Game one review

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
There were things tonight that I was happy about but there are also areas where we need to change.

I'll start by saying that our defence has picked up right where it left off last season. Perhaps there's even been a touch of improvement. I don't recall Parra getting close to our line without a penalty or unless we made an error. Our fragile edges looked very safe tonight. I can't find fault in anyone's defence. What was a little disappointing was that late in the game we got caught out through a lack of supporting the kick defence after RFM dropped the bomb from Fingersin. When Lewis fumbled and tried to kick the ball dead the rest of the team had switched off. Sadly that resulted in us losing. We looked to have Parra nullified until it happened.

The good things about our attack were that the forwards had the upper hand slightly. Nobody really stood out in my view but they worked harder than Parra and it showed. The big issue I see with our attack is that the forwards actually drift too wide in the attacking 30 metre zone. It's not a new thing. It's a remnant of the Hasler days. Even if our outside backs were outstanding, they'll fail because our forwards barely leave them any room to move. By the time they get the ball they're compressed near the sidelines. It wouldn't be a huge issue if the backs are running from behind them at pace to support passes at the line and inside balls. But they're not. They're trying to remain on the outside of edge runners that are playing incredibly wide. I saw that as a bit of an issue where Lewis would have to turn and pass back inside because of the fact that the backs are well covered because the defence can just drift wide knowing that our attack is compressed. Our attack on the edges wound up looking like a moshpit of defenders. We largely went to the left all night too.

I think the structure restricted what both halves were able to do. I'm seeing a lot of people accusing Lewis of being a hog, but Wakeham didn't really demand the ball much and only really handled it when it was going through a few sets of hands. I think that towering bombs are going to result in less tries this year with the new rules surrounding tackling players in the air. Fingersin drew a couple of penalties by tucking his legs up when a defender was near and jumping into them as did Sivo. I counted at least two penalties conceded when Chrighton touched Sivo in the air and a couple on the other side. Unless our backs are able to time their leaps better, we'll be better served with grubbers out wide. I expect to see a lot of teams doing this to start a set with a penalty.

I find it hard to single out our best players. Jacko and DWZ both made a nice run each, but it was very much a team effort. Napa was aggressive but mostly disciplined, Britt almost gave us our best scoring chance with an offload (which was unfortunately thrown forward). Both halves got a repeat set early. Our previously fragile flanks were very solid. JMK played a simple game but his service was good.

It wasn't an exciting game to watch though. Neither team was creating much. For once I have few complaints about the refereeing. DWZ being called back for stepping off the mark was annoying when Parra were guilty of it too. But there were no huge blunders that I'm angry about.

It's not great to lose on the back of a couple of late errors, but I am happy with our defence. Our attack needs tweaking though.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Summed up nicely Alan, great write up mate :grinning:

Merimbula Man

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
There were things tonight that I was happy about but there are also areas where we need to change.

I'll start by saying that our defence has picked up right where it left off last season. Perhaps there's even been a touch of improvement. I don't recall Parra getting close to our line without a penalty or unless we made an error. Our fragile edges looked very safe tonight. I can't find fault in anyone's defence. What was a little disappointing was that late in the game we got caught out through a lack of supporting the kick defence after RFM dropped the bomb from Fingersin. When Lewis fumbled and tried to kick the ball dead the rest of the team had switched off. Sadly that resulted in us losing. We looked to have Parra nullified until it happened.

The good things about our attack were that the forwards had the upper hand slightly. Nobody really stood out in my view but they worked harder than Parra and it showed. The big issue I see with our attack is that the forwards actually drift too wide in the attacking 30 metre zone. It's not a new thing. It's a remnant of the Hasler days. Even if our outside backs were outstanding, they'll fail because our forwards barely leave them any room to move. By the time they get the ball they're compressed near the sidelines. It wouldn't be a huge issue if the backs are running from behind them at pace to support passes at the line and inside balls. But they're not. They're trying to remain on the outside of edge runners that are playing incredibly wide. I saw that as a bit of an issue where Lewis would have to turn and pass back inside because of the fact that the backs are well covered because the defence can just drift wide knowing that our attack is compressed. Our attack on the edges wound up looking like a moshpit of defenders. We largely went to the left all night too.

I think the structure restricted what both halves were able to do. I'm seeing a lot of people accusing Lewis of being a hog, but Wakeham didn't really demand the ball much and only really handled it when it was going through a few sets of hands. I think that towering bombs are going to result in less tries this year with the new rules surrounding tackling players in the air. Fingersin drew a couple of penalties by tucking his legs up when a defender was near and jumping into them as did Sivo. I counted at least two penalties conceded when Chrighton touched Sivo in the air and a couple on the other side. Unless our backs are able to time their leaps better, we'll be better served with grubbers out wide. I expect to see a lot of teams doing this to start a set with a penalty.

I find it hard to single out our best players. Jacko and DWZ both made a nice run each, but it was very much a team effort. Napa was aggressive but mostly disciplined, Britt almost gave us our best scoring chance with an offload (which was unfortunately thrown forward). Both halves got a repeat set early. Our previously fragile flanks were very solid. JMK played a simple game but his service was good.

It wasn't an exciting game to watch though. Neither team was creating much. For once I have few complaints about the refereeing. DWZ being called back for stepping off the mark was annoying when Parra were guilty of it too. But there were no huge blunders that I'm angry about.

It's not great to lose on the back of a couple of late errors, but I am happy with our defence. Our attack needs tweaking though.
Our attack doesn’t need tweaking, it needs a complete overhaul

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Summed up nicely Alan, great write up mate :grinning:
Thanks Scooby.

I really think the main issue is that our second row almost plays on the wing. If we have players capable of throwing deceptive inside balls, that wouldn't be as much of an issue. Our inside balls looked a bit telegraphed and gave the defence long enough to slow down and cover the directional change.

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Our players are all putting in 100% when it comes to defence.. theyre really busting a nut & giving it there all..

Our problem is clearly the attack and thats all on the 7 & 9 imo..

Lewis is up there as our worst ever halfback cant setup a root in a brothel..

while JMKs service is clean..he provides little attacking option from dummy half..He doesnt scoot out when the opppsitons going backwards, a little kicking game would be handy and the ball doesnt always go were it should from him..

7 & 9 are critical positions and these guys havent proven themselves yet as our longterm solutions..

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Our players are all putting in 100% when it comes to defence.. theyre really busting a nut & giving it there all..

while JMKs service is clean..he provides little attacking option from dummy half..He doesnt scoot out when the opppsitons going backwards, a little kicking game would be handy and the ball doesnt always go were it should from him..

7 & 9 are critical positions and these guys havent proven themselves yet as our longterm solutions..
I'm going to regard Mbye as our worst 7 for a while yet. Not only did he not organise anything, he pretty much didn't get involved beyond catching and passing with an occasional opportunistic run. Lewis has a way to go yet, but I really think that the team needs more organisation on the left. Yes, as halfback he needs to learn to organise them better. But labelling him as our worst 7 ever is unfair given that he's had very limited opportunity to grow into a high pressure role. It's on him to improve though. Cogger seems to have better ability to organise. But Wakeham was pretty quiet tonight and didn't take any pressure off. He started well but wasn't highly involved. He'd better become more vocal in demanding the ball or his position will be in danger.

piggy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can someone please tell me where our fukin points are going to come from.....at the moment all we have is Lewis's towering bombs on the fifth tackle....honestly nothing has changed in attack...we need some game breakers....we need some creativity....Lewis offers nothing except tackle tscjke tackle

bowleggedwog

wogdog
Reaction score
Great defence. Our go forward especially when Parramatta were rushing up and hitting was awesome. On the negative our attack was rubbish. Lewis is a stand and deliver 7 has no ability to ball play, no intention to take the line on. He really just gets us going side ways. Wakeham didn't do much, took a back seat.
Jmk isn't a 9, he is a utility. Doesn't get out and ingage makers, doesn't play around the ruck. Our pack play 1 out never pass to each other. Hopefully that builds. I will probably get hammered but my back line would have been
Hoppa, Smith, Harper, Holland, DWZ. Wakeham, Cogger as General. ( Lewis def was awesome)
Pack 13 Tolman JJ CHN Napa Katoa Ogden
Start the 1st 15 with a power game up the middle than bring on the guys with skills. Britt Rnouf FM JMK.
Sue uninjured would be a walk up start for Ogden.

altair

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I was sat in front of the left corner post where Ferguson was attacking and I have to say our defence read parras attack perfectly

In one instance parra shifted the ball quick to Ferguson and Meaney was caught out. Instead of trying to defend two men, Meaney gunned it for the centre whilst remis swung around and attacked Ferguson on the wing. Watching it live it was awesome to see the cohesion in defence.

Have to say though there were times where Wakeham was calling for the ball but they kept going to Lewis. That’s surely pays gameplan.

Also watched Mitchell Moses pregame peppering the right wing with bombs. We nullified them superbly. I never once felt like our defence was stretched. The boys were moving as one and I have to give huge props to RFM and RT, absolute beasts.

All we needed was some second phase play and offloads. That’s where we missed CHN.

Anywho I left the game quite happy and I honestly felt the game had a finals feel to it.

Hopefully we can build on it throughout this season

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score

JMK was dangerous at the end of last year. He seems to have lost a little confidence. same with Wakeham, if I’m honest, there were a couple of times when we made half breaks and Wakeham got into DH with a retreating line, the Wakeham I know would run’n’gun there, but he just passed.

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Can I say that I'm really enjoying this thread as I feel I'm actually learning something about the Dogs and the way we're playing. Unfortunately all other threads are full of people trying to score points on each other, or communicating their own grudge.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score

If the backs are well covered as the edge back rowers are playing to wide... It's on our hooker and leading playmaker to get the ball out their quick and force the defence to make the call, rather than playing into their hand by settling for one and runs and unders lines. For example. You see Cook and Cody Walker do it all the time whenever they are in the opp half, quick service to the left scrum line 2 passes wide of the ruck and force the C / D defender to decide wether to jam up together or hold. That's what we should have done on multiple occasions last night, the option to hit Stimson short or play out the back is always on If the service is quick clean for the spine players. We can't keep neglecting our edges with the same shit spine and hoping that buying backs like Cotric and Addo-Carr will make us better because we just cant count numbers or build for a set play for the backs

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

Fair review. I am pissed off that fingersin didnt get ulled up for his trip though!!
After an entire off season working with Joey the immortal, Parramatta's halves were very much nullified by our defense. That was pleasing to watch.

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Look. From the outside as I clearly wasn't at the game and have only seen snippets of hightlights. But I'll give it my views ...

Personally I'm extremely proud of what the lads did. To come into that game already seen an extreme underdogs but to really give it to Parra from the outset was terrific. Their try was lucky as fuck, and from what I've seen and heard they didn't really trouble us that much for the remainder of the game. The boys' attitude was extroadinary, and a massive positive to build from.

Now, on paper it was a really good performance but when you add the fact all the shit that went down in the week leading up to the game it really impresses me a lot more. To lose two key players under those circumstances but to still show up with that team unity and willingness to fight for each other was brilliant to see/hear about. I'm really proud of the team.

A lot of talk, and rightly so, about our attack. Very hard for me to comment on as I haven't seen the full game but it does seem Lewis was taking too much on himself. Think his comments before the game about Wakeham perhaps mirrored his attitude during the game. Clearly he doesn't trust Wakeham which is absolutely something you DON'T want to have between a half combination. A lack of trust. To me that's alarming. Worrying. But I guess normal when they're untested and inexperienced.

Time will only improve us ... as long as we keep the same attitude, togetherness, and fight. We keep that and I think we'll have a decent year. The points will come.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm pissed Ferguson wasn't penalised for a trip tbh.
To the letter of the law it wasn’t a trip. As long as you have something else touching a player you can use your foot to take a player down. Alfie Langer used to tackle like that every game. Ferguson had his hand on DWZ’s shoulder. We got a penalty on the next tackle anyway so even if you thought it was a penalty it didn’t really effect the game.

Last edited:

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
There's no point having great defence if you can't score tries when you dominate time in the opposition 20 most of the game.

What did we practise all off season in attack? The disjointed nature of our attack looked like none of them had met each other before.

Everything was so robotic, slow and predictable that we never came close to threatening their line. It's just a repeat of the last two seasons under Pay and the last several seasons under Hasler before that. It's infuriating and laughable our attack still looks so amateurish after a full offseason.

This conservative, negative gameplan had us score 14ppg last year which was 2nd last and this year we'll be lucky to average half that tally if major adjustments aren't soon made in personnel and mentality/tactics.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Great write up @Alan79. Fair on both sides with positives and negatives and doesn’t resort to utter nonsense of calling for sackings and significant team shuffling after Round 1. Any team changes will likely be forced: Crichton might get a week for his punch.

Obviously a shame to lose off a relatively soft try late in the game - apart from that we were in it the whole way and those who predicted a flogging at the hands of the slimy Eels - well...

Yes our attack needs work - but those putting all that on Lewis is just wrong. Wakeham was no panacea nor could he be expected to be in his 4th NRL game.

On top of that with the week the club has had I thought it was a gutsy performance - one which we should roll with some momentum into the Cowboys next week.

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
There's no point having great defence if you can't score tries when you dominate time in the opposition 20 most of the game.

What did we practise all off season in attack? The disjointed nature of our attack looked like none of them had met each other before.

Everything was so robotic, slow and predictable that we never came close to threatening their line. It's just a repeat of the last two seasons under Pay and the last several seasons under Hasler before that. It's infuriating and laughable our attack still looks so amateurish after a full offseason.

This conservative, negative gameplan had us score 14ppg last year which was 2nd last and this year we'll be lucky to average half that tally if major adjustments aren't soon made in personnel and mentality/tactics.
Completely agree, and do wonder what we did in the preseason. But then again, you could say the same about Parra because clearly they weren't much better than us and the only try they got was pure luck.

Thhink we need a few more games of them playing together to see where we're at. Especially when taking into account we lost a few players to shitty circumstances for this opening game. Do worry, just like you, about our attack. Am realistic that it's not going to be potent or possibly even dangerous until Foran gets back so all we can do is wait and see i guess.

Dogs Of War

On the Warpath
Reaction score
Well with how things are going with the coronavirus. THis might have just been an extra trial game. Cause if they suspend the season for the time being which I think will happen by saturday at the worst. I suspect we aren't going to make up the games. And this one will be called a nonevent. So hopefully a blessing in disguise.