Official Josh Jackson writes... Old Dogs inspire us to create new legacy

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Coming away with a loss after going so close against arch-rivals Parramatta is tough to swallow but
the heart and commitment shown by the team gives us a huge positive to take away from the game.

Holding a side with so many attacking weapons to just one try late in the contest was a massive defensive effort and is proof that we're on the right track.

After a hard couple of years, I'm very confident that success is on the horizon for the Bulldogs.

It was a big reason why I re-signed with the club until 2023 over the off-season. The future here excites me.

To be honest, I never really thought about going elsewhere. I've been a Bulldog for more than 10 years now, since starting out in the under-20s in 2010, and I wanted to pay back the club's loyalty.

There was never any truth to the stories about me being close to signing with other teams. I don't know where they came from.

Anyway, it was great to come to an agreement and focus totally on the season ahead. The way we finished last year, with seven wins from our final 10 games, had us optimistic about 2020 and that tough round one loss against the Eels shows that optimism isn't misplaced.

We've got a fair chunk of talented youth mixed in with some experience. Our younger guys are now approaching 30, 40 or 50 first-grade games. That's when I started to play consistently at this level and I expect them to do the same.

While this year is a clean slate, we're continuing to place the emphasis on defence that worked in 2019.

I remember we had a tough game against Penrith at Bankwest Stadium in round 20. It came down to the wire and we defended our line for what felt like an age to hold on for a 16-8 win.

We gained confidence from that and then performed in a similar way against Souths the next week. We weren't winning by 30 points, but we got the job done.

That gritty style can be the cornerstone of our game. A fair chunk of our pre-season was dedicated to our defensive structures and combinations.

In the past, Bulldogs teams have been known as strong defensive units and that's what we're aiming to become. We want to create our own legacy, but those great Canterbury-Bankstown sides have certainly inspired us.

All the players have bought into what our coach Dean Pay is driving. He's put his stamp on the club over the past few seasons. He and his coaching staff have evolved and learnt from the tough periods.

Deano always leads by his actions. He's a really hard worker and an equally good person who truly cares about the players. That's why the squad wants to play for him.

I've evolved as a captain too. I'm learning to get the best out of individuals, figuring out how they respond to certain things. I'm not saying I'm great at it, but I'm aware of it and adapting.

First and foremost, I have to put in consistent performances before asking that of other players. I have to make sure I'm respected by leading with my actions.

It might sound like a cliché, but I seriously haven't thought one bit about playing rep footy again. It's nice when those honours come, but all my energy is going into the Bulldogs and what we're building.

I desperately want the club to be successful. Everyone in the organisation deserves it – we owe it to the fans, sponsors, coaching and admin staff and past players.

They've made the club what it is.

https://www.bulldogs.com.au/news/20......-old-dogs-inspire-us-to-create-new-legacy/

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
That was a refreshingly honest and unscripted open letter by Josh.

The confirmation of Pay's obsession with defence and seemingly ignoring the attacking side of the game stood out though. It's concerning considering our attack needed far more work than our defence over the offseason.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
We all want the club to be successful, especially all here at TK..!

TOTTO

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Definitely defence wins games but you have to have points to defend .

Haddaway

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Not going to lie I like that we are building off defense. Ive always liked defense over attack.

We still need to show something in attack, when we shut teams down. Havnt written our attack off after one game, but not hopefull with Lewis running the show.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Defense DOES win games. It won a comps too! Every team that has won the comp boasts a very good defensive record. Sure, thwyre attack is also good, but its the defense that they need to gwt in order first, and it's the defense thats harder to teach. It takes will power and resolve to put in all of the 1%ers.

berries1935

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would have to day part of our legacy from the team in the early 2000's was that we could put 40-50 points on teams. we are so far off that its not funny. we are strong defensively yes but we need to be able to score at least 3-4 tries a game to be competitive

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
we would win 18-20 games if we only concede 8pts