News Bulldogs coach Dean Pay the man to help Canterbury recover from scandal

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
If CHN is sacked don't expect it to be the end of the saga. As I'd expect a legal case and appeal to the matter. Originally I wanted us to be pro active and sack before the NRL but I'm against that now... Imagine having this twisted on us despite trying to take the moral high ground lol

bricktamland

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Did anyone see the video or chn bending that girl over in the port maqurie night club toilets? Looked like Okunbor was filming over the top

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
According to the evidence to date that’s factually incorrect, no abuse of power, not in a position of authority, no engagement on site.

Go Dogs
Happy to be corrected - was the initial meeting whilst at the school event at which time contact details exchanged etc - if so its a problem. If it was a random meeting beforehand there may be wiggle room. Makes a big difference.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
There’s a social media post where he asks if she was there today, plainly that’s evidence that he didn’t know until she confirmed. Obviously he didn’t “pick/chat her up” at school. The pictures are meaningless, players have 100’s of pictures taken everyday and wouldn’t remember most of them even being taken let alone who was in them.

Go Dogs
No. She posted a photo of them together at the school. Whether it was the same day or who initiated the post is not relevant. They met at the school.

Under the working with children legislation it is made as plain as day that anyone engaging with children at a school or school function (teacher, parent, volunteer, visitor) are not to engage with children outside the capacity in which they are working with them.

That includes swapping phone numbers, social media messages etc. I’ve personally done the training several times and there’s nothing ambiguous about it.

Okonbor (at least) was REQUIRED to either ignore contact (if she initiated - but even worse it appears he did) or if she initiated to tell the girl it was not appropriate and he could not engage with her outside his official capacity. Further, if she initiated he was required to report it to the school principal.

Clearly that’s not what happened given what transpired later that evening.

Feel free to look up the legislation if you believe otherwise.

Last edited:

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Comparing? No. Possibly contributed? Yes.
Don't know mate. Dont' see the sense of even bringing that up as they're two clearly seperate cases and incidents.

Imagine you're goign down the route that Pay was lenient in the past, was acting a bit like the lads and perhaps the boys took that the wrong way and / or lost a little respect for him?

Maybe it's true, but think it's pretty clear Pay and the Dogs were brutally honest with all the lads after that encounter NOT to act up again. Brutally honest with the lads before going on these tripy NOT to act up again. Whether Pay was inconsistent or whatever point you're trying to make about Elliot is true, I really don't see the connection to here. If they indeed acted out because he wasn't hard enough, or was hypocritical or whatever you're trying to say then ... they really do need to be let go.

Riggs80

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Did anyone see the video or chn bending that girl over in the port maqurie night club toilets? Looked like Okunbor was filming over the top
That was fake (not them)from what everyone has said

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Don’t know if this has been posted else where

NRL must find a 'crime' to fit punishment for Dogs duo

Malcolm Knox
Sports columnist
March 14, 2020 — 12.01am
Share on Whatsapp
  • Send via Email
Rugby league’s twin pin-ups of the week, Corey Harawira-Naera and Jayden Okunbor, did nothing illegal in Port Macquarie. And yet they are guilty, certainly, of something. The NRL’s job is to find an appropriate punishment, but also, much more trickily, to find a ‘crime against league’ that fits.

There was no actual criminal act because their sexual partners in Port were of an age that the law slides around. There is no suggestion the sexual contact was not consensual, and indeed, to cast the girls as passive victims is to deny them sexual agency. This does not make them victims or the footballers predators, or vice versa; it simply leaves them as four heedless young people who followed their appetites into a world of adult consequence.

The transgression for which the players have been stood aside is a code of conduct breach at the Bulldogs club, which prohibits players bringing guests to their hotel rooms. If you’ll recall, two Wallabies players fell into similar strife a couple of years ago, when they were dropped for breaching team protocol by having female visitors in their hotel room after a Test match. Even though one of the females was her host’s sister-in-law, and nothing more transgressive than a game of pinochle took place. More took place in Port, but if you are a player, your clear take-away from this code of conduct breach is that if you meet a girl and the pair of you want to have sex, you ought to do it in a car, a park or a phone booth, up a tree or in a bathroom … anywhere in fact, so long as it is not the pure sacristy of the team hotel.

If there is a sub-sub-transgression, it is the lingering bad odour of ‘schoolgirls’ being predated upon. But what happened was a little more convoluted. One of the girls met one of the players during a school visit, but she had to send him a picture to remind him. The other girl did not meet the players during the visit. Nevertheless, the image of school uniforms, and the mere word ‘schoolgirls’, are enough to set off a moral panic; however long the bow that is drawn, however far apart the dots that must be joined, to make that narrative.

Initially, I’d thought the players’ offence was against public health, and that by swapping saliva with members of the public, the two Bulldogs players were potentially endangering all Bulldogs, match officials, competitors and fans they encountered during the next 14 days, and the Dogs would now have to stage their campaign to avoid the wooden spoon before empty stadiums (in case you could tell the difference). But no, it wasn’t about health; this was the one story in the whole world that was not about COVID bloody 19.

Then the conversation turned to how Okunbor and Harawira-Naera brought the game of rugby league into disrepute. Jokes aside, rugby league thrives on disrepute like mushrooms thrive on cowpats. The comedy of disrepute extended to the restaurant chain Rashays (The Best Casual Restaurant & Cafe Near You – Get a Schnitty for $10 Today & Tomorrow ONLY!), which was about to sign a jersey sponsorship with the Bulldogs, but pulled out after the Port incident. In fear of being brought into disrepute, Rashays coupled its name indelibly with ‘Bulldogs’ and ‘Port Macquarie’ by making lengthy public statements about just how much disrepute it narrowly avoided.

And by the end of this performance, you could still get a schnitty for $10 yesterday and the day before. Port (which, along with Coffs Harbour, might have its own case for being brought into disrepute by the Bulldogs – where next, Taree?) will no doubt soon have a Rashays of its own. I’ve never seen a restaurant chain get so much publicity for not wanting to be associated with publicity.

As flamboyant as Rashays was in publicly distancing itself from the Bulldogs, nobody looked quite as much as if they could do with a free schnitty as poor old Dean Pay. There was the Bulldogs coach, alongside his chief executive Andrew Hill, in a press conference trying to evade the task of defending the indefensible or explain the inexplicable. Both looked as if they had seen the same ghost. These were hard-working servants of the game who had been made to look like fools.

It was while watching the fooled Pay and Hill, considering all this disrepute, that the penny finally dropped. The transgression that has been committed is that of making fools out of … everyone. The two players had made fools of Pay and Hill. They made fools of the NRL and its message of respect for women. They made fools of those members of the public who believe and accept the message that rugby league players routinely disrespect women. They made fools of the Women in League, and for that matter the Men in League.

There are many who never believe any of that PR in the first place, who have a cynical view of rugby league, a cynicism cloaked in amusement. This incident is so rugby league; it’s even more rugby league than actual games of rugby league. It speaks to a great big pantomime: here are the things that league says it believes in, here are the people league says it speaks for, but it’s all show. What is really happening in rugby league is dumb young men with narcissistic pride in their bodies and a sense of entitlement, whose current adventure in life is about any opportunity that comes their way in their brief moment of youth and celebrity. Everything else is hypocrisy.

This incident is not on the same continuum as the serious crimes involving violence, drugs and drink-driving for which league players have been convicted. Instead it belongs with the party-boy peccadillos, the stupid shit. These aren’t hanging offences, but in some ways they are the most corrosive acts a league player can commit, because they are saying that all the high-minded professions of morality, all the modernising of culture, all the charity work and championing of progressive causes, are really just an act for the cameras that league players are dragooned into performing, while what’s really happening, what’s really on their minds, is not much different from what was on their minds back in the dark ages.

These players are guilty of lifting a lid to reveal the real world of rugby league, a world that never caught up. Harawira-Naera and Okunbor have been caught making fools of too many people, inside and outside the game, to get away unpunished. Their actions have exposed a pantomime made of cardboard sets. In order to restore its own dignity, the game is now facing the task of inventing a ‘crime against league’ to fit the punishment.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/nr...-punishment-for-dogs-duo-20200312-p549m5.html
This article left me wondering who's side he was on?

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Wow you are amazing if you can recognize someone from the back of their head.. lol okunbor filming? Wow you've got a very creative imagination.

I've seen the video and you are off your tree.. statements like you made are part of the problem
. The only reason it wasn't deleted is so i could be dispell the rubbish you just wrote

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Wow you are amazing if you can recognize someone from the back of their head.. lol okunbor filming? Wow you've got a very creative imagination.

I've seen the video and you are off your tree.. statements like you made are part of the problem
. The only reason it wasn't deleted is so i could be dispell the rubbish you just wrote
I confirm the video provides no evidence. It shows a male with dark hair bonking a young female from behind in a toilet cubicle and someone is filming over the top of the cubicle. Towards the end the girl looks at the camera and doesn’t appear shocked or upset at the filming and the video is tagged as being filmed at ‘Altitude Nightclub Port Macquarie’ but there’s no specific evidence this is true nor any evidence that either of the Bulldogs players are present.

The Dominator

Kennel Established
Reaction score
This article left me wondering who's side he was on?
That article was very observant i think. In fact it sums up much of the world. Everyone is madly trying to appear so high and mighty on the outside when the reality is we are all extremely flawed people making mistakes and giving in to desire.

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Watched Dymock and Holbrook go around yesterday... Dare I say they probably should be coaching the dogs atm considering they both had a fair bit of time at Belmore.
Didn’t the titans get flogged?

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Didn’t the titans get flogged?
With no front row and versing the likely premiers. Ash Taylor ruined the game for them in the first 10min.. After the half time talk they played well to get back in the game then just got outclassed.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
No. She posted a photo of them together at the school. Whether it was the same day or who initiated the post is not relevant. They met at the school.

Under the working with children legislation it is made as plain as day that anyone engaging with children at a school or school function (teacher, parent, volunteer, visitor) are not to engage with children outside the capacity in which they are working with them.

That includes swapping phone numbers, social media messages etc. I’ve personally done the training several times and there’s nothing ambiguous about it.

Okonbor (at least) was REQUIRED to either ignore contact (if she initiated - but even worse it appears he did) or if she initiated to tell the girl it was not appropriate and he could not engage with her outside his official capacity. Further, if she initiated he was required to report it to the school principal.

Clearly that’s not what happened given what transpired later that evening.

Feel free to look up the legislation if you believe otherwise.
Depends on your definition of “MET”, just being in the same picture to me is NOT MET. “MET” to me means talking face to face, shaking hands, introductions and names exchanged. I have hundreds of pictures of me with Bulldogs players taken in the last couple of years, but I’ve really only “met” 30 or so.

In the social media post she had to tell him that she was there, that to me means they hadn’t actually “met”. Most likely because the players had had their pictures taken with almost everyone in the school, which is most common.

Go Dogs

Shire Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I confirm the video provides no evidence. It shows a male with dark hair bonking a young female from behind in a toilet cubicle and someone is filming over the top of the cubicle. Towards the end the girl looks at the camera and doesn’t appear shocked or upset at the filming and the video is tagged as being filmed at ‘Altitude Nightclub Port Macquarie’ but there’s no specific evidence this is true nor any evidence that either of the Bulldogs players are present.
I watched it last night and can definitely hear the loud music in the background
Also noticed the person filming stopped as soon as she looked up and then walks into a small crowd
There was no panic or shock from her at all
I’m no way certain but the guy doing the deed looks a lot like you know who
Just my personal opinion

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Depends on your definition of “MET”, just being in the same picture to me is NOT MET. “MET” to me means talking face to face, shaking hands, introductions and names exchanged. I have hundreds of pictures of me with Bulldogs players taken in the last couple of years, but I’ve really only “met” 30 or so.

In the social media post she had to tell him that she was there, that to me means they hadn’t actually “met”. Most likely because the players had had their pictures taken with almost everyone in the school, which is most common.

Go Dogs
There’s no point arguing semantics about ‘met’. If you have your arm around someone you’ve interacted with them.

In the example you gave I’m sure said photos were not taken at schools and irrespective you’re an adult and so are the players you had your photos taken with, so no Working with Children legislation issues.

In the case at hand, that legislation applies - it is taken very seriously and ignorance is not an excuse - unless the accused can provide clear evidence that they were not adequately trained/informed about their responsibilities before the interaction took place - which would the potentially open liability to another party - evidence we have not seen to this point.