Official Round 1 - Bulldogs vs Eels - Discussion Thread

BulldogsNRL

Kennel Established
Reaction score
The defence was good at least we didn’t let the team put 40 on us first up we jsut need to fix up the attack and keep the defence and we’re good I would swap chrichton and put smith back there and bring Harper or avarillo in and CHN needs to hurry up and sort the shit out so he can get back in but yea it’s better then round 1 last year

Heckler

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
I thought Britty played really well.
I love these threads where the experts who have never played the game come out from sitting on the lounge in their garage hahahaha

We didn’t make the most of our chances and made some dumb errors, particularly the timing of our tackles on ball receivers. It was round 1

Sack Pay
Lewis can’t kick
Stimson is unfit
Britt only plays cause of his dad
Etc etc etc Hahahaha

FZ1-S

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Lewis is rubbish as half, but the biggest problem is the coach. Our game plan is so forward dominated I don't know why he even selects backs in the team, may as well just fill all back-line positions with back-rowers, we have enough of them in the squad!

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Bottom line is we were long odds, a lot of people were expecting us to get beaten easily. Then two days ago the JO and CHN news hit. In the broader context it is still a remarkable result.

The decisive play of the game was a lucky try that could have happened at the other end for us in the right conditions.

There is a lot of positives to come out of this. Unfortunately the major negative of no attack is going to get a lot of talk, but fair dinkum we were the only team that made a clean break, we don't have much in the way of notable strike players compared with Parramatta and they didn't look like scoring all game.

Hopefully the players aren't too discouraged, if they keep turning up like this all week, and start really knuckling down on their attacking options, they can get some decent wins this season.

Doggiezbrah

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
Good platform to build off tonight. Defensively we were great, I felt our forward pack played well. We just don’t have any strike power in our backline and Lewis doesn’t create enough. RFM and Toomaga provided good impact off the bench.

Stimson, Meaney, JMK lack match fitness. We need to persist with Wakeham despite Lewis not letting him do anything. We need to move Smith back to wing and bring in a centre. Overall, we rattled the eels and were in game.

Brendan7

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
How? Half his kicks were from our end not much he could do there. Bombs perfect up other end just no one chases and/or can jump and catch it
Bomb, bomb, bomb...

How about an ounce of variety? Did we see a chip kick...

Oh yep how about the kick on the 3rd tackle straight to Ferguson with a minute left...

If he is halfback we won’t win a game!

Straight18

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Game was reffed way too slow. No side will score tries if the game keeps reseting, and having all these stoppages.

And ill preach it again, hoppa has to move to fullback off attacking set starts up there end.
Harper to right centre, hoppa to left, halves i dont know anymore we needed foran out there tonight,
Reamis back to wing. Put averillo on the bench or to halfback.

Thats the only way i see a few points in this team is the side like that, and if the bloody hooker would run.
I got smashed for this same post a week ago, but to me its the best move, fuck there pride we need a couple of tries.

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Your mate didn’t allow it.
The best players win games when the games on the line
You are a peanut.. DWZ was ordinary in attack, Wakeham had plenty of ball but created nothing, Smith is not a centre, JMK was a yard slow and made no ground himself out of dummy half, Stimson is not fit and has butter fingers and poor hands, and Lewis is not a halfback he is a 6. Our defence was great the boys are playing for each other, Nappa, Elliot and Jacko where great and Meaney looks better and better.

It's a team sport but some of you wallys are fixated with blaming everything on one bloke.

Oh, plus we lost a major sponsor and one of our best offensive weapons in CHN everyone else was death riding us and we still only lost by 6...

That and I have fat fingers so I "accidently" smashed the fuck out of the X button tonight...

QLDdogsfan

Kennel Established
Reaction score
All in all for a round 1 hit out it was ok, rusty but ok.
Defence was great Eels only try came off a mistake from us.
DWZ had a poor game under the high ball but he had no trial games so ill let him off tonight.
Our attack is what it is we lack strike players but hopefully we can create some second phase and play off some offloads as the season goes on. If anything our defence keeps us in it.

Brendan7

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dare I say it but Cogger back next week at least on the bench

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Baz do you think Pay had the gameplan set up for Wakeham to step up if the opportunity arose? It didn't look like Wakeham was part of the gameplan so he hung back. Lewis dominated.
The best players want the ball in the hands when the games on the line. Where was the 6?

jpneves

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I guess that answers the questions pre-game. He was there as cover for our backline in case of injury with DWZ and Meaney coming off injury. Also if JMK got injured. As injury cover he has more range than Katoa.
I think with what happened this week we could have put Remis back on the wing and Holland to centre and maybe have Cogger on the bench? I also thought Meaney was probably in front of Wakeham in goal kicking. I think he would of nailed that second one that Wakeham missed?

NallaC

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Lewis defence is awesome. However he is playing hb , the most crucial attacking position to control the game. He just doesn't have the knowledge or skill to play that position.

The game on the the line
Hahahahaha
Mate u are kidding yourself if you think Lewis is a half. The kid can play but he aint a hb. Has no game management. Has no passing game. Has a poor long kicking game.

I like the kid and would love to see him off the bench / lock or cc.

His defence is awesome, however we need a hb who can control the game. Create room for the outside players and provide an attacking platform .

silva

Utility
Reaction score
People forgetting parra got a lucky try. Their attack was shit too.

silva

Utility
Reaction score
People forgetting parra got a lucky try. Their attack was shit too.

Novocastrian

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
As long as holland is not there next week. Waste of a spot. Either put another forward on the bench or katoa/Averillo