News NRL gender adviser’s take on scandal, Paul Crawley, The Daily Telegraph

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
BULLDOGS
Bulldogs sex scandal: NRL gender adviser’s shock take on scandal

As fresh images surface involving Bulldogs star Jayden Okunbor, the NRL’s leading gender adviser Dr Catharine Lumby says the players “have done nothing criminal”. SEE THE SCREEN GRABS

Paul Crawley, The Daily Telegraph

The NRL’s leading gender adviser has delivered a shock opinion on the Canterbury Bulldogs’ alleged schoolgirl sex controversy, declaring: “This is not a sex scandal, this is a workplace conduct issue”.

And Dr Catharine Lumby is at odds with the many calling for the Bulldogs players to be sacked, saying “they have done nothing criminal as far as we know”.

“Women over the age of consent are allowed to have sex, and plenty of them do,” Dr Lumby told The Daily Telegraph.

The comments come amid new allegations that Bulldogs star Jayden Okunbor asked a 16-year-old girl to send him nude images via Snapchat following a high school visit in Port Macquarie last month.

In one screenshot image it’s claimed Okunbor, 23, asks the girl to “show tits”.

Both Okunbor and Corey Harawira-Naera, 24, were stood down from last night’s opening round clash against Parramatta for allegedly breaching Canterbury’s player conduct code by taking girls back to their team hotel rooms.

The screenshots also show Okunbor allegedly asking the girl what she was doing that night, while one girl reportedly bragged about going to the team hotel on Instagram, with more images emerging on TikTok.

While Okunbor’s social media connection is claimed to have followed a school visit, Harawira-Naera allegedly met a girl at her after-school job and later on social media.

Dr Lumby said her main concern was how this was affecting the girls and their families.

“What we need to focus on is whether sex is consensual, safe and ethical,” Dr Lumby said.

“That is the whole focus of the education I have worked on with the NRL.

“I have huge concerns for these young women.

“They can make their own decisions and they have a future and let’s leave them out of this.

“This is not a sex scandal, this is a workplace conduct issue.

“And I don’t like the word sex scandal because it implies that these young women, like, it was all inappropriate.

“Women over the age of consent are allowed to have sex, and plenty of them do.”

The Canterbury board is expected to meet with chief executive Andrew Hill and coach Dean Pay in the next 24 as the club works with the NRL’s integrity unit to come up with an appropriate punishment.

It is understood Hill and Pay were ropeable that the players broke club policy but also see this as a moral issue.

The players have until Tuesday to respond to a breach notice.

The Bulldogs have already lost a $2 million sponsorship deal as a result of the controversy.

Dr Lumby refused to be drawn on what she would deem appropriate punishment but was adamant she had complete faith in the NRL integrity unit.

“I do believe it deserves a penalty because it has broken a workplace code of conduct,” she said.

“They have done nothing criminal as far as we know.

“Let’s be very, very clear that consensual sex is fine.

“When it comes to NRL players they are not allowed to have consensual sex in the context of bringing someone to their hotel room.

“That is very clear. (The allegations) have breached that code of conduct.

“But let us also be very careful of turning this into a so-called sex scandal.

“I don’t know what that means in this context.

“If these young women consented that is fine.

“The women have done nothing wrong.

“But let’s not blow this out of proportion and let’s certainly not drag the girls and their families into this.

“I think in this case the appropriate penalty will be decided by the NRL working with the integrity unit and with advice from the club.

“There has already been a serious penalty. These players have been stood aside and the Bulldogs have lost a major sponsor.”

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...l/news-story/fe4fdf2d5b8ccebc2b22b031176cad4c

Last edited:

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
The NRL’s leading gender adviser has delivered a shock opinion on the Canterbury Bulldogs’ alleged schoolgirl sex controversy, declaring: “This is not a sex scandal, this is a workplace conduct issue”.

And Dr Catharine Lumby is at odds with the many calling for the Bulldogs players to be sacked, saying “they have done nothing criminal as far as we know”.

“Women over the age of consent are allowed to have sex, and plenty of them do,” Dr Lumby
told The Daily Telegraph.

A new twist in the saga ...

Roll the Bones

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
“And I don’t like the word sex scandal because it implies that these young women, like, it was all inappropriate.
Technically speaking, 'sex scandal' is two words.

“Women over the age of consent are allowed to have sex, and plenty of them do.”
Well that's quite some investigative journalism.

“I don’t know what that means in this context.
Standard Daily Telegraph and/or NRL position on basically any topic or story.

MatstaDogg

The Bearded Baker
Premium Member
Reaction score
that's how they operate, they create the problem and play both sides
Yep fuck the DT, hypocritical *****. Start fires then act all innocent by playing the opposite role after their damage has been done.

Dogtime

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
"When it comes to NRL players, they are not allowed to have consensual sex in the context of bringing someone to their hotel room". So if a player travelled to Port Macq with his gf or wife they cant be together in the hotel room? Who the hell writes this Code of Conduct bullshit?
I see this as a massive intrusion into the civil rights of individuals. Its a bullshit pc protocol. Should a players $450kpa livelihood be taken away from them because some bulLshit pc protocol is broken?

Other players are charged with high range DUI and are let off with a fine. Ask the family at Oatlands whether having consensual sex is as bad as turning a blind eye to a high range DUI. What about beating your wife and being charged by the police? That's OK also?

I bet my house many players take girls back to their rooms when staying away for the weekend when touring. Ask Matty Johns.

Jesus Christ I cant stand this pc bullshit, much less the power without any reference to fairness or societal acceptance and norms that lays in the hands of 1 man Todd Greenberg. What does the NRL really expect? Is the agenda to turn the competition into an Amish revival?

This is an over the top intrusion into the private lives of individuals if these players are sacked. What gives Greenberg the right to say they are sacked from the Dogs this year...but can be picked up by any other club next year? This on the back of the pathetic compensation we got for Forans injury. This will do me. IM OUT!!!

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
How were the messages leaked?

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
How were the messages leaked?
Apparently the girl was in a group chat boasting and sending her "friends" screenshots of the messages between her and Okenbur. The friends or someone from within that group chat then started sharing it with others and clearly someone has brought it to the clubs attention after that.

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
So both parties are morons.
Without a doubt, BUT the girl was a 17-year-old doing what 17-year-olds do when they get any kind of attention from someone famous.
They run around and tell anyone that wants to listen so she can't be blamed. If anything shes lapping up the attention. The idiot is the footballer who even after so much education from within the club and lessons from previous indiscretions ie; "MAD MONDAY" "COFFS HARBOUR" hasn't learnt a thing.

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Without a doubt, BUT the girl was a 17-year-old doing what 17-year-olds do when they get any kind of attention from someone famous.
They run around and tell anyone that wants to listen so she can't be blamed. If anything shes lapping up the attention. The idiot is the footballer who even after so much education from within the club and lessons from previous indiscretions ie; "MAD MONDAY" "COFFS HARBOUR" hasn't learnt a thing.
No, she's a moron also. A smart 17 year old wouldn't be doing what she was doing and then sending the pics to others.

He was a bigger moron but they are both morons.

Daustin

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
wow am i actually seeing some common sense from someone that works for the nrl?

Daustin

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
even so watch greenberg come out and give them a penalty that is way over the top

Mitch Connor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
What the fuck is a gender advisor

SweetFA

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

“Women over the age of consent are allowed to have sex, and plenty of them do,” Dr Lumby
told The Daily Telegraph.

A new twist in the saga ...
That’s because both players have engaged legal representation; given how the media & The NRL have addressed the situation to date, reported as a sex scandal initially now the NRL backtrack “it’s not sex scandal???”is destined to become a Mexican standoff.
Strap yourselves in....this may get interesting....

Smirrors

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
The NRL has to legally make this distinction otherwise the players can sue. The NRL has a duty of care to its players and protect their reputation from a legal standpoint.

And guys, new papers living off selling headlines, dont act so surprised when you give them a bone.