Opinion Rashays punished everyone associated with the Doggies

Crosscut

Waterboy
Reaction score
I've never heard of Rashays until the fall-out from the Pt Mac incident. Coincidently I saw their Warrawong restaurant yesterday. Steak and chips on special.
Anyway , without denigrating their food I'd like to raise a point.
That being this: Rashays have thrown the baby out with the bath water. They've punished the non offending players and staff, the club, the supporters who agree with them on their opposition to the behaviour of TWO players. Why would you do that? Wouldn't it have been better publicity to have stood up and declared that Rashays love the Bulldogs and we will not let the actions of 2 players spoil the positive role models the other players uphold. Do you punish a class of kids because a couple are caught doing something naughty?
Rashays have stated that the players don't uphold their values and that they are family restaurant. So what values are those one may ask ? Sex between consenting adults ? Premarital sex? A power imbalance between older players and younger willing partners? Does the restaurant have a moral code? if so, what is it and how does it apply ?
The club immediately acted to suspend the players and rightly so. So what's the issue?
The issue was of players breaking club and NRL policy . It's that simple.
Rashays got free publicity . The club and it's supporters got the raw deal. Meanwhile the two players will be hung out to dry.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Rashay's likely had to consider the impact from their customers who don't care about the Bulldogs or even rugby league.
Mud sticks, whether it's valid or not. Mud from Coffs Harbour stuck for years and nothing was even proven and the case against the club was dropped - yet for so long after we were called 'rapists' and other such nonsense.
As it was the economy wasn't in great shape leading in to 2020 - then along came the bushfires and now the virus. Rashay's likely has taken a hit to its revenue irrespective of the Port Mac incident - so why would they risk other customers who judge them to be associated with a club where players (even 2) misbehave? Like I said, mud sticks.
Sure, it's not fair on the club or the vast majority of its players and staff who do the right thing - but that's the price everyone has to pay for the actions of two players who should've known better.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Rashay's likely had to consider the impact from their customers who don't care about the Bulldogs or even rugby league.
Mud sticks, whether it's valid or not. Mud from Coffs Harbour stuck for years and nothing was even proven and the case against the club was dropped - yet for so long after we were called 'rapists' and other such nonsense.
As it was the economy wasn't in great shape leading in to 2020 - then along came the bushfires and now the virus. Rashay's likely has taken a hit to its revenue irrespective of the Port Mac incident - so why would they risk other customers who judge them to be associated with a club where players (even 2) misbehave? Like I said, mud sticks.
Sure, it's not fair on the club or the vast majority of its players and staff who do the right thing - but that's the price everyone has to pay for the actions of two players who should've known better.
Correct, unfortunate circumstances all around.

Malla

Reaction score
Rashays is just another restaurant chain that will go broke in a few years.

Grunthos

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
They were probably never serious about their sponsorship anyway.
The dogs are on their way back and would be a good longterm investment.

Ribo Flavin

Kennel Established
Reaction score
The #metoo movement has a lot of males in leadership roles by the testis. Ashtrays has capitalized on the clubs misfortune..like an utter grub.

Doggiezbrah

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
Rashays is just another restaurant chain that will go broke in a few years.
I agree, I don't know how they are expanding so rapidly with poor food. Does anyone know how many years they were signed up for?

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Rashays would have been hammered on social media, campaigns against boycotting their restaurants and all the rest. Has happened in the past to many others.

There are 15 other clubs supporters plus people who couldn't give a shit about rugby league willing to give them a hard time about it.

The disappointing thing is Rashays milked the situation and did things like the cross through our jersey rubbish.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I've never heard of Rashays until the fall-out from the Pt Mac incident. Coincidently I saw their Warrawong restaurant yesterday. Steak and chips on special.
Anyway , without denigrating their food I'd like to raise a point.
That being this: Rashays have thrown the baby out with the bath water. They've punished the non offending players and staff, the club, the supporters who agree with them on their opposition to the behaviour of TWO players. Why would you do that? Wouldn't it have been better publicity to have stood up and declared that Rashays love the Bulldogs and we will not let the actions of 2 players spoil the positive role models the other players uphold. Do you punish a class of kids because a couple are caught doing something naughty?
Rashays have stated that the players don't uphold their values and that they are family restaurant. So what values are those one may ask ? Sex between consenting adults ? Premarital sex? A power imbalance between older players and younger willing partners? Does the restaurant have a moral code? if so, what is it and how does it apply ?
The club immediately acted to suspend the players and rightly so. So what's the issue?
The issue was of players breaking club and NRL policy . It's that simple.
Rashays got free publicity . The club and it's supporters got the raw deal. Meanwhile the two players will be hung out to dry.
Rashays did exactly what any other company would have done. Your kidding yourself to think otherwise.

youoboys

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Bulldogs fan here: is the owner of rashays kids adopted or did he root his mrs? Just like mad dog CHN and that idiot onkabor! All I can say is. What a twat! Worlds farked anyway!

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
Bulldogs fan here: is the owner of rashays kids adopted or did he root his mrs? Just like mad dog CHN and that idiot onkabor! All I can say is. What a twat! Worlds farked anyway!
Fuck off Nasheed.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
But they aren't all adults are they? That is the issue.
There are seniors in high school that are already 18. The media are doing their best to imply that the young women in question were picked up at the school visit which is not true if the released text exchange is anything to go on. I got the impression that Okunbor used some form of social media or a dating app. For all we know they're 18 and were at one of the 16 pubs and clubs that port Macquarie have to offer.

The only thing I'm certain of is that people are basing judgement on very limited information and the moral outrage created by the media. I personally think that many reporters would sell their children to a high profile peadophile if it meant they could report on the peadophile afterwards. This should never have become a media circus. Unfortunately it has and it has cast a dark light on the club.

I'm not going to defend the wisdom of the decisions made in proceeding with a rendezvous once our players found out that the women were students. But I'm not going to base judgement on sparse or implied facts.

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Fuck em.
I see sponsors, like players. If they don’t want to be here, they can fuck off.
We’ll find someone else.
Yes. Agree.

But at the same time we need to acknowledge that we didn't provide the right environment to be sponsored. Who in their right mind would pump 2m into the club just a few days after the news broke of 2 of our players slept with school girls?

If we don't make a stand as a club, and change this behaviour it'll just keep happening. We need to be honest with ourselves and say there's a problem here. It's not right what these players have done, and we need to make sure the club is doing everything possible to ensure it doesn't happen again.

Don't get the hate of Rashays tbh. They claim they're a family restaurant and the connection with us is supposed to be based on those family values. 2 players didn't buy into it, and yes, they punished so many more than 2 people but what other choice did they have?

bowleggedwog

wogdog
Reaction score
At the end of the day, it come to light. Every player would know that everything will eventually be aired. No secrets, no loyalty. Fuck sake they earn any where form 100k to 1million. Half a dumb fuck who would struggle to be labourers if it wasn't for league. The nrl teams and players have a wrong approach to media. I think put your self out there. Let the media turn up to training and interview players whenever. Tag along on school visits . Give them access and shown them positives. Maybe when there is a negative headline its not Jayden is a predator, he is a player who made a mistake. Us against them approach will never win when it comes to media.

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
At the end of the day, it come to light. Every player would know that everything will eventually be aired. No secrets, no loyalty. Fuck sake they earn any where form 100k to 1million. Half a dumb fuck who would struggle to be labourers if it wasn't for league. The nrl teams and players have a wrong approach to media. I think put your self out there. Let the media turn up to training and interview players whenever. Tag along on school visits . Give them access and shown them positives. Maybe when there is a negative headline its not Jayden is a predator, he is a player who made a mistake. Us against them approach will never win when it comes to media.
I like this thinking a lot actually. Maybe something we can start doing though I'm sure we do already?

vegny

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dont agree with the view against sponsors pulling out of a deal. They are just looking after what is good for their business. They were not the one causing all these problems. My view is itd be stupid for a business that promotes family values to stick to the deal in this situation.

Whether those 2 players were wrong or not is another topic and bottom line is dogs still coped bad publicity because of that.