News Dogs rookie reveals the moment he learned of shock Round 1 call-up

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
I don't think there is anything wrong with Lewis' comments. Just haters trying to find something to take a swipe at him. I can take Lewis' comment and say Cogger was the front runner for the position but Wakeham played so well that he jumped him. SURPRISED.

DogsOfWar1704

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Maybe pay was keeping it all a secret, having other teams believe cogger was the front runner so they studied coggers game instead of wakehams?
Then boom wakeham surprises everyone and helps us string some wins together.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Completely agree. The thing that stuck out from this interview was not Wakeham but Lewis' comments. Found them quite disrespectful personally. Don't doubt that he didn't mean any harm but all the same, brainless comments.
Some sort of weird reverse psychology done deliberately?
Seems odd at face value...

D- voice

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Lachlan could have and should have refrained from comments regarding validation in the coming game against the Eels.

Whilst he’s technically accurate, it just sounds like he’s a jilted besty of Cogger.

In the process, he’s created unnecessary pressure on Wakeham.

He needed to back his teammate and show him he’s got his support, you can articulate that without sounding like your upset for your buddy...
Lewis is Pay's pet !!!
Why else would Pay allow him to blubber ???
I am concerned for Wakeham...He could be a " lamb led to the slaughter "

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Some sort of weird reverse psychology done deliberately?
Seems odd at face value...
Odd ... I'd go as far as disrespectful personally.

Anyway, massive game on Thurs. More important things to think about!

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I don't think there is anything wrong with Lewis' comments. Just haters trying to find something to take a swipe at him. I can take Lewis' comment and say Cogger was the front runner for the position but Wakeham played so well that he jumped him. SURPRISED.
Really? Fair enough. Each to their own I guess.

Personally don't see me as a hater of anyone on the team. I don't have any favourites or players I think should be ahead of others. I'm as objective as you can get as all I see is what's in the press.

It comes across badly in balck & white. The comments are strange to make. Really strange. I've been watching sport for many many years and I haven't seen a comment like it if I'm honest. It's always tied into the team, that we win it together and lose it together. He comments go against that ethos imo.

"on Thursday we’ll see if he’s made the right choice” heaps a lot of pressure on Wakeham saying that any result will be a result of Wakeham rather than Lewis. The guy is way way too comfortable in this team imo as I honestly can't believe a player would be saying that.

Anyway, whatever. Let's worry about the game

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Tell you what. Lewis' comments are pretty gash. Really doesn't support Wakeham much at all
Yeah just blows me away how much lewis talks like fmd he needs so much work on his attacking game before he talks about others,wakeham will play well

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
The problem is with the comments Lewis used he’s left so much room for interpretation. The “let’s see if Dean is right on Thursday” line can be taken plenty of different ways and it’s a stupid thing to say.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Anyone that supports Lewis' comments clearly doesn't understand the dynamic of team sports and the locker room environment. There are certain things you do and don't say..

Lewis essentially questioned his coach publicly for making the decision. He questioned whether Wakeham was ready for FG instead of what he should have said and what every other pro athlete says in that situation which should have been:

"I'm happy for Wakeham. He's worked hard for this opportunity and he's a great young player with a bright future so we're all happy for him"..

If he wanted to support Cogger, he could have added:

"At the same time, you feel for Jack losing his spot but I know he'll use this as motivation and work hard to try and get back in the team"..

Instead of pointing out Wakeham's weaknesses, why couldn't Lewis have talked up his strengths like any other player would in that situation, like DWZ and others did recently when asked about Wakeham?

This isn't the first time Lewis has talked with such arrogance and entitlement and it won't be the last. Lewis better start the season off in sparkling form because the way he talks, you'd think he was a ten year Origin player, not a player fighting for a FG spot himself.

Last edited:

Cappuccino

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
oh WHAT THE FUCK

Shut
The
Fuck
Up

Can't wait until this scourge Lewis is gone

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Lewis is Pay's pet !!!
Why else would Pay allow him to blubber ???
I am concerned for Wakeham...He could be a " lamb led to the slaughter "
I thought Cogger was Pay’s pet? That’s what we’ve been told by all the experts this off season too who said the Lewis/Cogger combination was definitely locked in and Pay wouldn’t change it

Snake

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
““I have full confidence in Wakes [Wakeham] and I can’t wait to play with the little fella and I hope we all play well“
The Prince.

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Anyone that supports Lewis' comments clearly doesn't understand the dynamic of team sports and the locker room environment. There are certain things you do and don't say..

Lewis essentially questioned his coach publicly for making the decision. He questioned whether Wakeham was ready for FG instead of what he should have said and what every other pro athlete says in that situation which should have been:

"I'm happy for Wakeham. He's worked hard for this opportunity and he's a great young player with a bright future so we're all happy for him"..

If he wanted to support Cogger, he could have added:

"At the same time, you feel for Jack losing his spot but I know he'll use this as motivation and work hard to try and get back in the team"..

Instead of pointing out Wakeham's weaknesses, why couldn't Lewis have talked up his strengths like any other player would in that situation, like DWZ and others did recently when asked about Wakeham?

This isn't the first time Lewis has talked with such arrogance and entitlement and it won't be the last. Lewis better start the season off in sparkling form because the way he talks, you'd think he was a ten year Origin player, not a player fighting for a FG spot himself.
I get what you are saying btrainben, but I think he is damned no matter what he says. I played plenty of sport and there is always someone with a big gob that also has foot in mouth disease. I dont think he was challenging or 2nd guessing anyone and he would have got a flogging on here if he had said it was the correct choice to leave Cogger out. I think Spoonman84 comment of "The problem is with the comments Lewis used he’s left so much room for interpretation. The “let’s see if Dean is right on Thursday” line can be taken plenty of different ways and it’s a stupid thing to say.", was 100% right it was a stupid thing to say.

But LMAO.. he is a footy player not a rocket scientist which fortunately for the Kennel we have plenty of...Let him talk all he likes, if he doesn't back it up on the field he will end up at another club or park footy. Kudos to his confidence, I like people who burn the bridges leaving no retreat. BUT, for his and the teams sake he better deliver :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
. I can take Lewis' comment and say Cogger was the front runner for the position but Wakeham played so well that he jumped him. SURPRISED.
Yea, then he publicly cast doubt on his teammate.

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Any fair minded person would see those comments as a slight on Wakeham.

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
““I have full confidence in Wakes [Wakeham] and I can’t wait to play with the little fella and I hope we all play well“
The Prince.
“So we don’t turn around and start pointing fingers”
Also ‘the prince’

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
If anyone can find a negative out of a positive it’s the kennel.
Lewis doesn’t just give the usual footy player cliches but he’s not having a go at Wakeham.

Also, do people think players like Lewis & Elliott chase the media to do interviews?
No, the club nominate them
Why? Because they have a bit of personality and confidence

FFS bring on Thursday

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
Great story. Don't you just get that feeling when young kids tell you about how special the moment is. Especially with the part about his Mum and family. I totally see the sense in selecting him because we need to know what he's got before making a decision on our cap. I know some will say something about the #6 but unless they go to old school of halves same side it really doesn't matter. All the best, goodluck and I hope he's our next big thing!
I hope he has a great game. With Cogger breathing down his neck, it would be good to see young Wakeham play himself into the team.