Lewis is the worst half to ever play any form of football for 125 years

Nate DAWG

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
True mate, been calling it for a while.

Just saw manlys star studded side get whipped by thr storm.

They could not score either...

At least Lewis isn't on 1 mill ++ like Dce..
I wouldn't compare the Storm defence to Parra though

Nate DAWG

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I've been saying all off season our strike out wide is the issue. Halves are an overrated commodity they all have the basic skills required
When was the last time a premiership was won from a team without a classy half? Halves are on big money for a reason

Last edited:

silva

Utility
Reaction score
When was the last time a premiership was won from a team without a classy half? Halves are on big money for a reason
You have a point. But in our current situation we should go after quality outside backs as halves cant do shit without them. A good half is useless without strike around him.

piggy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
You have a point. But in our current situation we should go after quality outside backs as halves cant do shit without them. A good half is useless without strike around him.
The problem is we can’t attract players to our club because to attract quality players We need to pay overs due to our weak roster and inexperienced coach...and yes....we have had the worst backs for so many years....we can’t sign a fukin decent centre or winger....remis smith is not a centre and hoppa has great hands but is too slow....for fuk sake send someone to Fiji and sign some speedy backs...our backs are like turtles

turveys asthma puffer

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I just rewatched the game with a focus on our halves.

For the most part Lewis kicked long, bombed high in good positions and got early ball out to Wakeham, Elliot, Britt and Hoppa. It was infact our centres and wingers that failed to finish off half opportunities in space. Hoppa and Smith killed off plenty of plays in space. And Smith failed to find Meaney in room on a handful of occasions. Hoppa and Crichton clearly couldn't read each other and passes failed to connect, or in a few occasions were thrown too late by Hoppa whilst Crichton lurked behind in no mans land.

Wakeham got his hands on the ball in a few attacking positions but at times threw the wrong ball. Lewis did the same on multiple occasions, but actually for the most part did draw in his man and pass. Lewis remained composed and did not overplay his hand, he got early ball out despite receiving sub par ball out from dummy half.

In summary don't point the finger at Lewis for our lack of points, Wakeham would have massively struggled under increased responsibility, and our halves are surrounded by two of the worst centre and wing combinations in the league. We need some class on the edges ASAP

We should target something like:

1. Meaney (already signed for 2021)
2. Rapana
3. DWZ
4. Hoppa (already signed for 2021)
5. Addo-Carr

With Thompson in for Tolman and hopefully a new dummy half, we will be a force.
Hate to use Des speak but turning over possession was the reason we lost on Thursday. The grinding style is ineffective if you don’t wear the opposition out. Lewis could be even less creative and we would have scored a couple of tries if we halved the turnovers. Off the top of my head Stimson, Reimis, Elliot and Tolman all dropped the pill cold in good field position. DWZ missed atleast 3 bombs and threw a hospital ball to Hoppa, Lewis threw a forward pass(was lucky not to get pinged for a couple more) and RFM missed the sitter in the in goal. Also the bombs to Fergusons wing were well positioned kicks but the chasers needed to time there runs better. I’m not a fan of Lewis at halfback let alone being the dominant one but i don’t think think he deserves the amount of abuse for that match as he has copped.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Turn it around, how many teams with supposedly classy halves haven’t won a premiership? Having a classy half is no guarantee of winning a premiership. Not to mention the first obvious question, how do you recognise that someone is a classy half? Plenty of so called classy halves aren’t that classy at all (Hunt, Taylor, Milford et al). The second obvious question, how do we recruit a genuine classy half when we don’t have the cap space? The third obvious question, who is this classy half that you suggest we recruit?

Go Dogs

silva

Utility
Reaction score
If you watch the way we played against brisbane last round last yr we were moving the ball in our own half, lots of offloads and we created opportunities. We should be doing more of that.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
If you watch the way we played against brisbane last round last yr we were moving the ball in our own half, lots of offloads and we created opportunities. We should be doing more of that.
I’m pretty confident that will come, it’s only round 1 after all and due to injuries we had a back 5 that hadn’t played together this year.

Go Dogs

Haddaway

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Go and watch last season’s game against the Donkeys. If you can’t appreciate the cut out pass for the try and then the cross field kick for the try then there’s no hope for you.

Go Dogs
He turned his back to the defensive line LOL. Sure the kick was good but he couldn't even pass a simple right to left pass.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
The problem is we can’t attract players to our club because to attract quality players We need to pay overs due to our weak roster and inexperienced coach...and yes....we have had the worst backs for so many years....we can’t sign a fukin decent centre or winger....remis smith is not a centre and hoppa has great hands but is too slow....for fuk sake send someone to Fiji and sign some speedy backs...our backs are like turtles
Smith is a turtle, are you serious.
Meaney is a turtle, you've got to be kidding.
DWZ is a turtle, open your eyes.
Wakeham is turtle, there's no hope for you.

Go Dogs

Berries

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Go and watch last season’s game against the Donkeys. If you can’t appreciate the cut out pass for the try and then the cross field kick for the try then there’s no hope for you.

Go Dogs
One of the most grossly underrated all time defensive deficiencies were the Broncos two weeks against us and Parramatta, they found themselves short 3 men in the back line several times and Lewis made it hard for himself every time.

Straight18

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Only one way to fix it all. This bullshit is all the coaches responsibility.
Nothing will change till we find a better coach.
But as lyn keeps saying she isnt rushing into anything at all.
So fuck her off too.

Straight18

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

Go Dogs
I can find 50 kids in wellington alone that can do that.
Im 36 now. Id be more a threat than lewis i promise u that.

Nate DAWG

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Turn it around, how many teams with supposedly classy halves haven’t won a premiership? Having a classy half is no guarantee of winning a premiership. Not to mention the first obvious question, how do you recognise that someone is a classy half? Plenty of so called classy halves aren’t that classy at all (Hunt, Taylor, Milford et al). The second obvious question, how do we recruit a genuine classy half when we don’t have the cap space? The third obvious question, who is this classy half that you suggest we recruit?

Go Dogs
My comment was directed towards a post that said halves were an 'overrated commodity'. A classy half is no guarantee to a premiership but is essential. Plenty of premiership have been won with steady reliable players in the outside backs, especially in the centres. I don't think there is a half to recruit, never said there was. We have no choice but to invest in Wakeham and hope he develops into a classy half, as he has potential to. My comment was to posters who think that halves aren't our issue and that we are in need of outside backs as a priority instead.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
My comment was directed towards a post that said halves were an 'overrated commodity'. A classy half is no guarantee to a premiership but is essential. Plenty of premiership have been won with steady reliable players in the outside backs, especially in the centres. I don't think there is a half to recruit, never said there was. We have no choice but to invest in Wakeham and hope he develops into a classy half, as he has potential to. My comment was to posters who think that halves aren't our issue and that we are in need of outside backs as a priority instead.
Maybe if you had posted that I wouldn't have commented. That said every team needs a couple of strike players, the ones that can turn nothing into something, just give them the ball and let them loose. When nothing is on they can open up the opposition and win the game for you. It doesn't matter so much where they play, just as long as you have a couple of them. One alone doesn't get it done, the opposition can mark up on one player, that's why you need a couple (2 or 3). The Cap stops you from having 4, unless you luck into one (or two) when they are young and cheap. Of course there is an element of good recruiting and promotion from within, but there's still a modicum of luck to it.

Go Dogs

Nate DAWG

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Maybe if you had posted that I wouldn't have commented. That said every team needs a couple of strike players, the ones that can turn nothing into something, just give them the ball and let them loose. When nothing is on they can open up the opposition and win the game for you. It doesn't matter so much where they play, just as long as you have a couple of them. One alone doesn't get it done, the opposition can mark up on one player, that's why you need a couple (2 or 3). The Cap stops you from having 4, unless you luck into one (or two) when they are young and cheap. Of course there is an element of good recruiting and promotion from within, but there's still a modicum of luck to it.

Go Dogs
Bro, relax. I replied to a comment. You mistook the context. I never said classy halves were a guarantee on anything. I never said recruit anyone. I was speaking to the importance of halves to winning and them not being an 'over rated commodity' as they have been the most important position on the park since i have watched the game.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Bro, relax. I replied to a comment. You mistook the context. I never said classy halves were a guarantee on anything. I never said recruit anyone. I was speaking to the importance of halves to winning and them not being an 'over rated commodity' as they have been the most important position on the park since i have watched the game.
I’m perfectly relaxed, my view is that you need a couple of strike players in your team, but they don’t have to be halves. The halves do have be of decent quality, competent and provide direction and service to the strike players. A half who is also a strike player commands $huge because the fact is they don’t come along very often. Compared to the not as rare strike centres, fullbacks or back rowers.

I don’t believe that we should simply wait with our hands in our pockets to recruit a strike player until we have a decent, competent half. If one’s available then we should grab them. If one of our developing halves makes the grade then we have a strike player ready for them to utilise.

Go Dogs