Opinion Smith to fullback

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
I think this is our answer and X factor.
Dwz is slow /hoppa In This position!

Our pack was solid and no much changes there

We Need a half and hooker! And ado Carr

Solid game- but will not make the 8.
Still predictable.
No point paying big money for Addo Carr if all he does is stand out wide with an unmarked run to the line, calling out for the ball, while our forwards tuck it under their arms and accept the first soft tackle that offers itself.

piggy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The best hooker available is trying to sign with the Tigers and where do you want to pull this halfback from? I see the problems we have but with what's available it's still better to stick with what we have. At least three out of Foran, Lewis, Wakeham and Cogger. JAC would be massive but it's going to come with a cost - there is no way we're the only club that's going to want his signature. Reimis is a winger but if we're going to sign a top winger, e.g. JAC, he's going to have to develop as a centre (or Meaney). DWZ was signed to play fullback and wants to play fullback, I don't see him moving unless it doesn't work in 2021. If Thompson and lets say JAC was in our team last night we score at least two more tries.
Do you honestly think JAC would want to come to our club? We would have to pay massive overs to get him here. But hold on, we have been told he is a done deal and are just waiting for him to sort out his management issues. What a load of shit! he hasn't sighed for anyone. He will probably sign with the roosters or rabbits

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Do you honestly think JAC would want to come to our club? We would have to pay massive overs to get him here. But hold on, we have been told he is a done deal and are just waiting for him to sort out his management issues. What a load of shit! he hasn't sighed for anyone. He will probably sign with the roosters or rabbits
I think we'll only get him if we pay overs. Not sure about massive overs. Just a couple 100k over what he's offered at other clubs. If the Roosters or Rabbitohs come knocking it's going to be very difficult tho. I thought players like Latrell and Harry Grant were must have/signings for us and we didn't get them (or haven't regarding Grant) and JAC is in the same boat. I'm not sure if the club was pressured to sign Thompson but he's rumored to be on 850k so they will pay overs (unless you don't consider that overs - everyone is entitled to their own opinion).

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Coach
At NRL level, Smith’s best position is wing. He and the entire coaching staff are kidding themselves if they think otherwise.

DWZ was our only real threat in attack, he was brilliant with the exception of some dropped bombs... the bloke got no protection whatsoever from his teammates that night.

You see other teams and they strategically stand in front of their fullback to act as a shield. Our guys look on and wish him the best.

kungfuman

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The best hooker available is trying to sign with the Tigers and where do you want to pull this halfback from? I see the problems we have but with what's available it's still better to stick with what we have. At least three out of Foran, Lewis, Wakeham and Cogger. JAC would be massive but it's going to come with a cost - there is no way we're the only club that's going to want his signature. Reimis is a winger but if we're going to sign a top winger, e.g. JAC, he's going to have to develop as a centre (or Meaney). DWZ was signed to play fullback and wants to play fullback, I don't see him moving unless it doesn't work in 2021. If Thompson and lets say JAC was in our team last night we score at least two more tries.
Pretty close next year LT should help with the go forward and if Pappi plays like the other night our halves will get a bit more room to move we will have the same halves unless we try a few this year I cant see much available for 2021 ive got to note I thought Tolls runs were bog average the other night

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Pretty close next year LT should help with the go forward and if Pappi plays like the other night our halves will get a bit more room to move we will have the same halves unless we try a few this year I cant see much available for 2021 ive got to note I thought Tolls runs were bog average the other night
Yeah looking like Tols last season in the NRL.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Meaney should be fullback and if he fails to add a passing game into his kit then I'd let Averillo have a crack

Dingo

Go the dogs
Gilded
Reaction score
Don't think so but I've heard worse ideas.

FZ1-S

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
This may cause some disagreements buuuuutttt....

The team is a lot more balanced with Hopoate at FB and we all know how safe he is under the high ball not to mention his silky hands.

DWZ is our version of the 2013-15 Sam Perret.

Smith needs to go back to the wing with DWZ on the other. I know Holland isn't the answer at Centre either but a few years ago when him and Smith were partnered, they started to develop a nice game together and for some reason Pay split them up. By shifting DWZ and Hoppa, it does mean that Meany misses out but in today's game, we need big bodied wingers.

1: Hopoate
2: DWZ
3: Harper
4: Holland
5: Smith

FZ1-S

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Hopoate is way too slow to play FB.

MitchNewton

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think this is our answer and X factor.
Dwz is slow /hoppa In This position!

Our pack was solid and no much changes there

We Need a half and hooker! And ado Carr

Solid game- but will not make the 8.
Still predictable.
If anything I’d get Hoppa and DWZ to swap when we are attacking. DWZ is great getting us on the front foot and Hoppa is our best ball player.

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Smith doesn’t get involved enough and doesn’t seem to the play making ability needed to be a modern day fullback.

He needs to be put back on the wing as he is our best finisher and has decent kick returns.
I thought it was as if he did not have room to move at centres and he played like he needed to be a bit further out...on the wing.

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
At NRL level, Smith’s best position is wing. He and the entire coaching staff are kidding themselves if they think otherwise.

DWZ was our only real threat in attack, he was brilliant with the exception of some dropped bombs... the bloke got no protection whatsoever from his teammates that night.

You see other teams and they strategically stand in front of their fullback to act as a shield. Our guys look on and wish him the best.
Agree. Safe as a bank last year at fullback was DWZ. Off night and as you say not a lot of protection from the others. thought he was on his way until that oompa loompa Ferguson stuck his foot out...

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
No point paying big money for Addo Carr if all he does is stand out wide with an unmarked run to the line, calling out for the ball, while our forwards tuck it under their arms and accept the first soft tackle that offers itself.
I thought the best forward effort was Tolman on the 4th...like that tactic has really been paying off for us the last five years. Don't get me wrong, the bloke is a machine in defence but he needs to stay out of the way in attack. yeah JAC would be wasted on the wing.... the only thing he would catch would be a cold...

Straight18

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Cant tackle, cant pass, only has played one ok season.
Im fucking still baffled why anyone wanted to move him from the wing in the first place.

In 3 years the only hooker the club and coach attracted was a bloke who called them because he could not get a contract anywhere else. Sack the fucking lot of them.

Straight18

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Agree. Safe as a bank last year at fullback was DWZ. Off night and as you say not a lot of protection from the others. thought he was on his way until that oompa loompa Ferguson stuck his foot out...
Dallin was never a fullback and never will be. Had a handy year last year but has terrible hands. Penrith new it thats why hes here. We need a fullback that can pass.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Cant tackle, cant pass, only has played one ok season.
Im fucking still baffled why anyone wanted to move him from the wing in the first place.

In 3 years the only hooker the club and coach attracted was a bloke who called them because he could not get a contract anywhere else. Sack the fucking lot of them.
Smart business move, as a result they got him for a cheap price, well done I say.

Go Dogs

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Na DWZ has always been inconsistent under the highball so I wasn't surprised to see him bottle it once he got one wrong. I think the longer he plays at FB the more bits of his game will be exposed and the more people will be calling for another FB.

I personally never thought he would be cutout for the FB role longterm but was happy to have him there until we picked up someone else or moved someone else into the role.

Straight18

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Smart business move, as a result they got him for a cheap price, well done I say.

Go Dogs
But your happy with losing. The rest of us are not. Your happy to lose to save a few bucks.
Very bad bussiness move in my eyes. We still have to spend a certain amount of cap as everyone else.
Forget it u dont understand.
Have the last 3 seasons been good bussiness moves as well. Just dumb.