News.com article saying Okunbor facing being sacked. CHN facing 8-12wk suspension.

Doggyb

New Pup
Reaction score
Canterbury has reportedly decided to sack stood down star Jayden Okunbor over the club's schoolgirl sex scandal.

Okunbor and teammate Corey Harawira-Naera were preliminarily suspended by the NRL for taking teenage schoolgirls back to the team hotel for sex while in camp in Port Macquarie last month, breaking the game’s code of conduct.

Both players have been handed show cause notices by the NRL with the pair now having the chance to respond and deliver their case for why they should not be kicked out of the game.

Channel 9's Neil Breen has now reported Okunbor is likely to be kicked out of the game and deregistered while Harawira-Naera is facing a suspension of 8-12 matches.

"The reason they're in so much trouble is because the girls were from a high school that the Bulldogs went to see on a school visit," Breen told Nine's 100% Footy on Monday night.

"Now Jayden Okunbor is in more trouble than Corey Harawira-Naera even though they both took schoolgirls from the same school back to the hotel.

"The NRL has found that both players knew what they were doing. Both players knew that they were both schoolgirls from the school that they visited, which is why they threw the book at them in a 36-hour investigation.

He said the Bulldogs will this week advise the NRL on its disciplinary plan.

"The strong mail is that Okunbor will get sacked. He'll lose his job as an NRL player and that Harawira-Naera is looking at 8-12 weeks, saved only by the fact that he wasn't on the school visit and met her outside of school hours," he said.

Jayden Okunbor of the Bulldogs.Source:News Corp Australia

The report suggests that the NRL could follow the Bulldogs' decision by deregistering Okunbor and make him off-limits to rival clubs. The Super League is also expected to follow the lead of any NRL decision. It potentially leaves Okunbor's career in tatters.

Wide World of Sports reports club officials are furious at the pair.

"We are filthy with them," a club official told Nine.

"They have blackened the name of the club and undone all the good work from the boys over the summer. It won't be forgotten in a hurry."

It comes as senior Bulldogs players Josh Jackson and Aiden Tolman voiced their concerns for the duo facing further suspension or deregistration.

Their actions are not subject to a criminal investigation.

While he doesn’t condone their behaviour, Bulldogs captain Jackson said he is concerned for the wellbeing of Okunbor, 23, and Harawira-Naera, 24, no matter what the punishment is.

“I will say those two guys, (what they did) doesn’t reflect us as a club, it doesn’t reflect our values and it doesn’t reflect those guys’ character as well,” he said.

“We’ve got to make sure that we’re careful here because they’re young guys who’ve made a really bad decision, doesn’t mean they’re bad people, and we’ve got to make sure their welfare and their mental state is really looked after as well.

“We’ve got to be supportive of that.” The scandal has cost the club a major sponsorship deal with Rashays, believed to be worth $2 million.

The Bulldogs are now without a front of jersey sponsor heading into round two. Although disappointed, Tolman echoed Jackson’s concern and said while he has an opinion on the punishment the pair should face, he won’t voice it publicly.

“It’s a very difficult situation, they’ve obviously done the wrong thing and let down the team and the club and everyone else involved in it, the fans, the members, but in saying that too, they’re really good people,” he said.

“For me, this is well out of character for what they both bring to this club.

“What’s more important for me is making sure their welfare is all right.

“There’s going to be some harsh calls come down and they need to know what they did was wrong, and not right, but in saying that too they’re still people, we still need to make sure we’re there to support them during this time.

“It’s frustrating for this to happen right on the NRL season, but it has."

https://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/b...l/news-story/573bbcb07c5d0d3f12a9f1af950f3464

Last edited by a moderator:

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
This outcome, if true, is consistent with what I said from the beginning - a violation of the Working with Children legislation from Okunbor.
Such matters are taken very seriously and the consensual sex and age of consent component of the whole story have very little do with it - except for the poor light in which it places the club / loss of sponsorship etc.
Hence why CHN may cop a heavy sanction, but may not lose his job.
We will see...

Last edited:

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
Nasheed here.
A part of me feels bad because this is simply a 20 year old hooking up with an 18 year old lowie.

but on the other hand I want Josh AC or Rapana on the wing.

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
If this happens it's a fair decision (taking off the bulldogs goggles). Okunbor knew full well it was a schoolgirl and I believe is studying to work in the school system, it was a very bad look and cost the club in many ways.

CHN probably a little on the harsh side but understandable.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Lol fuck off, 12 weeks? Just fucking sack him also if the suspension is as long and ridiculous as that. What a fucking beat up.

NPC83

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
I think that’s probably the right punishment. CHN will be playing Reggie’s for a bit when he gets back from his suspension... love him as a player but can understand how angry the club is with all that’s transpired. We had a really good pre season. Hopefully we put this behind us real quick.

Doggyb

New Pup
Reaction score
The way the NRL is at the moment. The boys would've been better off assaulting the girls than having consensual sex with them. They would most likely have a lesser punishment if they did.

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
Fucking Chn 12 weeks get ficked ffs

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I don't have a problem with Okonbur getting his contract torn up but I think the club has made an error letting CHN get tarred with the same brush.

If you isolate the two incidents all CHN has done is take a girl back to his room which is a very minor offence.

The club should have handed down a punishment (one game suspension and fine)for CHN when they dropped him last week.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
I don't have a problem with Okonbur getting his contract torn up but I think the club has made an error letting CHN get tarred with the same brush.

If you isolate the two incidents all CHN has done is take a girl back to his room which is a very minor offence.

The club should have handed down a punishment (one game suspension and fine)for CHN when they dropped him last week.
If that's all that transpired, perhaps yes, but given the loss of sponsorship on top of that, plus the damage to the club's reputation in the region - the punishment likely has to be greater.

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
Fucking Chn 12 weeks get ficked ffs
I don’t really see what this achieves to be honest.

CHN puts his feet up and relaxes for 12 weeks.

meanwhile it’s the Bulldogs fans that suffer, wider NRL afficianados who like to see the best players play.

So what’s it achieve? Just pissed of fans from what I can tell.
Sting him in the pocket, instead of a 20k fine get him to renogogiate his salary for 20k less, he wins in tax and we have 20k more to play with, and more inportantly, that will teach him, and we can all get on with it.

jof

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wouldn't surprise me if Okunbor gets permanent deregistration from the NRL. I wonder how much of a fine the club will get on top of this. Surely they will take the current economic hardship on the club into account before smashing us again financially.