News Dogs rookie reveals the moment he learned of shock Round 1 call-up

CanterburybankstownBD

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Brandon Wakeham will wear the No.6 jersey for the Bulldogs in the season-opener on Thursday night.
The 21-year-old has been in a neck-and-neck race with Jack Cogger, but Wakeham confirmed on Monday that he got the nod from coach Dean Pay.

“I got the news last week, I’m pretty happy and excited. I didn’t think I was going to get it but hopefully I play good on Thursday, try to cement my spot there for the rest of the year,” he said.

“We came into training last Saturday and (Pay) just put the team lists up on the board and I was there, No.6.

“I thought I played pretty good during the trials and put my best foot forward. I thought still at the end it was probably hard for ‘Deano’ to choose the No.6.

“I’m happy that he chose me and hopefully I won’t let the team and boys down.”

Despite two strong performances in the trials, the quietly spoken local junior still expected to see Cogger partnering Lachie Lewis in the halves because of the combination they formed in the back end of last season.

“Those boys finished last year off in the top grade and I thought ‘Deano’ would just go with them again in those early rounds and I’d have to play good footy in Canterbury Cup.”

His halves partner Lachie Lewis was equally surprised to see Wakeham’s name on the team list.

“I was (surprised). We trialled both times with ‘Cogs’, that was the starting side, they both had equal minutes. I was surprised, but that’s what head coaches are for. I believe in Dean and on Thursday we’ll see if he’s made the right choice,” Lewis said.

“I feel comfortable with ‘Wakes’ and I can’t wait to play. He’s a good fella and I hope we all play well so that things don’t turn around and we start pointing fingers.”

When Wakeham got the good news, he wasted no time in letting his family know. His mum – a diehard Bulldogs fan – was the most excited and has already cleared her schedule for the occasion.

“She always gets carried away, she gets nervous and stuff and she was probably jumping up and down at work,” Wakeham said.

“She said ‘I’ve got to go tell my work that I’m not working Thursday now,’ so she’s taking the day off to come and support me. She’s loved the dogs ever since she was born, my whole family go for the Bulldogs so they’ll all be there.”

Securing a starting spot in Round 1 is a big deal for any emerging player. But for this through-and-through Bulldog it’s a dream come true.

Wakeham idolised Sonny Bill Williams growing up and he made sure everyone knew it.

“I remember being a young kid living in Chester Hill, I wrote Sonny Bill Williams’ name up on the brick wall outside the house. Mum and dad weren’t too happy with that.

“I would have been maybe five, or six. It probably would have been after the 2004 grand final.

Back then SBW was the emerging talent in Belmore with the world ahead of him.

Now, 16 years later, the little boy who wrote a player’s name on a wall with black texter is the emerging talent and has the opportunity to cement himself as the future of the club.

“I really want to play consistent footy, especially in this first quarter of the season. With Kieran Foran, hopefully he’s back early and hopefully I can cement my spot there for the future and for the rest of this year.”

With the responsibility of a starting half, he will undoubtedly face some challenges.

At just 82 kilos, Lewis believes his young teammate will be targeted by the opposition. But he also backs him to stand his ground.

“He needs to work on his defence because they’re going to target him. He’s a young kid in the halves. Halves have it bad enough as is but he’ll rise to that challenge,” Lewis said.

“He’s got great skill, though he has big shoes to fill obviously with Kieran (Foran), we’ll all take a bit of that load and he’ll go do his part.”

When Wakeham takes the field on Thursday night it will be in front of a packed Bankwest Stadium against old rivals the Eels.

He knows what he’ll be coming up against but the likes of a 123 kilo Junior Paulo or a two metre tall Shaun Lane won’t scare Wakeham off from having a bit of bite about him.

“I think all the small guys are pretty chirpy and love to throw out those one-liners throughout the game. It’s good to have a laugh on the field when you’re tired and struggling.

“It depends how we’re going. If we’re going all right and doing a few good things, a few of them might get a spray from me but I don’t want to get carried away and not focus on the game.”
https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...p/news-story/72673d0228a9befdbd660761c47554cd

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
Great story. Don't you just get that feeling when young kids tell you about how special the moment is. Especially with the part about his Mum and family. I totally see the sense in selecting him because we need to know what he's got before making a decision on our cap. I know some will say something about the #6 but unless they go to old school of halves same side it really doesn't matter. All the best, goodluck and I hope he's our next big thing!

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Best of luck to Wakeham. I'm very happy Pay picked him and hope he starts off strong and proves he can be the solution at half that many of us think he can be. Either way he needs extended time and patience shown in him to flourish, even if he starts off slow...

The air of entitlement and arrogance that Lewis talks with sometimes irritates me though, especially coming from someone who has so much to prove himself and is lucky to be in the team.

Shire Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It’s just a great story and wish him all the best
Nothing better than seeing a local junior come through the ranks
There will be so many family and supporters watching him back in Fiji
Lets hope that our junior program producers many more along the same lines

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Good luck Brandon. I hope you kill it and are in the halves for many years to come.

As for Lewis I absolutely can't stand his comments. Calls Brandon a kid like he's some seasoned first grader and there's only a few years between them in age. He was "suprised" and "we'll see if Pay made the right choice" rather than endorsing Wakeham and giving him confidence.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Someone at the club needs to have a talk to Lewis and put him in his place, or maybe this is the clubs fault by constantly feeding his ego? Either way these type of comments from him are coming up way too often and it's really frustrating to see, can only imagine what sort of things are going on behind the scenes with him right now.

Anyway let's hope his actions match that of his words because right now he's speaking with the arrogance of an athlete that's at the top of his sport when in fact he's the complete opposite of that.

Really happy for Wakeham to get the spot in the starting 13...now let's hope it's a genuine opportunity and he takes it with both hands because we bloody well need someone in the spine to.

Shire Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Best of luck to Wakeham. I'm very happy Pay picked him and hope he starts off strong and proves he can be the solution at half that many of us think he can be. Either way he needs extended time and patience shown in him to flourish, even if he starts off slow...

The air of entitlement and arrogance that Lewis talks with sometimes irritates me though, especially coming from someone who has so much to prove himself and is lucky to be in the team.
Don’t worry about Lewis that much
He has been given a fair shot to prove himself but at some point this year things will definitely come to a cross roads
That very famous name in rugby league can only take him so far.

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
I am so pumped that he is playing round 1... you see a lot of halves who look a bit clunky when they get into FG but Wakeham just looks the part and looks so comfortable out there... could very well be the difference as to where we end up on the ladder this year

ddt192

The Blue N White Butcher Stripe
Reaction score
This is what we need.... Just start him Rd 1 and see how he goes. Never mind Lewis he sounds worried Wakehams gonna end up taking his spot haha

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Lewis is probably doing the quick math

When Foran comes back ....

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Fkn Lewis, deathriding wakeham?
Why is Lewis talking like he’s some kind of veteran anyway? He shouldn’t have even made the team over cogger.

Isaac

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Brandon Wakeham will wear the No.6 jersey for the Bulldogs in the season-opener on Thursday night.
The 21-year-old has been in a neck-and-neck race with Jack Cogger, but Wakeham confirmed on Monday that he got the nod from coach Dean Pay.

“I got the news last week, I’m pretty happy and excited. I didn’t think I was going to get it but hopefully I play good on Thursday, try to cement my spot there for the rest of the year,” he said.

“We came into training last Saturday and (Pay) just put the team lists up on the board and I was there, No.6.

“I thought I played pretty good during the trials and put my best foot forward. I thought still at the end it was probably hard for ‘Deano’ to choose the No.6.

“I’m happy that he chose me and hopefully I won’t let the team and boys down.”

Despite two strong performances in the trials, the quietly spoken local junior still expected to see Cogger partnering Lachie Lewis in the halves because of the combination they formed in the back end of last season.

“Those boys finished last year off in the top grade and I thought ‘Deano’ would just go with them again in those early rounds and I’d have to play good footy in Canterbury Cup.”

His halves partner Lachie Lewis was equally surprised to see Wakeham’s name on the team list.

“I was (surprised). We trialled both times with ‘Cogs’, that was the starting side, they both had equal minutes. I was surprised, but that’s what head coaches are for. I believe in Dean and on Thursday we’ll see if he’s made the right choice,” Lewis said.

“I feel comfortable with ‘Wakes’ and I can’t wait to play. He’s a good fella and I hope we all play well so that things don’t turn around and we start pointing fingers.”

When Wakeham got the good news, he wasted no time in letting his family know. His mum – a diehard Bulldogs fan – was the most excited and has already cleared her schedule for the occasion.

“She always gets carried away, she gets nervous and stuff and she was probably jumping up and down at work,” Wakeham said.

“She said ‘I’ve got to go tell my work that I’m not working Thursday now,’ so she’s taking the day off to come and support me. She’s loved the dogs ever since she was born, my whole family go for the Bulldogs so they’ll all be there.”

Securing a starting spot in Round 1 is a big deal for any emerging player. But for this through-and-through Bulldog it’s a dream come true.

Wakeham idolised Sonny Bill Williams growing up and he made sure everyone knew it.

“I remember being a young kid living in Chester Hill, I wrote Sonny Bill Williams’ name up on the brick wall outside the house. Mum and dad weren’t too happy with that.

“I would have been maybe five, or six. It probably would have been after the 2004 grand final.

Back then SBW was the emerging talent in Belmore with the world ahead of him.

Now, 16 years later, the little boy who wrote a player’s name on a wall with black texter is the emerging talent and has the opportunity to cement himself as the future of the club.

“I really want to play consistent footy, especially in this first quarter of the season. With Kieran Foran, hopefully he’s back early and hopefully I can cement my spot there for the future and for the rest of this year.”

With the responsibility of a starting half, he will undoubtedly face some challenges.

At just 82 kilos, Lewis believes his young teammate will be targeted by the opposition. But he also backs him to stand his ground.

“He needs to work on his defence because they’re going to target him. He’s a young kid in the halves. Halves have it bad enough as is but he’ll rise to that challenge,” Lewis said.

“He’s got great skill, though he has big shoes to fill obviously with Kieran (Foran), we’ll all take a bit of that load and he’ll go do his part.”

When Wakeham takes the field on Thursday night it will be in front of a packed Bankwest Stadium against old rivals the Eels.

He knows what he’ll be coming up against but the likes of a 123 kilo Junior Paulo or a two metre tall Shaun Lane won’t scare Wakeham off from having a bit of bite about him.

“I think all the small guys are pretty chirpy and love to throw out those one-liners throughout the game. It’s good to have a laugh on the field when you’re tired and struggling.

“It depends how we’re going. If we’re going all right and doing a few good things, a few of them might get a spray from me but I don’t want to get carried away and not focus on the game.”
https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...p/news-story/72673d0228a9befdbd660761c47554cd
Brandon Wakeham will kill it. He can run, he can kick and he can read the game. His the sherwin we were waiting for. We have $550k to spend through the season. I won’t be surprise if we sign Jamayne Isaako mid season.

TrioBench 1995

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Someone at the club needs to have a talk to Lewis and put him in his place, or maybe this is the clubs fault by constantly feeding his ego? Either way these type of comments from him are coming up way too often and it's really frustrating to see, can only imagine what sort of things are going on behind the scenes with him right now.

Anyway let's hope his actions match that of his words because right now he's speaking with the arrogance of an athlete that's at the top of his sport when in fact he's the complete opposite of that.

Really happy for Wakeham to get the spot in the starting 13...now let's hope it's a genuine opportunity and he takes it with both hands because we bloody well need someone in the spine to.
Just remember to support who ever plays for the DOGS cause they all put in , and stop pushin your ego