• Yes

Votes: 19 14.5%
  • No

Votes: 112 85.5%

• Total voters

yearofthedogs2018

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I believe this question deserves a thread of its own, with the immediate playing future of one of our best in the air.

After all the publicity from the past week, it is now clear that CHN and Okunbor have committed very different offences. Although the two have been lumped together, has CHN really done an offence warranting a suspension?

While I don’t entirely agree with his actions and believe he should face club sanctions, I don’t believe sacking him is the right option. He makes our side stronger, and as we can see through our performance last night, he’s needed. Sacking him will just allow another club to pick him up, and be realistic, who are the dogs going to pick up to replace him?

It’s not so much that the dogs need him that I want him to stay, however, that truthfully he deserves to stay with the club. CHN was never at the school event, while she was of consensual age. It’s not so much even a moral issue as while CHN has a son with his ex-partner, I believe he was not in a relationship at the time of the offence. The only mistake CHN made was bringing the girl back to the team hotel, hence, a hefty fine and temporary suspension would suffice for an adequate punishment.

Would be interested to hear your thoughts.

Daustin

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Totally agree. Nothing illegal, bad look yes and stupid to go against nrl and bulldogs policy but give him a fine and a 1-2 game suspension. If they sack him it will be the most ridiculous over reaction. Okunbor is a different story

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
No, he should be on his first and only warning though.

MatstaDogg

The Bearded Baker
Premium Member
Reaction score
Should just be a couple weeks suspended and a fine just for braking protocol. Club would be pissed about losing sponsors and being put in the spotlight.

Thing is, what ever happens it's not the Club but the NRL that get to have the last word on what the punishment will be.

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
For using Tik Tok? probably

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
First of all, the decision isn't about keeping him because he makes our side stronger. If that's the case then we create an atmosphere where the elite players can get away with anything, while the rest feel they get punished for much less. Would be hugely detrimental for team harmony.

Personally I'd keep him simply because I don't believe it's a sackable offence if you look at the singular activity. Clearly he was wrong bringing her back to his hotel, however had he slept with her elsewhere there wouldn't have been an issue. So, based on that you'd have to think he'll simply cop a fine and short suspension.

This is assuming there haven't been other incidences, and the club hadn't directly warned him about his behaviour in the past. If he's a repeat offender then in that case he may have a lot more to answer for ....

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I don't think any fair minded person thinks what CHN did was a sackable offense?

Dawain87

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Club did the right thing by telling the NRL who in turn issued the breach notice.
Would be worse if it came out and we looked to sweep it under the carpet.

I dont believe CHN should be sacked for his actions.

I wouldnt be surprised if Okunbor disputes his case and gets issued a big fine, counselling and misses a few games.
Although what he has done was extremely in poor taste it was not illegal and many more men not only footy players are doing the exact same thing on a daily basis, its just he is seen as a role model and public figure hence the backlash.

There was nothing illegal hence why police have not been involved its just brought the game in disrepute.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately it doesn’t matter what we think. By doing something stupid CHN has left the decision in Greenberg’s hands. The club has handled this very well but I think they should have made a bigger effort to separate the two issues. They could have done that by fining and suspending CHN for a game at the time they released the statement on Tuesday and said that Okonbur was under further investigation. I realise it’s a high pressure situation and no one is ever going to get everything right in these situations.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
I believe this question deserves a thread of its own, with the immediate playing future of one of our best in the air.

After all the publicity from the past week, it is now clear that CHN and Okunbor have committed very different offences. Although the two have been lumped together, has CHN really done an offence warranting a suspension?

While I don’t entirely agree with his actions and believe he should face club sanctions, I don’t believe sacking him is the right option. He makes our side stronger, and as we can see through our performance last night, he’s needed. Sacking him will just allow another club to pick him up, and be realistic, who are the dogs going to pick up to replace him?

It’s not so much that the dogs need him that I want him to stay, however, that truthfully he deserves to stay with the club. CHN was never at the school event, while she was of consensual age. It’s not so much even a moral issue as while CHN has a son with his ex-partner, I believe he was not in a relationship at the time of the offence. The only mistake CHN made was bringing the girl back to the team hotel, hence, a hefty fine and temporary suspension would suffice for an adequate punishment.

Would be interested to hear your thoughts.
You make a valid point. The NRL is keen to be seen cracking down on poor off field behavior. If the Dogs do sack him, and the NRL doesn't de-register him, then they have punished the team but not the player by allowing him to pick up a contract with another club. It would make the NRL look hypocritical and pretty one sided when it comes to handing out levels of punishment to some clubs.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
Club did the right thing by telling the NRL who in turn issued the breach notice.
Would be worse if it came out and we looked to sweep it under the carpet.

I dont believe CHN should be sacked for his actions.

I wouldnt be surprised if Okunbor disputes his case and gets issued a big fine, counselling and misses a few games.
Although what he has done was extremely in poor taste it was not illegal and many more men not only footy players are doing the exact same thing on a daily basis, its just he is seen as a role model and public figure hence the backlash.

There was nothing illegal hence why police have not been involved its just brought the game in disrepute.
So far we haven't had the usual line up of militant feminists calling for the club to be shamed and kicked out of the NRL, so that is a positive. It looked like an instance of high profile players grooming young innocent girls; but so far that has not been the story in the media. It will depend on the level of outrage and how long they can keep this in the headlines. If it blows over quickly, the players might get away with a fine and time on the sidelines. If we have to release them, we have done the right thing, and shouldn't be punished by not having their salaries freed under the cap.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
So far we haven't had the usual line up of militant feminists calling for the club to be shamed and kicked out of the NRL, so that is a positive. It looked like an instance of high profile players grooming young innocent girls; but so far that has not been the story in the media. It will depend on the level of outrage and how long they can keep this in the headlines. If it blows over quickly, the players might get away with a fine and time on the sidelines. If we have to release them, we have done the right thing, and shouldn't be punished by not having their salaries freed under the cap.
I haven't heard it mentioned on the radio at all this morning and its slowly moving out of the news cycle at least coronavirus is good for something and will dominate he headlines now.

Dingo

Go the dogs
Gilded
Reaction score
No, let's not overreact here.

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Greenberg will come down harder on our club than he does on others purely because he used to be the CEO and can't be seen as favoring us. At first I thought both should be sacked but I understand CHN's circumstances are different now.

If the NRL insist he be sacked then I'd be telling them he shouldn't be allowed to play anywhere else for the year at least, otherwise he will be signed elsewhere and it will turn into a redemption story.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
The girls were willing participants and the parents aren't getting involved so I don't think militant feminists will get involved.

But....if Murdoch etc circulation drops off, maybe they will interview a few to russle up a bit of outrage.

Don't be blaming feminists when its old white men who drive this sex scandal agenda.

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Greenberg will come down harder on our club than he does on others purely because he used to be the CEO and can't be seen as favoring us. At first I thought both should be sacked but I understand CHN's circumstances are different now.

If the NRL insist he be sacked then I'd be telling them he shouldn't be allowed to play anywhere else for the year at least, otherwise he will be signed elsewhere and it will turn into a redemption story.
I keep hearing that CHN's circumstances are different, but I am also hearing both girls were from the school? was CHN's just a random and not from the school?

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
I keep hearing that CHN's circumstances are different, but I am also hearing both girls were from the school? was CHN's just a random and not from the school?
I can't say I have any inside info on the matter mate, just what I've read. But doesn't sound like CHN connected with the girl via school and if she was in a club he would assume she was 18 years old. If he was aware she was at school or met her there I'd have a completely different opinion.