Status
Not open for further replies.

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Ain’t a fan of Trump.. But truly what more could he do? Might’ve been a bit slow..well he was to recognise its threat..but time to be bipartisan and work together to nullify this threat..it’s the only thing to fix it!
That’s right. He was criticised when he banned flights from China

The DoggFather

OG DF
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
I heard something interesting this morning,
2009 swine flu was also declared a pandemic, Australia had 30000 cases and 200 died. Corona virus has about 100 cases and 3 dead.
does anybody remember everyone losing their minds in ‘09?
Me neither.
Why?
Media learned to push harder, quicker to scare the useless eaters?

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
2009 swine flu was also declared a pandemic, Australia had 30000 cases and 200 died. Corona virus has about 100 cases and 3 dead.
Me neither.
Why?

Media weren't in crisis mode when floods came and ruined their "futures are on fire" narrative

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Me neither.
Why?
I remember the Asians freaking out but that's about it

That said, swine flu went for over a year. This one is in the very early stages. Swine flu also had a kill rate of 0.01% - 0.08% while the current Coronavirus has a kill rate of 3.4%, but I think that number will drop.

All that said, I'm pretty sure the panic is mainly driven by social media. That and at the time of the Swine flu outbreak it was predicted to be less than 10,000 deaths globally. So the flu was downplayed. It ended up killing over 200,000. I think the WHO doesn't want to make the same mistake twice.

bricktamland

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Working on a doctors house right now .. said it’s blown out of proportion. The flu is worse and kills 100,000 people annually Minimum.. tnis has a 2% fatality rate but it’s spreads quicker .. fear mongering but people over age of 60 are more at risk of dying

bricktamland

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Me neither.
Why?
Everyone uses internet . Media beat it up

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Have to admit that the title of this thread sets up for a modern day "Who's on First" sketch
Haha I was going there before I read your comment

Blue_boost

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I grabbed another 24 rolls today and 2 hand sanitizers ... Run at me bro

Mr Beast

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Me neither.
Why?
i think social media has a huge role, 2009 we didn't have much a of a social platform to spread news like how we do today

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Everyone uses internet . Media beat it up
i think social media has a huge role, 2009 we didn't have much a of a social platform to spread news like how we do today
This is what I think too.
Too many “experts” with a platform. That has a knockon effect in the MSM too, where they need an extreme angle to get eyeballs on their product.

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Working on a doctors house right now .. said it’s blown out of proportion. The flu is worse and kills 100,000 people annually Minimum.. tnis has a 2% fatality rate but it’s spreads quicker .. fear mongering but people over age of 60 are more at risk of dying
There's definitely some fear mongering going around. But the flu has a 0.1% kill rate. This has a 3.4% kill rate.

Lov_Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi all,
I’m interested in your thoughts, especially people like you @Hacky McAxe @DinkumDog and I know you’re meant to travel soon @south of heaven

I am meant to travel to the US in 3 weeks. I personally don’t care about getting the virus as long as it doesn’t prevent me traveling. I just don’t want to waste my time on a trip when things are cancelled or closed down.

I did have Coachella tickets but it’s been postponed until October.
The festival have offered to transfer the tickets to the new date.

I may lose a couple of grand if I can’t get a refund on the local accommodation there. I should be able to get flights & most other things refunded. Maybe not a couple of shows in Vegas.

My main concern is that sports have already started planning games without fans (ie Golden State Warriors today), even the bloody Vegas buffets are closing down. I have tickets to a massive beer festival and David Guetta pool party which I was really looking forward to.

I will 100% go to Coachella in October. Would you risk going next month too or do you think with all of this media hysteria I’m better off just seeking refunds and re-doing it all in October?
I just don’t want a shitty trip and our dollar is very low too.
Thanks for your thoughts!
@Natboy II .. try contacting the accommodations and events you have booked and ask for a refund straight up. Say you are cancelling your trip.
If they do not offer a refund, they may offer an option to change dates FOC. Of course if you can cancel everything and refund, that would be best as it gives flexibility to re-book when the situation settles down.
Goodluck

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
There's definitely some fear mongering going around. But the flu has a 0.1% kill rate. This has a 3.4% kill rate.
It’s early days tho.
Historically the initial mortality is about 10X the final. So it’s probably about 0.3% or 3X worse than the seasonal flu.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
It’s early days tho.
Historically the initial mortality is about 10X the final. So it’s probably about 0.3% or 3X worse than the seasonal flu.
Probably. Considering that they think they're missing about 80% of the cases 'cause they're either low or asymptomatic, then it's probably going to be a pretty low rate.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Several state governments in the US have banned mass gatherings. The Australian government is considering banning mass gatherings over 1,000 people in the near future if it gets worse. The AFL is preparing to play games without fans there. NRL could follow.

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
@Natboy II .. try contacting the accommodations and events you have booked and ask for a refund straight up. Say you are cancelling your trip.
If they do not offer a refund, they may offer an option to change dates FOC. Of course if you can cancel everything and refund, that would be best as it gives flexibility to re-book when the situation settles down.
Goodluck
Thanks Lov dog. I’ve asked for refunds and/or asking if they’ll be cancelling events. They’ll have to make a call very soon, particularly with a pandemic & flight bans

Mr 95%

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Holy shit I just thought..what if quadriplegics are the only people who survive the coronavirus..as we don’t touch surfaces or our face.. Who is gunna look after us??

Status
Not open for further replies.