Status
Not open for further replies.

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
US begins first human trial of coronavirus vaccine
Issam AHMED
AFPMarch 17, 2020, 6:25 AM GMT+11

A 3D print of a spike protein of SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19 -- in front of a 3D print of a SARS-CoV-2 virus particle (AFP Photo/Handout)
Washington (AFP) - The first human trial to evaluate a candidate vaccine against the new coronavirus has begun in Seattle, US health officials said Monday, raising hopes in the global fight against the disease.

But it may be another year to 18 months before it becomes available, once it has passed more trial phases to prove it works and is safe.

The vaccine is called mRNA-1273 and was developed by US National Institutes of Health (NIH) scientists and collaborators at biotechnology company Moderna, which is based in Cambridge, Massachusetts.

"The open-label trial will enroll 45 healthy adult volunteers ages 18 to 55 years over approximately 6 weeks," the NIH said. "The first participant received the investigational vaccine today."

Funding was also provided by the Oslo-based Coalition for Epidemic Preparedness Innovations (CEPI).

There are currently no approved vaccines or treatments against the coronavirus disease, known as COVID-19, which has infected more than 175,000 people across the world since it was first identified in central China in late December.

It has claimed 7,000 deaths, according to an AFP tally, most in China followed by Italy.

"Finding a safe and effective vaccine to prevent infection with SARS-CoV-2 is an urgent public health priority," said Anthony Fauci, head of infectious diseases at the NIH, using the technical name for the virus that is believed to have originated in bats.

"This Phase 1 study, launched in record speed, is an important first step toward achieving that goal."

The Seattle trial will study the impact of different doses delivered by intramuscular injection in the upper arm, with participants monitored for side-effects like soreness or fever.

Coronaviruses are spherical and have spikes protruding from their surface, giving them a crown-like appearance. The spike binds to human cells, allowing the virus to gain entry.

The Moderna candidate vaccine carries the genetic information of this spike in a substance called "messenger RNA."

Injecting human tissue with the spike's messenger RNA makes it grow inside the body, thereby eliciting an immune response without having actually infected a person with the full-blown virus.

- Global race -

Pharmaceuticals and research labs around the world are racing to develop both treatments and vaccines to the new coronavirus.

An antiviral treatment called remdesivir, made by US-based Gilead Sciences, is already in the final stages of clinical trials in Asia and doctors in China have reported it has proven effective in fighting the disease.

But only randomized trials allow scientists to know for sure whether it really helps or whether patients would have recovered without it.

Another US pharma called Inovio, which is creating a DNA-based vaccine, has said it will enter clinical trials next month.

Regeneron is trying to isolate coronavirus-fighting antibodies that can be administered intravenously to confer temporary immunity, and hopes to start human trials by summer.

According to the World Health Organization, 80 percent of COVID-19 cases are mild, 14 percent are severe and about five percent result are critical, resulting in severe respiratory illness that causes the lungs to fill with fluid which in turn prevents oxygen from reaching organs.

Patients with mild cases recover in a week or two while severe cases can take six or more weeks.

Recent estimates suggest about one percent of all infected people die.
To be clear ... this came out a day after it was widely reported that Trump approached a German company for the rights to their work on a Coronavirus vacine and for exclusive rights to it. Not sure this is entirely true ...

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
DOOM BREAK

I wonder how many coronababies will be born 9 months after the lock down?

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I guess, i try to not be too paranoid, but when everyone around you is getting that way, its hard not to be.

I've had three events coming up that have been postponed/cancelled. I might have to spend more time at home, play with my kid and talk to my wife! What is the world coming to?!
You're not being too paranoid mate. You're just thinking what's best for your wife and your newborn.

Case in Italy I believe a few days ago where a newborn was born with CV and everything is fine. Haven't seen any cases at all of pregnant women having issues with this, though no doubt you've read up on it.

When you get home from the shops set up a seperate room where she doesn't go into. Take the shopping out of there and disinfect everything.

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
The lead doctor was on the radio this afternoon. basically they are doing a trial of an old aids drug and an old, from memory, a malaria drug which were previously effective against another coronavirus, so they're looking further.

Headlines like "cure" even if placed in quotation marks are a bit misleading.
Positive spin on everything but need the vaccine more than the 'cure'.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
2 days ago we were at 300 cases in Australia. We're now at 440 cases. Australia is still doing well but it's exponential so we should fully expect it to keep drastically exploding.

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
2 days ago we were at 300 cases in Australia. We're now at 440 cases. Australia is still doing well but it's exponential so we should fully expect it to keep drastically exploding.
Depends on how much you guys are testing though? How long ago was your first confirmed case inside of Australia?

In Slovenia it's slowed down remarkably but we're not testing a majority of people. If they display symptoms then they're sent home for self-quarantine for 2 weeks and that's it, but the case isn't recorded because it wasn't tested. Find it stupid personally.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
You're not being too paranoid mate. You're just thinking what's best for your wife and your newborn.

Case in Italy I believe a few days ago where a newborn was born with CV and everything is fine. Haven't seen any cases at all of pregnant women having issues with this, though no doubt you've read up on it.

When you get home from the shops set up a seperate room where she doesn't go into. Take the shopping out of there and disinfect everything.
I've disinfected AF.

Today, besides the usual washing after visiting the toilet and before eating etc, I sanitised with Zoono twice in the office, than then I had ro THREE times to get to various parts of the child care centre this arvo (thought that was a bit much). When I got home, Mrs said "come wash your hands". I kind of lost it at that point and said i've already sanitised three times in the last 5 minutes FFS! I'm now not very popular.

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
The question isn't if hoarders are right, but if the attitude that you need to take care of yourself before anyone else is correct. In a time when the community needs to be coming together and people helping those less fortunate I think it's a bad mark on society personally. Happening around the world.

People are crapping on about Italy and how wonderful their attitude is. Yeah, it's cool seeing them singing etc. together. But what they're not showing is the rascism towards Chinese workers there. Got to the point where Chinese people don't come out for fear of being attacked, with many simply locking themselves in certain rooms in the house.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
The question isn't if hoarders are right, but if the attitude that you need to take care of yourself before anyone else is correct. In a time when the community needs to be coming together and people helping those less fortunate I think it's a bad mark on society personally. Happening around the world.

People are crapping on about Italy and how wonderful their attitude is. Yeah, it's cool seeing them singing etc. together. But what they're not showing is the rascism towards Chinese workers there. Got to the point where Chinese people don't come out for fear of being attacked, with many simply locking themselves in certain rooms in the house.
Same shit happened with Middle Easterners with the 911 bullshit.

Humans are c***s.

south of heaven

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score

steve1700

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Check gum tree and Facebook market place.

Got a 2nd hand 360L upright freezer for 150 bucks, comes with 3 months warranty too.

Lebo barbies at my house for anyone that misses out. BYO TP.
byo carona virus I’ll also supply the tampex

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Bunnings will suspend sausage sizzles.

That's it! You can only push a man so far...

Status
Not open for further replies.