News Canterbury Leagues Club’s $6.5m deal to keep Bulldogs afloat

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
As Gus said, the vast majority of clubs bleed massive amounts of money each year and it's not sustainable for most of these clubs be so reliant on NRL and leagues clubs grants or private owners topping up the clubs coffers each year..

The NRL need to finally use this as a wakeup call as they should have hundreds of millions saved from these TV deals over the year. Not to mention from getting a percentage of all betting turnover and sponsorships etc. Instead they cry poor as if they're on the verge of being broke.

Something needs to change. Clubs need to change their models to start being more profitable as does the NRL. Love him or hate him, the sooner Gus runs the game, the better in my opinion. We need a football person running the game again.
Exactly. The NRL must be spending their money on all of their highly paid executives & surplus staff because it certainly isn’t grass roots.

In saying that, the clubs need to take more responsibility too instead of always having their hand out when they get themselves in strife. I know the NRL have said they won’t bail our clubs again but they won’t let teams fold. I can appreciate this corona crap is unprecedented though too

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Exactly. The NRL must be spending their money on all of their highly paid executives & surplus staff because it certainly isn’t grass roots.

In saying that, the clubs need to take more responsibility too instead of always having their hand out when they get themselves in strife. I know the NRL have said they won’t bail our clubs again but they won’t let teams fold. I can appreciate this corona crap is unprecedented though too
You hit the nail on the head with surplus staff. I know several people who have worked at the NRL and the amount of jobs for mates and ex footy players they have there is just mind boggling...

These ex players and other people have no skills or defined roles at the NRL and they're all on good money too. They'd be wasting millions a year alone on those jobs for the old boys club.

Heckler

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Just a random question. If we Have another player scandal, will the league's club pull the pin on the sponsorship?

Teddybear

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Look better with blue writing ..

Just like hfc finance, etc

Our colours are blue n white let's stick to them, sure no stipulations by league's club about colours right..
Best I've seen the jersey look in a long long time.

Trafford10

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
I can't believe those two fucktards blew up a $2m revenue stream for the club.

Also if there are further restrictions on public gatherings by government because of covid 19 the Leagues club could also take a big hit financially.

Last edited:

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I can't believe thise two fucktards blew up a $2m revenue stream for the club.

Also if there are further restrictions on public gatherings by government because of covid 19 the Leagues club could also take a big hit financially.
Yeah it’s a massive concern about the Leagues Club. I heard at Crown they are turning off every second pokie to keep people apart.

Lov_Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just renewed my 5-year membership online, originally joined in 2014 and member number was still valid to renew.
$20.
Haven't lived in Australia since 2008 .. please if you can get to the club to sign up, try!

Trafford10

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Yeah it’s a massive concern about the Leagues Club. I heard at Crown they are turning off every second pokie to keep people apart.
Yeah herd the same.
Just read the restrictions the French government has put in place.
This thing is unbelievable.

bowleggedwog

wogdog
Reaction score
Why is it we are the only club that the virus is affecting financially ? I know we don't have a major sponsor at the moment but what about the clubs in financial with difficulties before the virus eg Titans ,Dragons, im sure I heard there was more ?
Because we sell papers. The bulldogs will never die, where other clubs still survive on raffle sales. But we are the only team mentioned. Just keeps the school girl story alive as they keep linking it back.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
Why is it we are the only club that the virus is affecting financially ? I know we don't have a major sponsor at the moment but what about the clubs in financial with difficulties before the virus eg Titans ,Dragons, im sure I heard there was more ?
Maybe you didn't notice this sentence from the article: "Some clubs fear financial ruin in just eight to 12 weeks should the NRL be forced to cancel games".
We may well one of the few clubs that can ride this out - much to the disgust of the media maggots who hate us.
It would be interesting if some clubs are forced to offload some of their talent, and we have the cash ready to pick up the offcasts.