News.com article saying Okunbor facing being sacked. CHN facing 8-12wk suspension.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
can we get a poll up to see what kennelers think should happen to Okunbor? Genuine interested to see what others think.

I would say dropped to reserve grade for 1 season is a big enough punshiment + fine. (Losing the sponsor I believe is what should make the punshiment big)
Dropping him to reserve hurts the club even more because you are essentially wasting $200k in cap space by having Okonbur sit in reggies for a year.

Brendan7

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
can we get a poll up to see what kennelers think should happen to Okunbor? Genuine interested to see what others think.

I would say dropped to reserve grade for 1 season is a big enough punshiment + fine. (Losing the sponsor I believe is what should make the punshiment big)
10 weeks for me

It's the worse of the two.

I'd give the other one a 2 week ban personally.

That is PLENTY!

Brendan7

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I get you, we are following procedure though
Exactly how long does that take though? It keeps the players in the papers.

The suspensions better be backdated!

BULLDVGS

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Exactly how long does that take though? It keeps the players in the papers.

The suspensions better be backdated!
Well they have til 530 tonight to respond. Probs know by the end of the week. Would rather they do due diligence than make some bullshit decision without all evidence/weighing up all sides. In saying that, could end up being a bullshit call anyway lol.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
"Both players knew that they were both schoolgirls from the school that they visited"
This is a lie, CHN wasn't in the group that visited that school. Shows how accurate the rest of the article is, I filed it in the BS bin.

I wouldn't like to be them fronting up to the rest of the team, might give contact sessions a bit more sting.

Go Dogs

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Reported on TV that the NRL do not have a proper Code of Conduct, only the clubs have it.
If so, how can the NRL suspend anyone when "they" dont have legislation to cover it?
The player contracts have standard NRL clauses, one of them is the Code of Conduct. The clubs can add to it in agreement with the players, but the standard NRL requirements must remain.
So the reporting is somewhat accurate but misleading at the same time.

Go Dogs

surfdog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Seems like the reputational and financial fallout from this for the club is a big part of what any punishment will be

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
They both deserve this for purely being dumb ***** and losing us sponsorship $$

Cappuccino

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Good, upgrade CHN to sack if theres any further incidents

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
They both did nothing illegal, just made more media beat up for our club to go through.!! I’m not sure about sacking them.

for mine, whatever Is in the best interest of the bulldogs is what needs to happen. That’s the main thing here.

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I think you need to sack them both. Otherwise it will affect our crowd number for this weekend and the rest of the season :(

Dawgfather

Banned
Reaction score
Wouldn't surprise me if Okunbor gets permanent deregistration from the NRL. I wonder how much of a fine the club will get on top of this. Surely they will take the current economic hardship on the club into account before smashing us again financially.
I don't see why our club should be fined. No one has suggested that the club did not fulfill its responsibilities.

We self reported the matter.

Also, no one has suggested that the club didn't supervise players adequately during the school visit. The fact Okunbor chose to do this privately via instagram messages means the fines should be on him, not the club.

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I don't see why our club should be fined. No one has suggested that the club did not fulfill its responsibilities.

We self reported the matter.

Also, no one has suggested that the club didn't supervise players adequately during the school visit. The fact Okunbor chose to do this privately via instagram messages means the fines should be on him, not the club.
Absolutely. We got fined for Coffs Harbour. We got the largest salary cap fine at the time in the history of rugby league. We got fined for partying a little too hard in a private function. And now we get fined for players doing silly things?

They will be dealt with individually. But why will the club get fined? If so why didn’t broncos, raiders, tigers not get fined? Why don’t the rabbits or roosters ever get fined? When carney pissed on himself why didn’t Cronulla get fined?

1. It seems we are the only club that ever gets fined for player misdemeanours. If the players get suspended or sacked or fined. You’d think that is a sufficient punishment. Especially after losing 2 sponsors and self reporting to the nrl. We could have swept this under the carpet and it comes up in 2 years. And we all know that would have caused a shit stir. But it’s just the fact of you do the right things and still get shat on.