News NRL gender adviser’s take on scandal, Paul Crawley, The Daily Telegraph

Crosscut

Waterboy
Reaction score
"When it comes to NRL players, they are not allowed to have consensual sex in the context of bringing someone to their hotel room". So if a player travelled to Port Macq with his gf or wife they cant be together in the hotel room? Who the hell writes this Code of Conduct bullshit?
I see this as a massive intrusion into the civil rights of individuals. Its a bullshit pc protocol. Should a players $450kpa livelihood be taken away from them because some bulLshit pc protocol is broken?

Other players are charged with high range DUI and are let off with a fine. Ask the family at Oatlands whether having consensual sex is as bad as turning a blind eye to a high range DUI. What about beating your wife and being charged by the police? That's OK also?

I bet my house many players take girls back to their rooms when staying away for the weekend when touring. Ask Matty Johns.

Jesus Christ I cant stand this pc bullshit, much less the power without any reference to fairness or societal acceptance and norms that lays in the hands of 1 man Todd Greenberg. What does the NRL really expect? Is the agenda to turn the competition into an Amish revival?

This is an over the top intrusion into the private lives of individuals if these players are sacked. What gives Greenberg the right to say they are sacked from the Dogs this year...but can be picked up by any other club next year? This on the back of the pathetic compensation we got for Forans injury. This will do me. IM OUT!!!
You raise some valid points. The hypocrisy of the NRL and their treatment of breaches. It seems that it's ok to drive over the limit (Inglis) or beat the crap out of someone (Wighton ) than have sex with someone. Dr Lumby is right on the point of that it's not a sex scandal. This is about the power of the corporates to intrude into the private lives of their employees. I met my wife at work whist employed by a big company yet even the govt. has a "no bonking policy". We are so puritanical when it comes to sex. Rashays say they are a family restaurant and that this incident doesn't uphold their values. What values ? That people don't have consensual sex? That that sex was pre-marital? So perhaps it's about their morals? FFS they are a restaurant and yes they were about to be sponsors but isn't this about the players breaking a code of conduct ? There is so much hypocrisy here. The NRL are a joke. Those players were foolish but they do not deserve the sack.

silva

Utility
Reaction score
Spot on.
Club had no business making this public and heads should roll as a result of the lack of judgement. They created this mess and should be held accountable.

xreedmatic

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Spot on.
Club had no business making this public and heads should roll as a result of the lack of judgement. They created this mess and should be held accountable.
Club had to come out, as the girls and their bimbo mates were spreading the messages and photos all over social media quicker than the coronavirus

finchie

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I can’t believe people still read or buy that shit honestly
Like the low level of journalism and bs is on another scale nowadays.

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Lumby is correct, right from the start this was a nothing story except for two things; breach of NRL and Bulldogs code, and then, which was always going to be a bigger problem right from the start, that there was a school and an officially sanctioned event in the context. On both counts it is a workplace issue.

Sir Col 'The Mushroom'

Rest In Peace Mate
Premium Member
Reaction score
The real problem------------------------------ these morons just have to tell the whole world they finally found some brain dead bimbo to get their rocks off for them.
IF these clowns did not post pictures and/or videos or go public with any of this - guess what - no one would have known and they would have been out there last night playing footy.
The real crime is the stupidity of these knuckle dragging rock apes.

Cappuccino

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Oh ok since they did nothing criminal i guess that makes it okay!

All the people who have been giving me shit for being a filthy rapist kiddy fiddler must have just got their information incorrect!

I will remind them next time they are in the wrong!

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Lumby is correct, right from the start this was a nothing story except for two things; breach of NRL and Bulldogs code, and then, which was always going to be a bigger problem right from the start, that there was a school and an officially sanctioned event in the context. On both counts it is a workplace issue.
Agree that it's not a sex scandal, but in my view that doesn't downgrade the seriousness of it.
Let's leave consensual sex out of it for a moment - there are still workplace issues beyond breach of Bulldogs and NRL codes (of not bringing women back to the team hotel and not engaging with minors any club representative met during an official school visit).
A key part of a workplace issue here would be reflected in their employment contracts and what those contracts say in terms of the clubs right of response based on their conduct.
Specifically how their conduct has damaged the club both in reputation (obvious) and commercially (loss of two sponsors).
Only the club, the player and their manager will know those specifics - and that is most likely what is going to determine the outcome for both parties.

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
You raise some valid points. The hypocrisy of the NRL and their treatment of breaches. It seems that it's ok to drive over the limit (Inglis) or beat the crap out of someone (Wighton ) than have sex with someone. Dr Lumby is right on the point of that it's not a sex scandal. This is about the power of the corporates to intrude into the private lives of their employees. I met my wife at work whist employed by a big company yet even the govt. has a "no bonking policy". We are so puritanical when it comes to sex. Rashays say they are a family restaurant and that this incident doesn't uphold their values. What values ? That people don't have consensual sex? That that sex was pre-marital? So perhaps it's about their morals? FFS they are a restaurant and yes they were about to be sponsors but isn't this about the players breaking a code of conduct ? There is so much hypocrisy here. The NRL are a joke. Those players were foolish but they do not deserve the sack.

The NRL have no leg to stand on. On top of what you mentioned, they take money from and promote alcohol and gambling companies, two industries that destroy lives and homes.. one that takes lives including innocent ones... every week at every game their are half naked young cheerleaders being eye f:hearteyes::hearteyes::hearteyes:d by thousands of boys and men lol but oh no two people of legal age had consensual sex

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
"When it comes to NRL players, they are not allowed to have consensual sex in the context of bringing someone to their hotel room". So if a player travelled to Port Macq with his gf or wife they cant be together in the hotel room? Who the hell writes this Code of Conduct bullshit?
I see this as a massive intrusion into the civil rights of individuals. Its a bullshit pc protocol. Should a players $450kpa livelihood be taken away from them because some bulLshit pc protocol is broken?

Other players are charged with high range DUI and are let off with a fine. Ask the family at Oatlands whether having consensual sex is as bad as turning a blind eye to a high range DUI. What about beating your wife and being charged by the police? That's OK also?

I bet my house many players take girls back to their rooms when staying away for the weekend when touring. Ask Matty Johns.

Jesus Christ I cant stand this pc bullshit, much less the power without any reference to fairness or societal acceptance and norms that lays in the hands of 1 man Todd Greenberg. What does the NRL really expect? Is the agenda to turn the competition into an Amish revival?

This is an over the top intrusion into the private lives of individuals if these players are sacked. What gives Greenberg the right to say they are sacked from the Dogs this year...but can be picked up by any other club next year? This on the back of the pathetic compensation we got for Forans injury. This will do me. IM OUT!!!
Just for some context:

- Generally spouses/partners do not travel with the team. There may be dispensation for selected cases, but that would be an arrangement made with the club in advance of the trip. 'No women in hotel rooms' specifically refers to pickups and arrangements not made in advance.
- No doubt there's girls in hotel rooms on other occasions - but are they girls who were met (at least in Okunbor's case) at a club/NRL sanctioned function which potentially breached duty of care rules that apply to school visits - that likely is a difference.
- I don't think a comparison to the Oatlands incident is accurate. The offender in that case is facing 20 very serious charges (as he should be). Other incidents (eg: De Belin / Scott) are before the courts - this is not a criminal matter. No doubt, if found guilty through a legal process, those offenders will be sanctioned by the NRL.
- I don't think the NRL picks and chooses who it punishes arbitrarily. I agree on the surface it looks inconsistent, but there's reasons why. It's not just Greenberg wielding power.

Last edited:

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Agree that it's not a sex scandal, but in my view that doesn't downgrade the seriousness of it.
Let's leave consensual sex out of it for a moment - there are still workplace issues beyond breach of Bulldogs and NRL codes (of not bringing women back to the team hotel and not engaging with minors any club representative met during an official school visit).
A key part of a workplace issue here would be reflected in their employment contracts and what those contracts say in terms of the clubs right of response based on their conduct.
Specifically how their conduct has damaged the club both in reputation (obvious) and commercially (loss of two sponsors).
Only the club, the player and their manager will know those specifics - and that is most likely what is going to determine the outcome for both parties.
It is very serious, but in a sense this makes it even more important to be accurate. All the garbage going around implying a sex scandal of some sort should be contradicted, because the seriousness of what has happened is getting lost in a cloud of fake news. It is a serious matter, but it is a workplace one and needs to be dealt with in that context. To some degree it is understandable, because the boundaries that are now in place (and that were crossed) have come about as part of the effort to protect the vulnerable, however this does not make the crossing of workplace boundaries a sex offence.

bricktamland

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yep fuck the DT, hypocritical *****. Start fires then act all innocent by playing the opposite role after their damage has been done.
Media are scum they ruin lives no wonder Dugan (douchebag yes) doesn’t talk to them so they Gain up on him they talk about bullying and shit and post all about that dwarf kid but bully grown men

oldpuppy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Raelene was our club's gender advisor in the past.

albatross

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
that's how they operate, they create the problem and play both sides
I know what you're saying but to be fair to the females involved in this, they agree it was consensual. It's more the moral majority and media publicity sluts that are getting carried away with the sex side of this.

For me, (and you might agree) the issue is that they breached team rules and the NRL code of conduct, and should have had a reasonable understanding of the consequences to them and the club if caught. That's what they need to be accountable for. The NRL gender advisor's opinion is sensible and although I was a bit more worked up about this to start with, I'm glad a bit of time will pass before the decision's made, to allow wise heads to prevail.

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
I know what you're saying but to be fair to the females involved in this, they agree it was consensual. It's more the moral majority and media publicity sluts that are getting carried away with the sex side of this.

For me, (and you might agree) the issue is that they breached team rules and the NRL code of conduct, and should have had a reasonable understanding of the consequences to them and the club if caught. That's what they need to be accountable for. The NRL gender advisor's opinion is sensible and although I was a bit more worked up about this to start with, I'm glad a bit of time will pass before the decision's made, to allow wise heads to prevail.

The girls were bragging about it so that side of things should be between the consenting parties. As Freddy said, give them their medicine and let's move on. Todd is doing the whole let emotions simmer routine and that's probably a good thing.