News Schoolgirl sex scandal costs Bulldogs new $2 million sponsorship

JackDog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
'Disgusting, repulsive': Why Rashays walked from $2 million Bulldogs deal
March 11, 2020 — 5.46pm
The owner of the company that pulled the pin on a $2 million sponsorship with the Bulldogs has opened up on the reasons behind the 11th-hour backflip, describing the actions of the two players as "repulsive".

As revealed by The Sydney Morning Herald on Wednesday, the Bulldogs were on the verge of signing a lucrative two-year major sponsorship deal with family restaurant chain Rashays but it fell over when the club informed the company about the Port Macquarie schoolgirl sex scandal.

Canterbury stars Jayden Okunbor and Corey Harawira-Naera have been suspended indefinitely after taking two high school girls back to their hotel.

Photo: NRL Photos, AAP
Rashays owner Rami Ykmour said he would back the NRL and Bulldogs if they decided to rip up the contracts of Corey Harawira-Naera and Jayden Okunbor, expressing disappointment with having to pull out of the deal with the Bulldogs after weeks of negotiation.

"It’s a shame two players could wreck it for everyone," Ykmour told the Herald.

"It’s disgusting. It's repulsive, to be honest. That’s something else. If they sack them, I would stand by the club and the NRL’s decision."

Ykmour, who received a phone call from NRL chief executive Todd Greenberg after reading the Herald story about Rashays' withdrawal, insists the decision to opt out of the Bulldogs' major sponsorship was because of his own family and how it made them feel.

"That's where a lot of this comes from," he said.

"When you have your own kids you see things differently. I have children myself that go to school, so when you hear stories like this you have no choice but to walk away. We're a family restaurant and when I told my wife about what was about to come out in the media, she said we had to get out of it.

"She said 'we can't do it because it doesn't align with our brand'. I didn't have a choice. We don't stand for that, and it's great to see the Bulldogs don't stand for it either."

Ykmour, who has 30 restaurants along the eastern seaboard of Australia, first learnt about the Port Macquarie scandal on Monday night, 24 hours before it hit the media.

He couldn't speak more highly of the Bulldogs, in particularly chief executive Andrew Hill, who he said was understanding of the decision to withdraw from the agreement.

"The club was fantastic. Andrew Hill was fantastic right through the journey, from start to finish," Ykmour said.

"He was very open from day one. He kept us informed all the time. I think they've handled it the best they possibly can. It's a shame because we were so excited about it. To be honest, the support we've had has been overwhelming since people found out.

"We know we've made the right decision. I still definitely want to be part of the NRL in the future and maybe even with the Bulldogs when things are a lot better."

https://amp.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/di...0200311-p5495l.html?__twitter_impression=true
Honestly, the Rashays owner has been more than fair, I reckon next year might be a goer. There’s none near me so I won’t be going there.

Hill needs to sack them both and get agreement from RednGreenturd to not register a new NRL contract for the rest of their existing contract length.

Let them go labouring for a couple of years, find out just how privileged they are.

LordSidious66

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Packer didn’t do it while he was at the Tigers. There’s no way you can blame them for walking away when this happens while the ink isn’t dry on the contract.
Not the point mate, they signed someone with a CRIMINAL record. I don't remember him being so pissed about his franchise sponsoring a team with a convicted criminal on board.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Not the point mate, they signed someone with a CRIMINAL record. I don't remember him being so pissed about his franchise sponsoring a team with a convicted criminal on board.
It’s completely different the Packer stuff didn’t happen a few days after signing a major deal. It would be business suicide for them to get their name front and centre on a jersey literally days after the incident has been the major headline on every radio, tv news and newspaper in Sydney.

ash160

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It’s so hard to get decent sponsorship is this current market. All this shit needs to stop..our club is teetering on the edge of the abyss.

The media have destroyed our brand with years of negative press and some the players over the years have done silly things and given them plenty to write about, this is up there at the top in terms of stupidity but fuck we can’t take any more of this shit, we need the players to think about club first, think about the decisions they make and the consequences.

2 million million dollar sponsorship gonsky!

LordSidious66

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
It’s completely different the Packer stuff didn’t happen a few days after signing a major deal. It would be business suicide for them to get their name front and centre on a jersey literally days after the incident has been the major headline on every radio, tv news and newspaper in Sydney.
Different? He commited a freaking crime. These guys didn't. Yes what they did was dumb and should face the appropriate punishments but there are players who did far worse and are getting F/A punishment. Where is the media blow and sponsorship walk out for the others?

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Different? He commited a freaking crime. These guys didn't. Yes what they did was dumb and should face the appropriate punishments but there are players who did far worse and are getting F/A punishment. Where is the media blow and sponsorship walk out for the others?
What other players have done doesn’t matter when you’re talking about this specific case. If you were in Rashays shoes would you want to go ahead with the deal if this happened?

LordSidious66

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
What other players have done doesn’t matter when you’re talking about this specific case. If you were in Rashays shoes would you want to go ahead with the deal if this happened?
Mate it does. It just shows how inconsistent the NRL are towards how they hand punishments towards certain teams. To answer your question. I wouldn't want the deal to go ahead if a couple players did what CHN and Okunbur did. But I also wouldn't want to be associated with a team who signs a guy that nearly killed someone by stomping on there head. Now let me ask you a question: Would you associate yourself with a team that signed a player who nearly KILLED someone?

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Mate it does. It just shows how inconsistent the NRL are towards how they hand punishments towards certain teams. To answer your question. I wouldn't want the deal to go ahead if a couple players did what CHN and Okunbur did. But I also wouldn't want to be associated with a team who signs a guy that nearly killed someone by stomping on there head.
We are talking about Rashays decision terminate the deal the inconsistency of the NRL has nothing to do with that. At the end of the day it’s his money and decision and I would have done the same as him.

coach

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
It does matter because it shows the inconsistency in punishments for much more severer cases that have been illegal and broken the laws
Ya can’t slap some9ne on the wrist for illegal matters then lock up someone and throw away the key for a matter that is simply distasteful .....

As far as the sponsor goes that’s up to them and I have no problems them pulling out as it’s not a good look on there brand or ours

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
It does matter because it shows the inconsistency in punishments for much more severer cases that have been illegal and broken the laws
Ya can’t slap some9ne on the wrist for illegal matters then lock up someone and throw away the key for a matter that is simply distasteful .....
I’m talking purely from Rashays point of view on the sponsorship nothing else.

LordSidious66

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
We are talking about Rashays decision terminate the deal the inconsistency of the NRL has nothing to do with that. At the end of the day it’s his money and decision and I would have done the same as him.
Well the message he is basically sending out to us is that its not ok to do what CHN and Okunbur did (which is true), but its ok to stomp on a guys head (which it is not).

LordSidious66

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

As far as the sponsor goes that’s up to them and I have no problems them pulling out as it’s not a good look on there brand or ours
Thats what I have been trying to say this whole time dude.

coach

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Well the message he is basically sending out to us is that its not ok to do what CHN and Okunbur did (which is true), but its ok to stomp on a guys head (which it is not).
Yup and the rest, bash police officers, bash women, take illegal drugs
Etc etc etc
Nrl a disgrace

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
No he isn’t. If Packer stomped on someone’s head two days after signing up with the Tigers he would have dumped them too.

LordSidious66

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
No he isn’t. If Packer stomped on someone’s head two days after signing up with the Tigers he would have dumped them too.
Rubbish. He chose to stay on with them despite the fact the team his franchise sponsor have signed a thug and a convicted criminal. You cannot pick and chose which crimes are harsher. At the end of the day, a crime is a crime. Where was his outrage when the tigers signed Packer?

Heckler

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
To be honest, I'm sick of these pc brigade companies who think they can buy the rights to tell a club what the he'll they can do. It shouldn't buy you the right to tell the club what they can and can't do. The amount of publicity you make via sponsorship far outweigh the amount they spend. NRMA for eg with the Broncos after lodge scandal. Stuck solid. They can gi and get fucked.
March 11, 2020 — 5.46pm
The owner of the company that pulled the pin on a $2 million sponsorship with the Bulldogs has opened up on the reasons behind the 11th-hour backflip, describing the actions of the two players as "repulsive".

As revealed by The Sydney Morning Herald on Wednesday, the Bulldogs were on the verge of signing a lucrative two-year major sponsorship deal with family restaurant chain Rashays but it fell over when the club informed the company about the Port Macquarie schoolgirl sex scandal.

Canterbury stars Jayden Okunbor and Corey Harawira-Naera have been suspended indefinitely after taking two high school girls back to their hotel.

Rashays owner Rami Ykmour said he would back the NRL and Bulldogs if they decided to rip up the contracts of Corey Harawira-Naera and Jayden Okunbor, expressing disappointment with having to pull out of the deal with the Bulldogs after weeks of negotiation.

"It’s disgusting. It's repulsive, to be honest. That’s something else. If they sack them, I would stand by the club and the NRL’s decision."

Ykmour, who received a phone call from NRL chief executive Todd Greenberg after reading the Herald story about Rashays' withdrawal, insists the decision to opt out of the Bulldogs' major sponsorship was because of his own family and how it made them feel.

"When you have your own kids you see things differently. I have children myself that go to school, so when you hear stories like this you have no choice but to walk away. We're a family restaurant and when I told my wife about what was about to come out in the media, she said we had to get out of it.

"She said 'we can't do it because it doesn't align with our brand'. I didn't have a choice. We don't stand for that, and it's great to see the Bulldogs don't stand for it either."

Ykmour, who has 30 restaurants along the eastern seaboard of Australia, first learnt about the Port Macquarie scandal on Monday night, 24 hours before it hit the media.

He couldn't speak more highly of the Bulldogs, in particularly chief executive Andrew Hill, who he said was understanding of the decision to withdraw from the agreement.

"The club was fantastic. Andrew Hill was fantastic right through the journey, from start to finish," Ykmour said.

"He was very open from day one. He kept us informed all the time. I think they've handled it the best they possibly can. It's a shame because we were so excited about it. To be honest, the support we've had has been overwhelming since people found out.

"We know we've made the right decision. I still definitely want to be part of the NRL in the future and maybe even with the Bulldogs when things are a lot better."

https://amp.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/di...0200311-p5495l.html?__twitter_impression=true

Heckler

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
The bloke just made 2 million dollars on advertising without spending a cent on our brand. Get fucked
March 11, 2020 — 5.46pm