Sydney Roosters sign Josh Morris from Cronulla Sharks

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...s/news-story/1ac20ee22f6441185bdcc140e81f9ee7

Cronulla will release veteran centre Josh Morris to the Sydney Roosters after Saturday night’s game against the South Sydney Rabbitohs, ending a month-long stand-off over his future.

The original plan to hold the Blues State of Origin star until after round five has been fast-tracked four weeks to ease the Sharks’ salary cap problems.

An announcement on Morris joining the Roosters is expected to be made next Monday.

As part of the deal the Roosters will pay the Sharks a $75,000 transfer fee.

It means Morris will line up against his Sharks team mates in round five.

Cronulla decided not to hold onto Morris for any longer because of their salary cap problems.

Paying him another month would have put further pressure on their cap.

Morris’ departure will leave the Sharks with only 28 players. They need 30 by June 30.

However there is talk the Roosters may also release middle forward Poasa Faamausili to the Sharks for one season, as revealed in The Daily Telegraph last week.

They would also promote a development squad player to the top 30.

The Sharks softened their stance on keeping Morris when veteran Josh Dugan returned to training last week and declared himself available to play in the early rounds.

Morris’ hopes of joining brother Brett at the Roosters were hinging on a Cronulla board meeting on Tuesday.

There were suggestions the Sharks would prefer to hold off releasing Morris until after their round five clash against the Roosters.

But the Roosters want the veteran centre to be made available by next week, and if they were made to hold off longer there is a chance the deal could fall through.

Making Morris’ situation more uncomfortable was the fact that he was told late last season he would be free to find a new club in 2020 because the Sharks had salary cap troubles.

It is understood Morris’ agent David Riolo was notified of this by the Sharks.

That was also when the Sharks were in negotiations to bring Jesse Ramien back to the club, while young Bronson Xerri was always going to be the other centre.

That what later led to the Roosters showing interest after young centre Billy Smith suffered a long-term knee injury during pre-season that opened an opportunity for Morris to reunite with his twin brother.

It’s understood coach John Morris wanted to keep Josh, although some of the board were keen to get the deal done with the Roosters.

Under NRL guidelines, Riolo was only free to negotiate with the Roosters because he had the Sharks’ blessing.

It is also understood the Sharks were still pushing to get a player trade included in this deal with young forward Poasa Faamausili the potential candidate.

Brett Morris said he was still hoping to reunite with his brother but said Josh would handle himself professionally regardless, as his pre-season form has shown.

He said the most difficult thing for Josh now would be leaving the Sharks players.

“He has worked hard with those bunch of guys over there at Cronulla and I think it would be hard to just get up and walk away from that,” Brett said.

“In saying that, Josh has been around rugby league a long time now.

“He knows defensive structures. He knows attacking structures. I don’t think it would take him too long to transition over here at all.”

Brett said Josh would find comfort in the fact he was at least now back playing football.

“When you are out on the field (in rugby league) that is your escape,” Brett said.

“You don’t have time to think about what is happening off the field.”

Brett said he never expected he would ever get the chance to play with Josh at NRL level again after they left the Bulldogs at the end of 2018.

“To be honest it never even crossed my mind,” he said. “I just thought that would have been it.”

If Morris doesn’t get a release, Brett said Angus Crichton would be more than capable of taking over from Latrell Mitchell at left centre this season.

“He is a guy who wants to learn more each week. Centre is a tough position but Gussy is a tough guy,” Brett said.

“Defensively he is one of those guys that you probably don’t want to run at. He’s sat a couple of blokes on their backsides in the pre-season already.”

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
The old scum usually gets what he wants

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
I think this has more to do with with Josh wanting a premiership handed to him ala Gasnier style.

Cappuccino

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
If he wants to play with his brother so bad and cronulla had injuries....why didnt Brett sign for Cronulla lol

I'm sorry but this has tarnished JMoz a little in my eyes, he should have just wound up his career with us.

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
I think this has more to do with with Josh wanting a premiership handed to him ala Gasnier style.
I don't think anybody would argue that Josh deserves a premiership, he has worked his ass off for his entire career... would suck for him to have to finish his career at a sinking ship that is Cronulla

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Both Morris boys at the arch enemy one has already won a comp with them and J Moz hoping to do the same

tough pill to swallow

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Should have been a bulldog. He is not, He doesn’t wear our colours anymore so I simply don’t care.!!

BELMORE

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I don't think anybody would argue that Josh deserves a premiership, he has worked his ass off for his entire career... would suck for him to have to finish his career at a sinking ship that is Cronulla
He doesn’t deserve anything just like everyone else

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Both Morris boys at the arch enemy one has already won a comp with them and J Moz hoping to do the same

tough pill to swallow

yeah I know what you mean mate and I know Josh had some things to say when he left but at the end of the day, if it wasn't for the acts of a few, both twins would have likely finished their careers with us

Jai81

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sharks have to many individuals and not enough team players! I will be surprised if they make the 8...

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
oh, right
I know your a josh fan boy mate, and so was I.. for whatever reasons he left etc is fine, but he does not play for us any longer and that’s why I don’t care. It’s not personal.

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Sharks have to many individuals and not enough team players! I will be surprised if they make the 8...
I don't really know what direction they are going in, sorta feel like you've got to have either SJ or Moylan, but not both. I might be proven wrong, but I think letting Kyle walk could come back to hurt them.. thought they looked like a typical Sharks team when he was in the lineup

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
I know your a josh fan boy mate, and so was I.. for whatever reasons he left etc is fine, but he does not play for us any longer and that’s why I don’t care. It’s not personal.

I wouldn't say I am overly invested.. if we were a premiership threat this season I would not be saying those things that's for sure!

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
I wouldn't say I am overly invested.. if we were a premiership threat this season I would not be saying those things that's for sure!
Fair enough, I respect that !!