News Bennett says suspend season

Motorhead

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
2 x Tipping Champ
Reaction score
Warriors are staying in Australia and their home games are being moved to Australia
Good on the Warriors for keeping the show on the road so to speak. Respect to them for that.
If a spineless club like Parra were in the same position Moses and co would say it's all too hard and pull the pin.

Motorhead

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
2 x Tipping Champ
Reaction score
They basically said that if the season is suspended then they'll need the government to bail them out or the NRL will be on the verge of bankruptcy.
Toddy better put in some hours behind the glory hole in Redfern to raise a bit of coin to keep the game afloat. C'mon Toddy, take one (or hundreds) for the team.

A

Alexander the Great

100%

It needs to be destroyed to be built up again.

Shoulders charge and punch ons straight back into the mix. Bring back the biff
Anyone else hoping they go bankrupt?

Paves a way for a proper, professional league to take over.

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
It beggars belief that with all the money they have earned from TV rights etc. they don't have a contingency fund for any problems that may arise.

The interview on Channel 9 was interesting raising points that we as fans are asking....why has the remainder of the round been played in front of crowds, are they really concerned about the players as the players from all games were still shaking hands after the game, still celebrating tries..as I said what is the difference shake hands or tackling. binding in a scrum, laying on a tackled player all involve contact....

Asking the Warriors to stay in Australia so the games can continue...some players still have responsibility outside the game. pregnant wives, other children etc. That has to be put on the back burner. Nothing has been said publicly but there would have been tremendous pressure put on them to do so. Along the lines of you signed a contract to play footy and so you shall. The NRL can't afford to have a team missing.

Who will pay for the accommodation.

All players would have to self isolate and have no contact with people outside their team and support staff if they want to properly protect them from any chance of infection.

Will be interesting to see what take on it all the players association have too.

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
South Sydney Rabbitohs coach Wayne Bennett has savaged the NRL's response to the coronavirus crisis, calling on the league to suspend the current season.

Despite almost every professional sports league around the world being postponed, the NRL made the decision to proceed as usual for Round 1, only opting to take the league behind closed doors from Round 2 onward.

However, the decision left Bennett fuming, with the legendary Souths boss believing that the NRL is "playing with fire" by continuing with the current season.

"Look ... the show doesn't have to go on," Bennett told the Daily Telegraph.

"I would be suspending the season indefinitely ... and you would have to assume we don't play again this year.

"The most important thing in our life is our health. Football is not life and death.

"It's only a matter of time before a player gets coronavirus. It's on the cards. We are all part of the community, we aren't quarantined from society.

"I understand there are arrangements with broadcasters and fans and corporate sponsors, but I don't believe we should have a mickey mouse competition.

"So let's suspend the season. I would rather suspend the season than put bandaids all over it."

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.nine.com.au/article/17889984-2c0f-4598-be0a-4407d230f156

I believe the season will be suspended by round three. Bordering on negligence if the NRL continue to allow the season to run whilst other major competitions around the world have been suspended.
So true. It will take just one player to fall ill and the sh@t will hit the fan. Games are held every week........ incubation is 14 days and sypmtons not immediately shown when infection has happened and unless you are consistently testing each and every player things are not watertight.

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
On the plus side if they suspend the season we play less games without foran and he could be back by the time it resumes. For at least one game anyway.
Ah yes and at least the NRL won't have to compensate us the 350k........win win for them...

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
He wants to season to be suspended so he can return to Snake Mountain.

Smartseal

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
It'll be suspended, Cam Smith is calling for it now, so done deal

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
How old is Bennett? Pretty sure he is in the high risk category of dying from this virus. Don't think he is too concerned about the money to be honest, he would have plenty of that.
You beat me to the punch on this. I read the article a few minutes ago and my first thought was that he's old enough to be in the high mortality range.

It beggars belief that with all the money they have earned from TV rights etc. they don't have a contingency fund for any problems that may arise.

The interview on Channel 9 was interesting raising points that we as fans are asking....why has the remainder of the round been played in front of crowds, are they really concerned about the players as the players from all games were still shaking hands after the game, still celebrating tries..as I said what is the difference shake hands or tackling. binding in a scrum, laying on a tackled player all involve contact....

Asking the Warriors to stay in Australia so the games can continue...some players still have responsibility outside the game. pregnant wives, other children etc. That has to be put on the back burner. Nothing has been said publicly but there would have been tremendous pressure put on them to do so. Along the lines of you signed a contract to play footy and so you shall. The NRL can't afford to have a team missing.

Who will pay for the accommodation.

All players would have to self isolate and have no contact with people outside their team and support staff if they want to properly protect them from any chance of infection.

Will be interesting to see what take on it all the players association have too.
Just on the section that I've bolded. It is pretty hard to see how the governing body has mismanaged the funds so badly that they'd face bankruptcy by shutting down the season. The clubs generally pay for ground maintenance or rental. The clubs pay their non playing staff. I imagine that broadcasters fund the filming of games. It makes me wonder what the governing body is paying themselves. I just can't see a huge number of other bills for them to be paying.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
"Yes Cameron, what ever you say" - Todd Greenberg
Sounds more like 'eph famron' (gagging sound) 'whaevrr ou day's. Because it's hard to pronounce every syllable when your mouth is stuffed full of phallus.

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
You beat me to the punch on this. I read the article a few minutes ago and my first thought was that he's old enough to be in the high mortality range.

Just on the section that I've bolded. It is pretty hard to see how the governing body has mismanaged the funds so badly that they'd face bankruptcy by shutting down the season. The clubs generally pay for ground maintenance or rental. The clubs pay their non playing staff. I imagine that broadcasters fund the filming of games. It makes me wonder what the governing body is paying themselves. I just can't see a huge number of other bills for them to be paying.
I agree....TV deals and they still had to borrow money. It is like having a mortgage for a cool million and then not having the money to make repayments. You make sure that you have a back up unfortunately their back up is out of date...

Nexus

Super Duper Ultimate Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
I think that’s the biggest risk here, not so much clubs folding, but the NRL itself. How is it in such a funicular state that a few months with no games could be disastrous?