Opinion Thursday night live - observations

Gabe

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Our kicking game and lack of go forward on tackles 1, 2 and 3 is our biggest problem. We can't expect our boys to tackle themselves into the ground week after week. We can't continually start sets on our tryline and hand the ball back on their 40m line. Something needs to be done about this asap.
Agree... You nailed my biggest concern... our complete inability to win the field position arm wrestle. We are too small with the notable ball carriers not playing enough minutes. Also our kicking in general play is not good enough to make up for the lack of go forward.

Ray Ray, Renuf and Ogden all need to be in the team and playing their fiar share of minutes. At the very least Britt needs to start and Elliot come of the bench.

Our defence was outstanding and I get the whole start with good defence and build your attack, this can only work if we are winning games and building confidence and momentum as we go.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Agree... You nailed my biggest concern... our complete inability to win the field position arm wrestle. We are too small with the notable ball carriers not playing enough minutes. Also our kicking in general play is not good enough to make up for the lack of go forward.

Ray Ray, Renuf and Ogden all need to be in the team and playing their fiar share of minutes. At the very least Britt needs to start and Elliot come of the bench.

Our defence was outstanding and I get the whole start with good defence and build your attack, this can only work if we are winning games and building confidence and momentum as we go.
Elliot was one of our best forwards IMO, way better then Britt and Stimson. So theres now way id be benching him. Stimson id happily bench, he was bog average. But i have no clue why you would want to bench Elliot ahead of Stimson.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I think it was just a very physical, tough game. The line speeds from both teams was fantastic, and it forced a bunch of errors. Bofhcteams were a little ofd with their timing and execution, which was evidenced by the 3 penalties we gave away in the first half for mid air tackles.
People giving it to Lewis are just spewing the usual rhetoric. Sure, he lacks creativity and doesn't have a fantastic arsenal of tricks, but some of his kicks were actually very good, 2 of his bombs in particular, and as you would expect when you kick from 30-40m out from your line, .ost of his clearing kicks found a man. But they had lenty of hang time and our defense was there not long after it landed.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
I think it was just a very physical, tough game. The line speeds from both teams was fantastic, and it forced a bunch of errors. Bofhcteams were a little ofd with their timing and execution, which was evidenced by the 3 penalties we gave away in the first half for mid air tackles.
People giving it to Lewis are just spewing the usual rhetoric. Sure, he lacks creativity and doesn't have a fantastic arsenal of tricks, but some of his kicks were actually very good, 2 of his bombs in particular, and as you would expect when you kick from 30-40m out from your line, .ost of his clearing kicks found a man. But they had lenty of hang time and our defense was there not long after it landed.
Our 606 metres (21 kicks) was 56 metres (10%) more than them (24 kicks), that's 29 metres per kick compared to 23 metres.

Go Dogs

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I rewatched the game and thoughts

Defence outstanding
Attack- we missed too many opportunities
I don’t want to harp on about it but Tolman taking settlers sometimes twice a set really stifles attack slows momentum and provides opportunity for opposition to reset their defence (I feel like I’ve said this for the last 4 years)

Lewis keeps giving him the fkn ball doesn’t help too , like tell him to fk off

Renouf and Mariner impressed they latter almost scores and JMK could’ve scored from dummy half but he’s premeditated to pass it left!

We lacked second phase play and variety on edge without CHN

Stimson is a plodder

Overall as a unit we look fit so if we get the attack working we will go well

Holland had a ‘blinder’

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
I rewatched the game and thoughts

Defence outstanding
Attack- we missed too many opportunities
I don’t want to harp on about it but Tolman taking settlers sometimes twice a set really stifles attack slows momentum and provides opportunity for opposition to reset their defence (I feel like I’ve said this for the last 4 years)

Lewis keeps giving him the fkn ball doesn’t help too , like tell him to fk off

Renouf and Mariner impressed they latter almost scores and JMK could’ve scored from dummy half but he’s premeditated to pass it left!

We lacked second phase play and variety on edge without CHN

Stimson is a plodder

Overall as a unit we look fit so if we get the attack working we will go well

Holland had a ‘blinder’
We had JMK (clueless) passing to Lewis (clueless) for large chunks of the game and people are still pretending that this isn't a key issue to why our attack was so ineffective lol. The ball distribution was terrible and Parra could easily slide because of how slow and indirect our ball movement was. We're also playing with 1 genuine ball player through the spine and his opportunities with the ball in good areas were almost non existent.

I watched it again and i'm even more convinced that Pay just wants to try and shithouse his way to wins. Just sit back and defend, absorb the pressure and hope the opposition gets frustrated and makes an error. Win the ball and march up field into a position where we can hoof the ball up and repeat.

I mean if we want to defend like that then go for it, but at least do something a little extra in attack and try and apply pressure. It's not like I'm asking us to be the 05 Tigers lol.

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
We had JMK (clueless) passing to Lewis (clueless) for large chunks of the game and people are still pretending that this isn't a key issue to why our attack was so ineffective lol. The ball distribution was terrible and Parra could easily slide because of how slow and indirect our ball movement was. We're also playing with 1 genuine ball player through the spine and his opportunities with the ball in good areas were almost non existent.

I watched it again and i'm even more convinced that Pay just wants to try and shithouse his way to wins. Just sit back and defend, absorb the pressure and hope the opposition gets frustrated and makes an error. Win the ball and march up field into a position where we can hoof the ball up and repeat.

I mean if we want to defend like that then go for it, but at least do something a little extra in attack and try and apply pressure. It's not like I'm asking us to be the 05 Tigers lol.
Yeah, nothing comes from dummy half, no plays no intentions for attacking like JMK I think ran twice and the first one was last resort and his second dart was decent albeit in our own half

Hooker/half has been an issue for years now

People need to realise that on attack our spine control and ‘create’ the opportunity for everyone else including our edges (some people reckon Hoppa or Smith or Crichton were the issue)

Wakeham almost put Elliott over with a nice short ball but unfortunately Elliott has short arms

The more touches Wakeham gets in attacking zone off good front foot quality ball the more points we will score

Shire Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah, nothing comes from dummy half, no plays no intentions for attacking like JMK I think ran twice and the first one was last resort and his second dart was decent albeit in our own half

Hooker/half has been an issue for years now

People need to realise that on attack our spine control and ‘create’ the opportunity for everyone else including our edges (some people reckon Hoppa or Smith or Crichton were the issue)

Wakeham almost put Elliott over with a nice short ball but unfortunately Elliott has short arms

The more touches Wakeham gets in attacking zone off good front foot quality ball the more points we will score
There is no second phase at all,no signs of any offloads from our forward pack in particular Tolman on the fourth
The ball never got to the backline even when we were in good field position
Our service is slow which made it easy for Parra to shut us down so many times

Nexus

Super Duper Ultimate Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
I generally dont analyze every position, but having a look at our squad, we just dont have the cattle as well as people on the wrong positions. Breaking it down,

Fullback - We have a fullback that runs hard but doesnt have any ball playing ability and is not the safest under the high ball
Wing - In this day and age you need big strong wingers. Wingers that can go high for a ball (especially with the new rule that you cant tackle mid air at all anymore) as well as can take strong carries out of our end. We currently have a midget and an accountant.
Centre - We dont have any weapons here either. We have Hoppa who is solid with silky hands, but he doesnt pose much of a challenge for the defensive line. Our other centre is a winger who should never have been moved in the first place.
Halves - Our best half is never on the field. We are then left with a player who is great defensively but cannot create anything and comes across as selfish. Wants to be the hero. He is not a half. Our other half is very raw and struggled to get the ball and therefore into the game last week. Its going to be hard for him to develop properly with Lewis partnering him. Our only natural half that has any sort of NRL experience doesnt get selected.
FRF - One was pretty lacklustre last year (although has started this year off well) and the other will go all night, but doesnt bend the line, have any aggressiveness, gets dominated in tackles and is always getting in the way in attack.
SRF - Our most creative back rower is not allowed to play. Stimson has been rubbish and Jackson will try all game but doesnt have another dimension to his game. We dont have strong fast back rowers running good lines and / or hitting holes. Too many toilers.
Lock - The only back rower we have that actually seems to know how to hit a hole but he is stuck in the middle instead of the edges. Was not a fan of his last year however to me he looked strong last week.

Our team's balance is out of whack, too many of the same type of players in the forwards. With our backs we are just putting people wherever and hoping for the best.

One of our centres in a natural winger.. while we have a centre on the bench (who didn't even get on the field)
One of our wingers is a natural Fullback
One of our halves in a natural... something else

Honestly I'm surprised we didn't get belted last week.

The issue we have is that we need to play close to our best, at least defensively, to perhaps jag some wins. Unfortunately if we are a little off our game there is every chance we get murdered. Other teams could be a bit off and still be good enough to win games, we dont have that luxury.

I also dont want to hear any more BS from Pay about how proud he is about the boys "trying hard". The players dont need a mate, they dont need a father, they need a coach.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
The main issue I see with those towering bombs will be that someone is going to have to time their runs to compete in the air every time or it's going to keep being a source of penalties for the opposition. But despite the penalties conceded in this area of the game, our defence really didn't let Parra reap much advantage from the gift of starting a set in decent field position.

But moving forward, we'll hopefully offer more kicking variety when facing wingers that are good in the air.

Gabe

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I
Elliot was one of our best forwards IMO, way better then Britt and Stimson. So theres now way id be benching him. Stimson id happily bench, he was bog average. But i have no clue why you would want to bench Elliot ahead of Stimson.
I just think we need a notable ball carrier in our starting side to help out with yards, and think Elliot has always made a big impact when comming off the bench.