Tolman

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Surely we can't go another full season of Tolman playing 50-60 minutes taking two hitups a set? Last night he was honestly making three and four metres a run and just surrenders to the defence. Then we get a slow play the ball and the next guy makes no yards because of Tolman's run. Then Tolman repeats the process two tackles later...

No hint of an offload or tackle break and nothing resembling a ten metre carry.. He's a ball hog like Gallen but without the roids and peptides.

At what point do our halves or the coaches tell him to get out of the way or bench him? Playing him 50 minutes straight to start the game and not again after that was bizarre minute management by Pay.

Renouf and RFM needed to get on earlier to spell Napa and Tolman and provide some impact.

MatstaDogg

The Bearded Baker
Premium Member
Reaction score
As I said in the Stimson thread, Tolman is more of a hindrance in the attacking zone then anything. He does some good but offers nothing when we have the ball except burn tackles and kills momentum.

simmmo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
They need to give Tolman a back office role or something. Bloke has got to hang em up immediately. Trouble is, the more you get dominated in the ruck, the more Pay seems to like you... Pay is the prob

Dogzof95

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tolman is 30 years old, he will get another 3 year extension unfortunately!

UndeadShadowMan

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Blame Lewis for constantly passing to him when there are way better attacking options available

simmmo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tolman is 30 years old, he will get another 3 year extension unfortunately!

Bloke needs to go to England so he can make some money. Great club man, so they should get him involved with admin somewhere when he's finished in Super League. They need to tap the bloke on the shoulder. Release him immediately, with a handshake agreement to give him a job when he retires. That's the way to do it with dignity.

Delta

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Tolman is a great player and important for the club. Experienced, leadership role in the clubhouse.

TOLMAN LOCKS DOWN THE MIDDLE OF OUR FIELD. HE TACKLES EVERYTHING AND RARELY MISSES.

DO NOT TAKE THIS FOR GRANTED. IT IS NOT AS EASY AS YOU THINK IT IS.

Horse

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Overreaction.

Had a solid game last night outside of that fumble in the play-the-ball. Defence solid as ever and took some tough carries for 100m in what was a pretty bruising period that he was out there.

Turned up at a couple of crucial moments in defence as he often does. As @Delta said above, the work he does is criminally underrated. We saw how flimsy our middle third was in defence in the 6 week period that he was missing last year. He’s a fantastic defender and communicator.

We haven’t had single try scored against us in the 100 odd minutes that he’s been on the paddock in the past 2 games. Read into that what you will.

simmmo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tolman is a great player and important for the club. Experienced, leadership role in the clubhouse.

TOLMAN LOCKS DOWN THE MIDDLE OF OUR FIELD. HE TACKLES EVERYTHING AND RARELY MISSES.

DO NOT TAKE THIS FOR GRANTED. IT IS NOT AS EASY AS YOU THINK IT IS.
Yes, but how many years have we been going with the same players and without success?

Tolman has some qualities, but sadly is not a top player anymore. You got to do more than just plug the middle of the field. A frontrower's job is to get us up the field. That's where we are sorely lacking.

Cappuccino

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Get rid of this **** ASAP

Lets get him on snapchat and make him the mid north coast ambassador, that should get rid of him quick enough

Cappuccino

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Surely we can't go another full season of Tolman playing 50-60 minutes taking two hitups a set? Last night he was honestly making three and four metres a run and just surrenders to the defence. Then we get a slow play the ball and the next guy makes no yards because of Tolman's run. Then Tolman repeats the process two tackles later...

No hint of an offload or tackle break and nothing resembling a ten metre carry.. He's a ball hog like Gallen but without the roids and peptides.

At what point do our halves or the coaches tell him to get out of the way or bench him? Playing him 50 minutes straight to start the game and not again after that was bizarre minute management by Pay.

Renouf and RFM needed to get on earlier to spell Napa and Tolman and provide some impact.
The king of plodding

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Last night in attack was more of the same - the least capable attacking players in the team handle the ball more often than others - Tolman and Lewis offer nothing in attack yet handle the ball repeatedly every set.
Gallen was a problem for the sharkies attack and when playing for NSW 9 he n Greg Bird together were a nightmare in attack.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Last night in attack was more of the same - the least capable attacking players in the team handle the ball more often than others - Tolman and Lewis offer nothing in attack yet handle the ball repeatedly every set.
Gallen was a problem for the sharkies attack and when playing for NSW 9 he n Greg Bird together were a nightmare in attack.
I felt for Wakeham last night, he desperately wanted to be more involved and play his game but was severely limited by the tactics employed and senior players pulling rank. I really find it hard to believe someone like shifty would look at Wakeham and Lewis and then claim Lewis is more suitable for the role of halfback lol.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Overreaction.

Had a solid game last night outside of that fumble in the play-the-ball. Defence solid as ever and took some tough carries for 100m in what was a pretty bruising period that he was out there.

Turned up at a couple of crucial moments in defence as he often does. As @Delta said above, the work he does is criminally underrated. We saw how flimsy our middle third was in defence in the 6 week period that he was missing last year. He’s a fantastic defender and communicator.

We haven’t had single try scored against us
I don't take Tolman's defence for granted. He's one of the best defensive forwards in the comp. I've always praised him for that. But he shouldn't be taking two hitups a set as he offers no impact, slow play the balls and minimal yardage.

It's not an overreaction, Tolman getting in the way in attack and having too many ineffectual runs has been an issue dating back to Des' last few seasons. Nothing has changed.

If Tolman was a tackling machine lock who only ran it a handful of times so they were quality runs over quantity then I wouldn't have an issue. But Tolman can't help himself and insists on hogging it.

So many people disagree with me because they don't like anyone questioning Tolman as he's such a great clubman and works so hard every game. No one is doubting that.

But we're on track for our fourth year in a row missing the finals and having Tolman playing huge minutes and having 20 carries a game is a huge part of the problem. At what point do they address and change things which clearly aren't working?

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Get rid of this **** ASAP

Lets get him on snapchat and make him the mid north coast ambassador, that should get rid of him quick enough
What a stupid thing to even joke about. Tolman turns up every week and gives his all and was solid again last night

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
I felt for Wakeham last night, he desperately wanted to be more involved and play his game but was severely limited by the tactics employed and senior players pulling rank. I really find it hard to believe someone like shifty would look at Wakeham and Lewis and then claim Lewis is more suitable for the role of halfback lol.
I agree with your view - Lewis is a handbrake in attack and gets too much ball - hopefully it wasn't planned that way and gets rectified - I understand Lewis defensively is very good but a team needs to score points to win games.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I agree with your view - Lewis is a handbrake in attack and gets too much ball - hopefully it wasn't planned that way and gets rectified - I understand Lewis defensively is very good but a team needs to score points to win games.
It's a novel concept isn't it? Who knew a team full of defensive players and a defensive gameplan meant that we'd struggle to score points? Even the mentality of taking the shot at goal again when we were already up 2-0 shows just how conservative Pay is.

Our defence is good enough to keep us in most games. But if we fall behind early it's going to be very hard to chase points down and it leaves little margin for error which puts too much pressure on us defensively.