News Bulldogs unveil new halves combination for NRL round one

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Canterbury halfback Lachlan Lewis has revealed he was shocked to find out Brandon Wakeham had beaten Jack Cogger to the no.6 jumper. The Prince of Belmore is also ready to take full ownership of the Bulldogs in 2020.

Canterbury halfback Lachlan Lewis revealed he was as shocked as Brandon Wakeham to find out the livewire five-eighth had beaten Jack Cogger to a round one starting spot.

Wakeham and Cogger had spent the pre-season battling it out for a chance to partner Lewis in the halves. It appeared Cogger had edged ahead in that race but coach Dean Pay sprung a selection surprise last Saturday.

“Yeah I was [surprised]. We trialled both times with Coggs [Cogger] in the starting side but they both had equal minutes [in the trial]. I was surprised but that’s the head coach's [job], that’s what they’re for and I believe in Dean,” Lewis said.

“On Thursday we’ll see if he’s made the right choice.

“I have full confidence in Wakes [Wakeham] and I can’t wait to play with the little fella and I hope we all play well so things don’t turn around and we start pointing fingers.”

Wakeham, a Bulldogs local junior, wasn’t expecting to see his name in Pay’s starting 13 for this Thursday’s clash against the Parramatta Eels at Bankwest Stadium.

“We came into training last Saturday and (Pay) just put the team lists up on the board and I was there, No. 6,” Wakeham revealed.

“I thought I played pretty good during the trials and put my best foot forward. I thought still at the end it was probably hard for ‘Deano’ to choose the no. 6.

“I’m happy that he chose me and hopefully I won’t let the team and boys down.”

Despite Wakeham, 21, only having three NRL games to his name, Lewis is backing the wily playmaker to successfully file the hole left by Kieran Foran. Foran is out with a shoulder injury and is unlikely to be fit until the back end of the season.

“He is [up to it]. We’ve done a lot of work the three of us – me, Coggs and Wakes – subbing in and out and I’m equally confident in either men. Deano [Dean Pay] has chosen Wakes and you know what, he’s going to go out there and play really well on Thursday,” Lewis said.

But Lewis has warned Wakeham to expect to be a marked man at Bankwest Stadium.

“He needs to work on his defence because they are going to target him. He’s a young kid in the halves and halves have it hard as is but he’ll rise to that challenge. He’s got great skill, he’s got big shoes to fill but we’ll take a lot of that load and he’ll go out and do it,” Lewis said.

Given the inexperience of Wakeham and Foran’s long-term injury, Lewis must now step-up into the role as the man who steers the Bulldogs around the park.

It’s a ‘responsibility’ Lewis believes he is ready-made for but interestingly not one he feels any pressure about taking on.

“Not pressure, [I feel] responsibility. I guess responsibility is the burden of greatness... and in this sport that is the burden we all take in the halves. Playing in the halves you’re the man that gets blamed if you’re team isn’t playing well and I take that responsibility on. If anything happens in our attack that’s on me,” Lewis said.

“I’m excited about the fact that I can be ‘the’ man to run the side, I love that. I talk a lot and that’s what I have always striven for.”

Elsewhere in Canterbury’s backline Reimis Smith confirmed he will start at left centre on Thursday with Nick Meaney on the edge

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/bulldogs-unveil-new-halves-combination-for-nrl-round-one/news-story/ce805a6857d2e61e80078f7d1090c921

Last edited by a moderator:

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Hopefully Pay gives him another "suprise" when he tells him he isn't the halfback for Thursday night :tearsofjoy:

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Pfft.. Fuck the prince talks some shit, it should be wakeham an cogger, not you an wakeham lol.. those two will form a better combination, and their playing styles will compliment one another’s better ..!!!

you can do all your talking from the sideline as well :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Pfft.. Fuck the prince talks some shit, it should be wakeham an cogger, not you an wakeham lol.. those two will form a better combination, and their playing styles will compliment one another’s better ..!!!

you can do all your talking from the sideline as well :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:
I have a feeling after our first loss it will be Cogger/Wakeham combo.

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Take the mic off Lewis ffs
Just concentrate on your game son
Same thing last year ‘eyes up footy’ then he started the season badly

Dropped

Came back better

Let’s see on Thursday

Sleeky

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
“Big shoes to fill”

This guy!!! Please tell me he’s not referring to himself about the big shoes?

bowleggedwog

wogdog
Reaction score
Lewis needs to put his money where his mouth is this year. Walking headline is there for his defence. Both cogger and wakeham have shown more with the ball. Big 1st few rounds for the prince .

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Funny... when Lewis first started getting heard, a lot of people were like "I like the fact he says what's on his mind, instead of all the cliche stuff the players get coached to say". Lewis is still being Lewis, and saying exactly what he thinks, but now people are bagging him out for it.

Also, as a coach, I'd definitely rather have a halfback who publicly states that if the attack fails it's on them, than one that just nods at what you say but you don't know what they are thinking.

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
“Responsibility is the burden of greatness”
Tell me he didn’t say that ??

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
I was thinking the exact same thing ..... the guy is his own biggest fan..

bulldog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Well, he quoted Winston Churchill. Maybe he should have stuck with the "yeah,nah the boys have been ripping in at training, blah, blah, blah, have another cliche about being a tight group"

Lewis needs Less talk more action ..
Can't argue with that, but he's a confident kid who speaks well in front of the cameras and the media, not his fault the club trots him out for the interviews.

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Well, he quoted Winston Churchill. Maybe he should have stuck with the "yeah,nah the boys have been ripping in at training, blah, blah, blah, have another cliche about being a tight group"

Can't argue with that, but he's a confident kid who speaks well in front of the cameras and the media, not his fault the club trots him out for the interviews.
Moses Mbye version 2.0

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score

He’s not Winston Churchill.
He’s a footy player, and an average one at that.

bulldog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
He’s not Winston Churchill.
He’s a footy player, and an average one at that.
So he should speak like an idiot then?

There's plenty of things to bag him for, being well spoken and one of the few players at our club that the media want to speak to regularly isn't real high on that list.

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
So he should speak like an idiot then?

There's plenty of things to bag him for, being well spoken and one of the few players at our club that the media want to speak to regularly isn't real high on that list.
Well spoken?
He called himself great.
I think he should put down the quote book and pick up a playbook.

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
are you guys still bitching about Lewis? fmd.. how about we just get behind the team for round 1