News 'I'll probably spray someone': Brandon Wakeham happy to be yap Dog

Cappuccino

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
The story goes Brandon Wakeham was about to feed the scrum in the GIO Cup schoolboys final in 2016 when he spotted teen sensation Payne Haas, looked him up and down and quipped: "Mate, you're not that good.''

Wakeham is unsure if they were his exact words during the clash his Westfields Sports won over a star-studded Palm Beach Currumbin, but admits he was always happy to sledge.
The yappy Bulldog will likely be heard by the fans wearing ref's ears inside a packed Bankwest Stadium on Thursday night for the season-opening western Sydney grudge match against Parramatta.

The chirpy Fijian confirmed he had already been given the nod by Canterbury coach Dean Pay to wear the No. 6 alongside Lachlan Lewis, despite starting the pre-season behind teammate Jack Cogger in the five-eighth pecking order.

What 82kg Wakeham lacks in size he makes up for with spirited banter - and none of the Eels will be spared.

Wakeham has already had some fun with Clint Gutherson at the Nines when he kept pretending to kick the ball one way and then changing his mind for a kick-off, which prompted the Eels skipper to blurt a few expletives.

"All the small guys are pretty chirpy and like to throw out the one-liners during the game,'' Wakeham said.

"If we're going all right and we're doing a few good things, a few of them might get a spray [on Thursday night]. I won't get carried away. I'll probably spray someone during the game. I'll try to tease them or do something, just to get in their head.

"A lot of my schoolmates went to Parra, and we had some pretty good games against them. I hate them when I'm playing them, but off the field they're my mates.''

Canterbury teammates all smiled when talking about Wakeham and how he forever boosted the spirits in the sheds. They giggled when he broke into some twerking during a recent TV promotion.

Wakeham grew up in Chester Hill and recalled getting into trouble when he scribbled the words 'Sonny Bill Williams' in big black texta across the front of his house.

"I would have been five or six after they had won the 2004 grand final,'' said Wakeham, in reference to the Dogs' last premiership with Williams involved.

"I wrote his name outside our house and mum and dad weren't happy.

"I actually came here one day and watched them train and we took some photos. It was pretty cool.''

Lewis said of his new halves partner: "I love unique people who are not afraid to be themselves, and 'Wakesy' is himself. He's great to have around.

"He needs to work on defence because they'll target him - he's a young kid in the halves, and halves have it bad enough as it is - but he'll rise to the challenge.''

Wakeham plans to make the five-eighth spot his own, or at least until midway through the season whe star playmaker Kieran Foran returns from a shoulder reconstruction.

Like Foran, Wakeham is off contract at the end of the season, but wants to stay put at his junior club.

"I love the club and have supported them as long as I can remember,'' Wakeham said.

"I'd love to stay here and hopefully we can get something done soon.''

Wakeham learned of his selection when he arrived for training on the weekend and spotted his name on the whiteboard next to the No. 6. Plenty of family will be at Bankwest Stadium, which is tipped to be a sellout. The youngster is able to drive himself after he got his P plates recently passing with flying colours.

Last edited:

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
Lol, that's a great sign of confidence!

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
spray away. We hate them on and off the field

Moey

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
We have been missing a young kid with confidence and who is cocky. Signs of a good future. I am looking forward to new batch of Dogs coming through the grade.
And for the first time in years, i can see the light at the end of the tunnel, Dogs will rise again in the future

Horse

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
We have been missing a young kid with confidence and who is cocky. Signs of a good future. I am looking forward to new batch of Dogs coming through the grade.
And for the first time in years, i can see the light at the end of the tunnel, Dogs will rise again in the future
Are you sure lol, Lewis is getting pasted on here left right and centre for being young and confident.

But you’re right, the light at the end of the tunnel is upon us. Great times ahead.

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Are you sure lol, Lewis is getting pasted on here left right and centre for being young and confident.

But you’re right, the light at the end of the tunnel is upon us. Great times ahead.
if you are even trying to compare the 2 situations you are delusional

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score

Wakeham isn't the one saying that he was surprised Lewis made the team ahead of Cogger and that Lewis needs to work on his attack.. There's a difference between being cocky on the field and saying the right things off it.

But I also agree with you and Moe that great times are ahead.

I just hope if Wakeham does has a poor game that people don't act as if it's the end of his career. If he gets a continued run to start the season, then I think we'll see the best of him.

Moey

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Tipping Champion
Reaction score

It excludes Lewis, i honestly believe he doesnt have a future in the halves after this year. That's just my opinion

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Talking shit to the opposition is a sign of confidence.
talking shit about a teammate is a sign of insecurity.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Already a superstar.!!! And to think a few on here doubted him, I mean yes it’s too early to give him such a title, but everything that’s been talked about and heard.. he sounds like the real deal. He will go places and has a great attitude.

Jai81

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I really hope he performs but the jury is still out for now...

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Pay didn’t even talk to him about being selected just put it on the board with the teamlist fmd how about make it a special moment fmd

2ndphase

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Pay didn’t even talk to him about being selected just put it on the board with the teamlist fmd how about make it a special moment fmd
I was disappointed about that too.
Wakeham being a bulldogs fan its been his childhood dream.
Its pretty shit not celebrating this moment.