How watching rugby league brought my broken family back together

Dawain87

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It was 2am on 27 July 2004 when the sound of my father wailing began reverberating around the walls of my family home in Greenacre, western Sydney. I had never heard my father cry properly before.

In the past, as the household joker, he would pretend to cry to make me and my four siblings laugh, so it was hard to understand why he would be doing it in the middle of the night.

I was only six, but the dread soon set in when I realised what was happening was no joke.

He and my mother passed my bedroom door almost in turns, wailing and shrieking. My mother repeated the same line over and over: “Raid’s dizzy, he’s dizzy. He’s dizzy, Raid’s dizzy”.

The paramedics arrived and asked me and my sisters our brother’s date of birth, but that same night my older brother would wake up to hear Raid’s last breath.

My father sobbed to his son:"ya baba, ya baba, waan rehet?" ("oh Dad, oh Dad, where did you go?"). In Arabic, it is a form of endearment to refer to your child by your own parent title.

Raid was only 14 when he died.

He passed away in his sleep with no real cause of death. Our doctors, family and community were left reeling with little answers.

In the weeks that followed, I took on my mother’s grief, my sisters’ shattered friendships with their fun big brother, and my brother and father’s silence, and I tried to grow up in a family that was fundamentally broken.

Later that year, on 3 October, I found myself putting on a brand-new navy Lowes jumper and matching track pants. Navy meant blue, and blue meant the Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs. It was the NRL Grand Final and the Bulldogs were facing rivals the Sydney Roosters.

While admittedly I didn’t understand the game’s rules, I knew it was important to be loyal to the club my late brother had supported. My whole family was huddled around the television as we were declared the 2004 premiers, and suddenly, something changed.

Bulldogs fans are a loud and proud bunch, and the celebrations spilled out on to the street. I’ll never forget seeing the sea of blue and white and I became overwhelmed with a feeling that I had forgotten all about: happiness.

In the years that followed, my father became obsessed with the Bulldogs, or "el-Bulldog", as he calls them. We bonded over who was joining the club, who we loved and who we loathed.

When my father left northern Lebanon in 1975, in the wake of the Lebanese Civil War, he had less than half of one functioning ear and no English knowledge.

But despite his hearing and language challenges, we managed to create our own unique language through the sport. It’s Arabic mixed with English and numbers: “number 13, hoowi [he is] good one!".

He has a particular way of identifying clubs and players. The Roosters are “Sydney City”, Josh Addo-Carr is “Fast One” and Des Hasler is “Abu Sha’ar”, meaning ‘father of hair’. There are many, many more.

It has been 16 years since Raid’s death, and my family fumbles through life, trying to be as functional as possible. Over those same years though, we have celebrated El-Magic’s final game, cried over times the Dogs have been robbed (it was definitely a try from Idris in ’09) and marvelled over three consecutive golden point wins. I've also kept “proud to be a Bulldog” as my MSN personal message status for as long as I can remember.

Being a Bulldog meant I had two families; one that was grieving a loss that we still struggle with, and another that bled blue and filled a void I can only pay my thanks to today.

Often people are surprised I would hold so much value in watching sweaty men pass a ball around a field. I respond simply by saying I grew up watching the sport with my family.

I’ve never dared to explain I discovered rugby league after struggling to share the reality of coping with a heart that was no longer whole, until now.

But this game, the love language I now share with my father, and that magical October 2004 night after weeks of pain all help me breathe a little easier every night.

EDIT: Thought i would share, its not my story FYI. Please see link for original.

https://www.sbs.com.au/news/how-watching-rugby-league-brought-my-broken-family-back-together

Last edited:
A

Alexander the Great

Thats a pretty tough story to read. Hits home for me.

Amazing that the game we are passionate for really means much more to other's.

blue & white blood

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It was 2am on 27 July 2004 when the sound of my father wailing began reverberating around the walls of my family home in Greenacre, western Sydney. I had never heard my father cry properly before.

In the past, as the household joker, he would pretend to cry to make me and my four siblings laugh, so it was hard to understand why he would be doing it in the middle of the night.

I was only six, but the dread soon set in when I realised what was happening was no joke.

He and my mother passed my bedroom door almost in turns, wailing and shrieking. My mother repeated the same line over and over: “Raid’s dizzy, he’s dizzy. He’s dizzy, Raid’s dizzy”.

The paramedics arrived and asked me and my sisters our brother’s date of birth, but that same night my older brother would wake up to hear Raid’s last breath.

My father sobbed to his son:"ya baba, ya baba, waan rehet?" ("oh Dad, oh Dad, where did you go?"). In Arabic, it is a form of endearment to refer to your child by your own parent title.

He passed away in his sleep with no real cause of death. Our doctors, family and community were left reeling with little answers.

In the weeks that followed, I took on my mother’s grief, my sisters’ shattered friendships with their fun big brother, and my brother and father’s silence, and I tried to grow up in a family that was fundamentally broken.

Later that year, on 3 October, I found myself putting on a brand-new navy Lowes jumper and matching track pants. Navy meant blue, and blue meant the Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs. It was the NRL Grand Final and the Bulldogs were facing rivals the Sydney Roosters.

While admittedly I didn’t understand the game’s rules, I knew it was important to be loyal to the club my late brother had supported. My whole family was huddled around the television as we were declared the 2004 premiers, and suddenly, something changed.

Bulldogs fans are a loud and proud bunch, and the celebrations spilled out on to the street. I’ll never forget seeing the sea of blue and white and I became overwhelmed with a feeling that I had forgotten all about: happiness.

In the years that followed, my father became obsessed with the Bulldogs, or "el-Bulldog", as he calls them. We bonded over who was joining the club, who we loved and who we loathed.

When my father left northern Lebanon in 1975, in the wake of the Lebanese Civil War, he had less than half of one functioning ear and no English knowledge.

But despite his hearing and language challenges, we managed to create our own unique language through the sport. It’s Arabic mixed with English and numbers: “number 13, hoowi [he is] good one!".

He has a particular way of identifying clubs and players. The Roosters are “Sydney City”, Josh Addo-Carr is “Fast One” and Des Hasler is “Abu Sha’ar”, meaning ‘father of hair’. There are many, many more.

It has been 16 years since Raid’s death, and my family fumbles through life, trying to be as functional as possible. Over those same years though, we have celebrated El-Magic’s final game, cried over times the Dogs have been robbed (it was definitely a try from Idris in ’09) and marvelled over three consecutive golden point wins. I've also kept “proud to be a Bulldog” as my MSN personal message status for as long as I can remember.

Being a Bulldog meant I had two families; one that was grieving a loss that we still struggle with, and another that bled blue and filled a void I can only pay my thanks to today.

Often people are surprised I would hold so much value in watching sweaty men pass a ball around a field. I respond simply by saying I grew up watching the sport with my family.

I’ve never dared to explain I discovered rugby league after struggling to share the reality of coping with a heart that was no longer whole, until now.

But this game, the love language I now share with my father, and that magical October 2004 night after weeks of pain all help me breathe a little easier every night.

https://www.sbs.com.au/news/how-watching-rugby-league-brought-my-broken-family-back-together
Wow! very tough read, Being from an Italian family I can Identify with everything you are saying, and even though It's been a long time I sympathies the loss of your brother but it sounds like your beautiful, close nit family have kept his spirit alive through our beloved Bulldogs.
A very touching, well written story, Thank You for sharing it with us & lots of love & best wishes to you & your family

QLDdogsfan

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Rugby leagues a special game it can get us through the toughest of times and pull total strangers together.
The Bulldogs in particular we cop a bit of flack in the media etc but i love the club and always will.
Thanks for sharing mate.

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
The loss of a child is something no parent should have to go through and it’s every parents greatest fear.Thankyou for sharing your story and may you all find peace

Phalangist

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
thank you for sharing that story, sport has a way of bringing people together and i’m glad our bulldogs helped you and your family out through such a tough period.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
The one thing that resonated with me from the article, having recently lost both a child and a parent was this: "and my family fumbles through life, trying to be as functional as possible". People talk about "getting over it", but, even in time, I think you never really do when something tragic happens, you just learn to live with it. It's something that will never leave you.

A

Alexander the Great

I think when children are involved you can get never get over that but you live with it he best you can.
You and your partner stay strong together and if possible try again.
Ill keep you in my prayers mate.

The one thing that resonated with me from the article, having recently lost both a child and a parent was this: "and my family fumbles through life, trying to be as functional as possible". People talk about "getting over it", but, even in time, I think you never really do when something tragic happens, you just learn to live with it. It's something that will never leave you.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Really enjoyed reading that and a great lesson in how from the worst of times, something positive can be discovered.

Reminds me of the thread from @Slovenia Steve a while back where everyone shared their stories of how they came to follow the Dogs.

I couldn’t imagine the heartbreak of losing a child and to all those who have and emerged on the other side (simply because you have no choice) I offer my respect and best wishes for a better future.

MatstaDogg

The Bearded Baker
Premium Member
Reaction score
I come from a family of Bulldog supporters. Unfortunately i have lost my Father, Mother and Brother over the years. We lived and breathed the Bulldogs, especially me and my brother. We would always be talking and discussing the Bulldogs, in person or by phone, the good, the bad and the ugly. I swear my brother had no other clothes but Bulldogs gear (he did but rarely wore anything but). We were a close family, brought even closer by our love for the Blue and White. As each passing came, the dynamics of game day changed, it never felt the same but at the same time, it still felt like we were all still connected because of our love for the Bulldogs. I have many memories of my family, due to our support of the team, that will always live on inside of me.

The hardest part, is that I miss being able to discuss the Bulldogs with them, and sitting around the tv or at the stadium with them supporting the team on game day, even years later. But, the Bulldogs and my family will always have that common denominator, so even though they are not here, part of them still is through our "family club", the mighty Canterbury Bankstown Bulldogs!

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score

EDIT: Thought i would share, its not my story FYI. Please see link for original.

Beautiful but sad story that. Thanks for sharing.

DoggyStyla

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
What an amazing story. I’m in my late 40’s these days. But I remember as a teenager full of rebellion and angst, the one thing Dad and I always had was Rugby League but most of all the Bulldogs. My dads worked for Kango Wolf, and they were a sleeve sponsor of the Dogs. He took me to closed training sessions, every home game and I was there when Lamb took out Hanley. The family club definitely is part of my family.