Coronavirus.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
A lot of businesses have been planning and restructuring to deal with self isolation and/or lock down.

But Sydney would be the best test case in locking down major cities around the world. Big enough to get accurate results and small/far away enough to not further affect the global economy.
My better half's largish firm in the city was going to have a test "work from home" day this week. They told everyone yesterday that instead everyone is working from home starting today until further notice.

Their reasoning is they will contribute to efforts to slow down the spread, therefore less risk to the hospital system, and they reckon they are in a position to do it.

I told my lady this was her big chance to go to work nuded up. For some reason she was unimpressed with this idea.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Just a quick heads up lads.

This virus is 100% airborn and not just about coughing / sneezing. Heard this before from an expert in the US, but only today a case of medical students here in Slovenia.

They had a party at a home last week, before the ban on get togethers etc., with 24 attending. Being medical students they all disinfected hands, many worse masks (ineffective ones) and were extremely cautious about distance between people. One infected host got 22 / 24 infected with corona. The 2 that weren't came late and left early so weren't in as much contact.

The authorities blame it on fact they didn't air out room enough and there wasn't enough distance between people, and based on the students' feedback ruled out surface contact as how it was spread ...

So ... try not to meet up with too many people. Keep 1.5m away from strangers. Don't meet up with your at risk loved ones.
From what I've read it's still not 100% airborne but it depends on your definition of airborne. A standard airborne virus is a virus that can stay in the air by itself without a vector. Other definitions list it as a virus that can stay airborne with a natural vector. COVID-19 is the latter. It can stay in the air but only in droplets of water.

Unfortunately that was one of the things everyone feared. Even though it's not traditional airborne, it means that it still can hang around in the air especially in humid climates. That means that unlike the flu, it's not seasonal. Hot weather is just as bad as cold weather.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Richard Wilkins from just interviewing Rita Wilson. Must be airborne.

It must be raging through murica. The 77 y.o. who died from Noosaville flew to Sydney and was dead several hours later. They suspect her daughter gave it to her as she'd just returned from US.

Slowmo better offend Trump and end flights from there immediately.

Negligent not to include USA as well it appears to me.

Mr 95%

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
From what I've read it's still not 100% airborne but it depends on your definition of airborne. A standard airborne virus is a virus that can stay in the air by itself without a vector. Other definitions list it as a virus that can stay airborne with a natural vector. COVID-19 is the latter. It can stay in the air but only in droplets of water.

Unfortunately that was one of the things everyone feared. Even though it's not traditional airborne, it means that it still can hang around in the air especially in humid climates. That means that unlike the flu, it's not seasonal. Hot weather is just as bad as cold weather.
If that is the case.. Singapore has done an amazing job in containing it..

Last edited:

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
If that is the case.. Singapore has done an amazing job in containing it..
Yep. Singapore, Taiwan, Hong Kong and South Korea. They've all been at the head of containment. Heavy testing, actively hunting down connections to existing cases, strong quarantine measures (locking down any towns with confirmed cases)

They've put in some heavy efforts to slow this down. It's still an uphill battle though. Singapore confirmed 14 new cases in the last 24 hours. For comparison, Australia confirmed 54 new cases in the last 24 hours.

The other thing to keep in mind though is that Singapore have reported 105 recovered. The problem is that based on data we have from every other country, that's statistically impossible. Australia for example has 27 recovered but 5 deaths. That's on the high end of the spectrum but generally deaths are about 6% - 9% of the recovered. So there's a strong belief that Singapore are fixing the death certificates to write any Covid-19 deaths off as something unrelated. Iran and Iraq have already been caught out doing this and there's a strong suggestion that China and others have done the same.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
BTW, the latest research coming out of China shows that many in the 30 - 40 year old range are contracting the virus and dying from unknown causes. It's still a much lower percentage than old people but they are dying.

Generally in the older population what ends up killing people is Sepsis. They contract the virus then that leads to infections that shuts down the lungs, heart or other major organs. That's why people with respiratory issues or heart conditions are at highest risk. It's also why respirators don't work for everyone as a respirator won't keep your heart going. But with the younger people there's no definite cause. Some have the virus and just die with no sign of Sepsis.

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
The Italian Government has put a freeze on bills, mortgages, and other expenses while the country remains in lockdown with people not working.

In order to try and lift the peoples spirits, the Italian Air Force took to the skies...

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score

From what I've read it's not airborne like you'd find with Chickenpox for example, however it's still largely in the air and passed much quicker this way. The issue is that we've all been told it's only surface transfer, when in fact waching your hands doesn't really protect you that much (although it isn't bad to do). It's making sure you're not too close up to people which is something I'm only really discovering now when I'm under quarantine not when I was teaching room fulls of school children. If one of them was infected I'm fucked! Stupid arse government.

This Coronavirus, like the MERS and SARS before it, is an influenza not limited by seasons. So my concern is what we do after quarantine as it'll still be there.

People are talking about Italy, Spain, and to a lesser extent Slovenia but I honestly thing England is the one that's going to get fucked the most. The NHS is a shambles already, the government is doing absolutely nothing to stop the spread other than saying to wash their hands (ineffective as previously mentioned). I can honestly see a huge amount of deaths etc. there over the next few weeks. It's going to be horrible.

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
BTW, the latest research coming out of China shows that many in the 30 - 40 year old range are contracting the virus and dying from unknown causes. It's still a much lower percentage than old people but they are dying.

Generally in the older population what ends up killing people is Sepsis. They contract the virus then that leads to infections that shuts down the lungs, heart or other major organs. That's why people with respiratory issues or heart conditions are at highest risk. It's also why respirators don't work for everyone as a respirator won't keep your heart going. But with the younger people there's no definite cause. Some have the virus and just die with no sign of Sepsis.
FFS. Another myth destroyed. Was wonderful sitting back thinking it was only old people. I'm never going to leave my home!

Blue_boost

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Panic buying sheep.

No that's the people that didn't buy toilet paper and other necessities. Now they que up like sheep when people like me that plan and anticipate have feet up at home relaxing, plenty toilet paper in the bank. I actually use two packs of toilet paper as a foot rest.

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
No that's the people that didn't buy toilet paper and other necessities. Now they que up like sheep when people like me that plan and anticipate have feet up at home relaxing, plenty toilet paper in the bank. I actually use two packs of toilet paper as a foot rest.
Really? I thought a professional in every aspect of life like yourself would've been able to purchase a pouf or 5. Only renters use toilet papers as foot rests.

Dawgfather

Banned
Reaction score
W

What's the source? The latest stats from China which I saw are as follows:

Dawgfather

Banned
Reaction score
W

What's the source? The latest stats from China which I saw are as follows:
Also keep in mind that China's population has huge rates of smoking and therefore the death rate (which already appears to be tiny for anyone under the age of 50), may actually be higher in China than what it will be in Australia.

52% of men in China smoke. Whereas approx 16% of men in Australia smoke.

BELMORE

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
My better half's largish firm in the city was going to have a test "work from home" day this week. They told everyone yesterday that instead everyone is working from home starting today until further notice.

Their reasoning is they will contribute to efforts to slow down the spread, therefore less risk to the hospital system, and they reckon they are in a position to do it.

I told my lady this was her big chance to go to work nuded up. For some reason she was unimpressed with this idea.
All the big 4 have tested or are testing their infrastructure this week. These companies are all equipped to handle WFH for everyone which is good. Just need to boost up so the system can handle the extra load. But I don’t know how the government services such as ASIC will do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.