News Schoolgirl sex scandal costs Bulldogs new $2 million sponsorship

A

Alexander the Great

He is a Ayr. He has always been very vocal when it comes to us fucking up. Friends with the DIB mob from what we could gather.
Who is this Matt Attard guy and does he have any form in having actual inside info or is he just another Twitter big mouth who parrots gossip?

KambahOne

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Or potentially just finding a better time to announce it, which obviously wouldn't work today.
One can only hope that all the hard work done by the club to secure the sponsorship isn't totally down the drain.
That's an even bigger possibility. Rashays would not have proposed sponsoring a Rugby League club without knowing the potential for bad publicity, especially given the last few off seasons. So if the deal was close to being finalized, which given what has been written about it seems plausible, than putting it on hold till this situation is dealt with and announcing it under better circumstances makes good business sense.

finchie

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
We will get pumped by 30 tomorrow night
That’s not being negative
That’s being real
All the excitement and buzz from round one has been pissed on and deflated both for the fans and the other players
Parra ambush on the cards similar to the west tigers and broncs shellacking

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
That’s being real
All the excitement and buzz from round one has been pissed on and deflated both for the fans and the other players
These things can go two ways it can galvanise the playing group and bring them together with a siege mentality or it can leave them flat and deflated. This doesn’t feel like one of those things that will galvanise the team I’m thinking they will cop a belting too.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Lets hope not but you could be right.

If the players feel as deflated as us when they may not have their thinking in the right place.

We were up against it regardless but a dignified loss may have to suffice if they have dropped their heads.
That’s being real

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
Does anyone want to have a go at photoshop and put this on our jersey?

upload_2020-3-11_13-4-26.jpeg

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
So we can't have a poll to gather everyone's thought's on current information about what action the club should take? As fan's long suffering for 20 odd years of this crap one after the other then I think plenty have an opinion now on what stance to take. Poll gives a quick guide to peoples thought's without having to read 80 pages in threads.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Going from Kia to Rashays is a pretty big step down.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
So we can't have a poll to gather everyone's thought's on current information about what action the club should take? As fan's long suffering for 20 odd years of this crap one after the other then I think plenty have an opinion now on what stance to take. Poll gives a quick guide to peoples thought's without having to read 80 pages in threads.
There’s plenty of threads where you can express your thoughts and see others opinions on this incident. There isn’t enough concrete evidence out there to have a say one way or another on the players future.

coach

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
The more I think about it the more pissed off I am

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
There’s plenty of threads where you can express your thoughts and see others opinions on this incident. There isn’t enough concrete evidence out there to have a say one way or another on the players future.
As I said, Poll allows a quick reflection of thought so you don't need to read millions of posts. Players don't care about the fans so why care about their futures?

LG

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
That’s being real
i feel the same way

i do remember us playing the very same team after coffs and we thrashed but that was a team of stars, we do not have that and you've just gotta think this could rattle us and as a fa, it just feels like the start of inevitable downward spiral (which is pretty hard to achieve given how low we've been the last few years)

i was really being a glass half full person before round 1, now running on empty. the actions by CHN and okunbur hurts, embarrassed and humiliated as a fan and very deflated heading into the season

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Going from Kia to Rashays is a pretty big step down.
Better than from KIA to nothing, especially in the current economic climate.
I'd bet some existing sponsors of other teams on big money deals expiring at the end of 2020/2021 will be re-evaluating as soon as they can.
Take Huawei/Raiders for example - not only the economic impact of the virus on China's economy but Huawei having been banned from participating in the build of Australia's 5G mobile networks.
They're paying $950k/year right now which I'd suggest isn't exactly delivering much bang for buck (for them - the Raiders would be loving it).
Timing is a big part of these deals too - not just prestigious brands or the level of sponsorship.

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
I would say that I'd prefer to holdout then to settle for Rashays, but unfortunately quality outfits aren't lining up to sponsor NRL clubs though

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I don't understand why Rashay's would pull out.

The Bulldogs are not sweeping this under the carpet, they reported it, they're not taking it lightly and will hand down sanctions.

The club seriously by trying to do the right thing are getting punished as a whole... Next time why bother, sweep it under the carpet.

Doesn't make sense...
Seriously? You must be having a laugh!!

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
The Bulldogs schoolgirl sex scandal has cost the club a $2 million major sponsorship deal with family restaurant chain Rashays.

The Bulldogs were on the verge of announcing a deal on Tuesday night, having agreed to terms with Rashays after long-time sponsor Kia left the club for the Brisbane Broncos this year.

Canterbury captain Josh Jackson, who is not involved in the scandal, appears without a sponsor on his jersey at the NRL season launch. Two other players have been suspended by the club.Credit:NRL.com

However after the Bulldogs contacted Rashays to inform them that two players, Corey Harawira-Naera and Jayden Okunbor, had been stood down for having consensual sex with high school girls they met in Port Macquarie, the restaurant chain pulled out of the deal. The girls were above the age of consent and there is no criminal investigation.

The Bulldogs allowed Rashays to withdraw from the deal to which they had agreed in the days prior given their status as a family restaurant chain.

The Herald has also obtained an image of the new jerseys with the Rashays brand on the front, which had been designed as a display model that would have been produced in time for Thursday night's season opener against the Parramatta Eels at Bankwest Stadium.

The Bulldogs had been on the verge of signing Rashay's as a main sponsor.

It is understood the jerseys were approved for manufacturing on Monday and were sent off to be printed, with some sent to Rashays.

The Herald contacted Rashays owner Rami Ykmour and the Canterbury Bulldogs on Wednesday morning, however both declined to comment.

Canterbury had spent the offseason searching for a major sponsor, with captain Josh Jackson appearing at last week's NRL launch as the only club representative wearing a jersey without a sponsor.

The incident involving Okunbor and Harawira-Naera occurred in Port Macquarie before the club's trial match against Canberra on February 29.

There had been no complaints made by the two 17-year-old girls who came back to the team hotel and engaged in consensual sex.

Bulldogs chief executive Andrew Hill said the club felt the players didn't live up to the values and morals of the "family club" when they brought the pair back to the team hotel.

While the players did not break the law, they did break the team's policy, which states that women aren't to be brought back to the hotel.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/sc...ew-2-million-sponsorship-20200311-p548vf.html
Fuck me....they could have eventually finished the V and our jersey would have looked clean.... Fucking idiots

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
If true then just sack them and put ~600k back into our salary cap.

Very selfish of CHN and Okunbor to the fans, club and other players in the team. We're without two starting 13 players (Okunbor probably shouldn't be there anyways - good way to blow your opportunity that you probably didn't deserve) going into round one.

I know a lot of fans love CHN (and I've heard some people in the media say he's our best forward) but I honestly don't rate him as highly and I agree with why Pay dropped him to reserve grade last year (and he still showed the same issues in the Raiders trial). I think we could live without him.

Money outside the salary cap probably isn't an issue for the club but we've missed out on a 2m sponsorship now too. We already have a lot going against us and this just adds to it...

I've also heard some people saying that one of the schoolgirl's was a minor (15) so hopefully that isn't true.