Coronavirus.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I just don't understand the purpose of banning certain things when you are still going to have thousands of people interacting on public transport, at shopping centres, etc etc
Research starting to come out on the behaviour of the virus does, as I understand it, make this sensible. Something to do with life span of the virus on surfaces (not long), and length of exposure to virus (makes a huge difference). Maybe someone more in the know can confirm or deny this.

Also, though thousands of people use public transport, they aren't all interacting with each other, public transport tends to naturally segregate people into small groups.

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Research starting to come out on the behaviour of the virus does, as I understand it, make this sensible. Something to do with life span of the virus on surfaces (not long), and length of exposure to virus (makes a huge difference). Maybe someone more in the know can confirm or deny this.

Also, though thousands of people use public transport, they aren't all interacting with each other, public transport tends to naturally segregate people into small groups.

sounds like a load of guff, but ok

..peak hour?

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
I just don't understand the purpose of banning certain things when you are still going to have thousands of people interacting on public transport, at shopping centres, etc etc
Basically put, ScoMo is shit at leading. Even my Liberal voting friends are laughing at how stupid the press conference was. They're comparing it to when he buggered off to Hawaii

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score

From what I've heard from the experts, virus stays on the surface from anywhere between 2 hours and 9 days depending on how porous the surface is.

The main form of transmission is people coughing on to their hands then touching the surface, or just touching their mouth then touching the surface, then someone else touching that surface and picking it up.

A bus isn't too bad, but a train is pretty horrible. Considering that a large number of people will have to hold rails or supports to stand up.

Considering that anyone with the virus will likely have also rubbed it on their clothes, then rubbing up against them will also spread the virus.

Public transport is pretty great for spreading a virus like this.

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Basically put, ScoMo is shit at leading. Even my Liberal voting friends are laughing at how stupid the press conference was. They're comparing it to when he buggered off to Hawaii
yeah I know, but this is not a Scomo thing, as you'd know, there are plenty of other countries doing similar

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
From what I've heard from the experts, virus stays on the surface from anywhere between 2 hours and 9 days depending on how porous the surface is.

The main form of transmission is people coughing on to their hands then touching the surface, or just touching their mouth then touching the surface, then someone else touching that surface and picking it up.

A bus isn't too bad, but a train is pretty horrible. Considering that a large number of people will have to hold rails or supports to stand up.

Considering that anyone with the virus will likely have also rubbed it on their clothes, then rubbing up against them will also spread the virus.

Public transport is pretty great for spreading a virus like this.
So it comes down to economics then. Lower risk by reducing interaction between people, and the mass interactions that are least important get cancelled first.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
yeah I know, but this is not a Scomo thing, as you'd know, there are plenty of other countries doing similar
Yep. America have been worse than us. Even now Trump is telling people that they have the best response and blaming it on his opposition.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
So it comes down to economics then. Lower risk by reducing interaction between people, and the mass interactions that are least important get cancelled first.
Yep. The best course of action is to wash your hands often and don't make physical contact with people, and avoid touching any surfaces and if you do, wash your hands before eating or touching your face.

Problem is that this is very hard to follow. You don't think about it and end up touching surfaces and touching your face regardless. So safest bet is to avoid large open spaces especially places where others have been recently.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Honestly I highly recommend listening to the Coronacast podcast. It's an Australian podcast but people all over the world are listening to it. It's short and very informative.

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Weird, could have sworn it was ScoMo at the press conference, talking to the cameras and pretending to be PM of Australia.

Maybe you should read my initial question lol I am asking what the purpose of bans on certain things is when thousands of people are going to be interacting in every day scenarios... ScoMo might be the one to implement it here, but he wasn't the one to start the trend

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Maybe you should read my initial question lol I am asking what the purpose of bans on certain things is when thousands of people are going to be interacting in every day scenarios... ScoMo might be the one to implement it here, but he wasn't the one to start the trend
There are some hints in BoJo's press conference. Same side of politics, and he looks half mad, but a much better press conference. BoJo and the experts he regularly referred and deferred to spoke about efforts to slow down the spread to give their health system a better chance of managing the more critical cases as they come along.

Compare that with what is going on in some towns in Northern Italy right now, and that seems to be a sensible approach. Don't hand wave about the situation like Trump has done, don't try and be blokey matey about it and make casual remarks that hint you aren't taking it seriously like ScoMo, but don't panic either. Calm, sensible, serious, outline a clear plan, show clearly that you are being guided by the people with most relevant knowledge and experience.

TBH the political leaders are between a rock and a hard place. No matter what they do they are going to cop it, this is a lose lose situation and as it progresses they will almost certainly be accused of serious negligence one way or another. If they take things ultra-serious and unwind a plan that is designed to seriously slow the spread of the virus, it will impact the economy, and as it does so they will be accused of being panic merchants. They won't get much thanks when their actions result in less illness and death. On the other hand if they try to keep the economy humming by not taking strong action, they run the serious risk that there will end up being many more deaths than there needed to be, let alone a Northern Italy situation where hospitals are completely overwhelmed and people are left to die in their homes, and are being left there for days, no trip to the morgue. In that case the pollies will be hammered for not having done enough, and the economy will end up getting slammed anyway.

I think in the washup the general concensus coming out of this this will be that this was the wrong time in Australia's history to have Scotty from marketing as political leader.

He's got one thing going for him though, rival Dutton has the virus, bet I can guess what Scotty will be praying for at church this weekend...

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Australia confirmed 43 new cases in the last 12 hours. We're now at 199 cases.

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
alright I'm bored of this.. you guys can continue the circle jerk

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Latest figures from John Hopkins data mean that Italy has about 4 times the infection rate of China, based on population / confirmed cases.

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Can't claim to be an expert on this, but have tried to keep abreast of it all considering how much is going on in Italy and now Slovenia where I live.

The issue with this virus is that it's been passed from one person to the other without showing symptoms. That means it's incredibly difficult to isolate and quarantine infected populations, which is why Italy and now Slovenia have compeletly shut down. In fact, when you catch this virus it's the most infectious time.

Adding to this it's not only surface transfer but airborne too. Not to the same degree as chickenpox for example, but it's in the air which makes it even harder to control. We're all looking at not touching objects, but are still breathing it in apparently.

I'm honestly really concerned for Aus because it doesn't seem like anyone is truly taking it seriously.

Blue_boost

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Two ways to overcome corona virus

1. at the gym tonight... There are some guys there that would have diseases much worse than corona virus. I'm thinking if you catch one of their diseases the corona virus wouldnt last 10 minutes on them, they would choke the corona virus, if a fly invades their airspace within a metre the fly will spontaneously just drop cold to the floor

2. there is a Chinese restaurant in Sydney's west, they haven't changed their cooking oil in a good 25 years , I dunno what's in that broth but a few times I've had the worst flu ever, on deaths door, could abarely stand up, ate their food and later that night I was on the podium at rogues night club. Complete recovery and it's worked for me a few times.

It's like an atomic bomb goes off in your guts, kills everything good and bad, blows the furniture everywhere. I'd like to size up the corona virus with a greasy satay beef fried rice takeaway from them.

Last edited:

MatstaDogg

The Bearded Baker
Premium Member
Reaction score
Fuck, even the Orgies have suffered. Well there goes my plans :tearsofjoy:

CORONAVIRUS MAR. 12, 2020
Even the Orgies Are Canceled
By Anna Silman@annaesilman

Photo: FlairImages/Getty Images/iStockphoto

Perhaps we should have seen this coming. After being told repeatedly to stop touching our own faces, some of the country’s most popular erotic gatherings are now taking measures to stop you from touching other people’s faces (as well as anywhere else you like to consensually touch and be touched).

After initial reports that that they would continue with business as usual, elite sex club SNCTM announced yesterday it has postponed its L.A. masquerade until further notice, and will make a decision on its forthcoming New York masquerade in the next few weeks. Skirt Club, the sex club which hosts all-female play parties, announced that it is planning to reschedule its March events in London, New York and L.A., and “[do] not encourage members to interact in person unless necessary.” (They note, however, that “absence makes the heart grow fonder.”) Meanwhile the New York “members-only open love club” NSFW is canceling its events through March 20, but will be offering private clubhouse rentals to members in its place.

Still, it’s not a total dry spell. On its website, makeout party hotspot House of Scorpio, which hosts “sexy NYC parties for the arty and the geeky” says they plan to stay open for now, detailing a long list of precautions they have taken including “switching to disposable towels, purchasing an antibacterial air purifier and putting out hand sanitizer for use by all guests.”

Guess we’ll find out which of those orgies could have been phone sex after all

Status
Not open for further replies.