News Jayden Okunbor and Corey Harawira-Naera stood down

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
not saying I agree with the actions but I also don't see the big fuss in regards to consenting adults having sex which is not against any rules, or more importantly, laws.. it happens.
Again. Had both been through Tinder I wouldn't honestly be thinking too much about it, other than that they're stupid bringing them to the hotel. Still think it's ridiculous having sex with a 16 year old, but if that's the legal age then it's nothing illegal.

But Okunbur didn't do it through Tinder. He used the school visit to set it up. If you honestly can't see why there's a difference then so be it. Nothing more I can say to you.

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
If this is true wtf is Chn stood down for? Ffs if he’s fucked a 18 year old off tinder who
Gives a fjck? His misses sure. I get he’s broken policy bringing back to room. Fine him. Hard.

We suffer for him
Off the field ffs.

Okunbor has something to
Front if he’s ficked a 16 year old he picked up at school.

Again if she’s stalked him
On social media and gone from
There it’s not as bad but still fucking stupid and has something to front. Should know better.

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Dealing with it in house isn't covering it up. What has been done doesn't deserve the media scrutiny and the circus it has currently caused. Yes they deserve punishment but not trial by media..
I feel like a parrot but the information was already out there mate. It could not be buried. How do you think the club found out about it?
Do you think Hilly said to the players, “How was your night out in port?”
“Oh yeah great thanks boss I fucked a barely legal school girl we met on a school visit”
Hilly in Borat voice, “High five”.

The blame is being shifted too much from where it should

Haddaway

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
16?!?!?!?!?! What the fuck lol.

I don't give a shit if its "legal", 18 is ok but still creepy if picked up from school. 16? Is perve material.

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Your deflection of the players decision to involve themselves in this behaviour is still irrelevant to the fallout of their actions.

It's on them how this has affected the club. Not the girls. That's all the club are concerned with.

More talk on the girls will only encourage the gossip hounds to try interviewing the school, the girls, the parents, the local football coaches at the schools and clubs who are dealing with the local scandal.

Drop talk of the girls.
you are still missing the point as usual.

I anit deflecting anything... all I'm saying is play the ball not the game... to many people are getting caught up in things that aren't relevant to the case at hand. and have a proper look.. I have said many a time that the players need to be punished.. but all everyone wants to do at this stage is hang people on speculation..

djdeep4172

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
FE626BA7-F43D-4403-89E1-E4FEB5CBE3F8.jpeg Bulldogs coach Dean Pay and CEO Andrew Hill fronted a bizarre press conference on Wednesday morning to discuss the player sex scandal that has engulfed the club.

However, they barely answered any questions when pressed on the sanctions handed down to two of their players.

Kiwi Test forward Corey Harawira-Naera and Bulldogs winger Jayden Okunbor were both stood down and issued with show-cause notices by the NRL after Canterbury-Bankstown self-reported the incident to the game’s governing body.

The two players were alleged to have met two girls during a school visit on a pre-season trip to Port Macquarie earlier this month and taken then back to the team hotel for consensual sex.

Both players have been asked to “show cause” why the NRL should not cancel or suspend their registrations as players.

Neither player is subject to a criminal investigation.

“Further to my statement regarding the club standing down two players, and being provisionally suspended by the NRL, I can provide the following update,” Hill said.

“First, the matters that are the subject of the ongoing NRL disciplinary process occurred during the recent visit to Port Macquarie. Second, I can confirm that the breaches do relate to players bringing young females of a consensual age back to the team hotel.

“The club wishes to reiterate that while neither player is the subject of a current police investigation, these are very concerning matters that the club has treated very seriously.

“We’ve been very conscious in our review to do everything we could to protect the identity and the welfare of the girls involved.

“That’s why we’ve been very careful with the information that weve disclosed. The club will continue to do that.

“After the past few months, where our players have received some deserved recognition for their community and charity work this is a very disappointing situation.

“The conduct not only breaches the club’s code of conduct, it is not reflective of the standards and values we have tried to instill in our players.

“With all that said, there is an ongoing NRL disciplinary process regarding these matters. And out of respect for that process, and for all those involved in it, we can’t make further comment.”

Bulldogs coach Dean Pay bizarrely tried to keep a positive spin on the incident.

“It’s difficult, there’s challenges,” Pay said.

“The positives out of it, is that Joe Stimson gets his first game for the club, Dean Britt gets his first game. Christian Crichton gets an opportunity.

“Its got its challenges for sure. But look, there’s opportunities for the other boys. We’ll be prepared, we’ll be ready. We’ve just got on with what we need to get on with.”

Hill was pressed on the NRL rules that the two players had broken.

“The club have taken the decision to stand the players down, but they’ve also breached the NRL’s rules,” Hill said.

“I can’t [disclose] anything, there’s an investigation going on. There’s a number of sensitivity issues around this, but they clearly breached the game - and the club’s - code of conduct.

“It’s clear to suggest that the behaviours breached the club, and the game’s code of conduct.

The investigation is currently around those two players.

“I appreciate there’s a lot of interest in this matter. There’s a lot of sensitivities. The club has acted swiftly and taken a strong stance.

“As you can appreciate, now that the investigation is commenced the club’s not in a position to make further comment at this stage

“As the investigation has commenced, it’s inappropriate for me to make further comment.

“I can’t make further comment, there’s a clear code of conduct, and the players are aware of those obligations.

“There’s an investigation under process. I’m not in a position to make continual comment. “They’ve breached the code of conduct, the club has acted swiftly and we’ve taken strong action to stand down the two players.

“It is not the behaviours or values of this football club. It’s why we’ve taken a strong stance and an immediate action.

“It’s a matter for investigation [when players will return from training].

“I’m not in a position to continue to make further comment on the investigation. I appreciate that a number of you are interested in as much information as possible.

“There’s an ongoing investigation, we need to respect the process, the people involved in that process.”

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Your deflection of the players decision to involve themselves in this behaviour is still irrelevant to the fallout of their actions.

It's on them how this has affected the club. Not the girls. That's all the club are concerned with.

More talk on the girls will only encourage the gossip hounds to try interviewing the school, the girls, the parents, the local football coaches at the schools and clubs who are dealing with the local scandal.

Drop talk of the girls.
Again spot on. The girls' actions aren't important.

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Again. Had both been through Tinder I wouldn't honestly be thinking too much about it, other than that they're stupid bringing them to the hotel. Still think it's ridiculous having sex with a 16 year old, but if that's the legal age then it's nothing illegal.

But Okunbur didn't do it through Tinder. He used the school visit to set it up. If you honestly can't see why there's a difference then so be it. Nothing more I can say to you.

That's the unofficial story anyway, do we know 100% she is 16? do we know 100% that he KNEW she was 16?

like I said, not saying I agree with it, but let's not be naive and think that NRL players (not all) do not get up to these sorts of shenanigans

Gallo2014

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
The info was outed on Snapchat by the girls not the club. Once it’s out, the media reports it.

KambahOne

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Your club has handled this exceptionally well, even the media conference was on point, Hill maintained his composure and did not provide food for the gutter dwellers and Dean wanted to talk about the opportunities for those replacing the stood down players.

The main point of controversy are the circumstances where Okunbor meet the girl, at her school at an official function in partnership with the club. That's where this gets all creepy and that is what Okunbor should be punished for.

The club will get a discount from the NRL for self reporting the incident and they should use that to offset the punishment for CHN and get him back asap as I can't see how Okunbor survives this. He's gone imo. His actions cannot be condoned and if you want a major sponsor, cutting him loose will be a prerequisite to getting one on board as no one will want to have him wearing their brand name.

justdogs

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Fucking hell. How do people not get it?

If BOTH cases were simply like CHN and picking up a chick & bringing her to the team hotel then OK. I'd get that we should puncish them, but not make such a big deal out of it.

But in the case of Okunbur when he actively went after this 16 girl on a school visit in an area which we're trying to establish as a feeder club? He was working. Getting paid. Spreading the good word of the club. And while doing that he chats up a chick, arranges for her to meet either in town or back at his room. And that's "being hung out to dry"

Fuck off. Seriously. He's absolutely hung the club out to dry with that. Any person with half a braincell can understand that was a completely different situation that picking up a girl on Tinder and bringing her back to hotel room. He picked her up at school FFS. During a paid school visit!
I agree, sack the prick and move on

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
That's the unofficial story anyway, do we know 100% she is 16? do we know 100% that he KNEW she was 16?

like I said, not saying I agree with it, but let's not be naive and think that NRL players (not all) do not get up to these sorts of shenanigans
And because lots of NRL players do it we should turn the blind eye? Shit. Lots of NRL players beat their wives. Why do we make such big fuss about that? Lost of NRL players snort coke on a daily basis. Why do we make such a fuss about that? This whole argument that other clubs do this, other players do that is nullinvoid to me. Means nothing.

It's our club. We've got set principals that we're trying to grow. A family culture that we're trying to restart. If we simply sweep this under the carpet then we go against the very thing we've been trying to grow. Stop trying to make out that we should follow other clubs' leads. Fuck other clubs. I want us to write our own story and that's what we're doing. I applaud the club's stance.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
As usual you are being stubborn and trying to justify your original silly comment.

By throwing shade on the girls, you are deflecting responsibility of this craziness which should be squarely on the players.

That's all we care about.

We know what society is like today. How some girls model themselves on Kardashians and we know about their sex tapes.

Stop implecating the girls. It's the 2 players who have broken the club's rules; not the girls.

That's why its where its at now. Nothing to do with the girls silly decisions.

Stop throwing shade on the girls. Don't mention them again...or else go get a job at DT.
you are still missing the point as usual.

I anit deflecting anything... all I'm saying is play the ball not the game... to many people are getting caught up in things that aren't relevant to the case at hand. and have a proper look.. I have said many a time that the players need to be punished.. but all everyone wants to do at this stage is hang people on speculation..

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Your club has handled this exceptionally well, even the media conference was on point, Hill maintained his composure and did not provide food for the gutter dwellers and Dean wanted to talk about the opportunities for those replacing the stood down players.

The main point of controversy are the circumstances where Okunbor meet the girl, at her school at an official function in partnership with the club. That's where this gets all creepy and that is what Okunbor should be punished for.

The club will get a discount from the NRL for self reporting the incident and they should use that to offset the punishment for CHN and get him back asap as I can't see how Okunbor survives this. He's gone imo. His actions cannot be condoned and if you want a major sponsor, cutting him loose will be a prerequisite to getting one on board as no one will want to have him wearing their brand name.
Good points.

As an aside, what's the go with Cordner?

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
And because lots of NRL players do it we should turn the blind eye? Shit. Lots of NRL players beat their wives. Why do we make such big fuss about that? Lost of NRL players snort coke on a daily basis. Why do we make such a fuss about that? This whole argument that other clubs do this, other players do that is nullinvoid to me. Means nothing.

It's our club. We've got set principals that we're trying to grow. A family culture that we're trying to restart. If we simply sweep this under the carpet then we go against the very thing we've been trying to grow. Stop trying to make out that we should follow other clubs' leads. Fuck other clubs. I want us to write our own story and that's what we're doing. I applaud the club's stance.

mate, you're comparing things that are illegal to something that is not even close to as bad as those things. All I was implying was that young, cashed up men with profiles, whether you or anybody else likes it, do, in fact, have legal sex. Yes they should be punished for breaking the rules re the hotel, but ffs a fine would suffice, not like they hurt or endangered anybody

Nexus

Super Duper Ultimate Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Fuck me, some of you need to calm down lol.

I am going to reserve judgement until I know the exact details. No one knows what happened exactly at this stage, its all rumours and inuendo.

For example, was the school girl chatted up at school or after school?
If it was out of school hours did he know she was from that school? Did she have a uniform on for example?
Did he meet her and find out later she was from the school?

If it was a girl from a school that they didnt visit would the reaction be different?

IMO the answers to these questions make a difference.

Once I know more details I will hammer whoever deserves it.

KambahOne

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good points.

As an aside, what's the go with Cordner?
He's had a knee issue for a few years, got some stem cell treatment on it previously but it has to be managed. I have no doubt he'll be raring fit for SOO 1. /roll eyes

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
mate, you're comparing things that are illegal to something that is not even close to as bad as those things. All I was implying was that young, cashed up men with profiles, whether you or anybody else likes it, do, in fact, have legal sex. Yes they should be punished for breaking the rules re the hotel, but ffs a fine would suffice, not like they hurt or endangered anybody
Would you be OK with a police officer going to your daughter's school to give a talk on safety. During that talk he gets your daughter's number. Later that evening the police officer arranges to meet your daughter at the police residence, and sneaks her in. They have sex.

And this would be OK for you what this police officer did? It's legal as you say ....