distracted by it even though we know how serious it could get,” he said. “Despite what’s going on the boys are feeling good and hopefully we can bring the same energy on Thursday.

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...e/news-story/e9c15d6cddc4a8e528468aa7cf1952eb

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Renouf has so much potential and he's starting to realise it. If the season goes ahead, I think this will be a huge year for him and once his minutes increase, he'll reach another level.
His defence was a positive last week and that's a credit to Pay, just wish he would give him more minutes and freedom so we can see more of his ability in attack.

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
I hope he kicks on. Has so much potential!

Heckler

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Next minute he SIGNS with the Broncos

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
His defence was a positive last week and that's a credit to Pay, just wish he would give him more minutes and freedom so we can see more of his ability in attack.
Absolutely. He has the best footwork of any forward we have aside from maybe CHN. He has a great offload and carries guys with him most runs for extra yards. I'd love to see him run angled lines out wide from time to time like the way Brisbane uses Haas or Cronulla use Fifita etc.

Instead of having Renouf run at three middle forwards every run, they should mix it up and get him in mismatches one on one with halves and centres. They'd stand no chance trying to stop him!

mikey

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Absolutely. He has the best footwork of any forward we have aside from maybe CHN. He has a great offload and carries guys with him most runs for extra yards. I'd love to see him run angled lines out wide from time to time like the way Brisbane uses Haas or Cronulla use Fifita etc.

Instead of having Renouf run at three middle forwards every run, they should mix it up and get him in mismatches one on one with halves and centres. They'd stand no chance trying to stop him!
Yeah I agree.i would like to see him run a bit harder.if he can follow wakeham around,wakeham is good at putting players into gaps.and also develop an off
Load

BELMORE

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
These two can turn into one of the best 1-2 punches off the bench in the game the way they have played the last 10 games or whatever it is.

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I work with his old man and he refers to the Dogs as his other team from time to time. I'm working on converting him haha
Does he have any inside info or goss he shares with you that the average fan wouldn't have access too that you'd like to kindly share lol

NPC83

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Great front row rotation option. Hope he gets more minutes as his fitness increases.

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Haha. Thankfully they already re-signed Renouf for a little while longer. Hopefully his old man converts to being a Dogs fan eventually.
Fuck the old man. He's already dead to me. Hopefully rest of family got more brains than him

BMOC

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just pop that offload away. I don’t know why he gets so scared to do this. He is a natural offloader and we are still yet to see it

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Just pop that offload away. I don’t know why he gets so scared to do this. He is a natural offloader and we are still yet to see it
Doubt Pay is encouraging it, probably just wants the basics. Also not like anyone is pushing up in support.

Baby Blues

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

That would require us having attacking structures and ball players who could actually execute them

ddt192

The Blue N White Butcher Stripe
Reaction score
Dude has great footwork it's good that he hasn't lost that from his days in the back line