News Eels v Bulldogs: Round 1 preview (NRL.COM)

khan

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can't believe how much they are pumping the Eels up this year, they are so far off the pace of teams like Easts and Melbourne
Im sure it has something to do with "joey johns" affiliation with parra and previously freddy with moses.

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Im sure it has something to do with "joey johns" affiliation with parra and previously freddy with moses.
I have no doubt Moses is going to have another good season, but they are far from a premiership threat for mine, one gun in the spine and average defence is not even close to what is required

khan

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have no doubt Moses is going to have another good season, but they are far from a premiership threat for mine, one gun in the spine and average defence is not even close to what is required
Not worth top 4 talk even 6 and if moses is out i highly doubt they'll make the 8.

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Not worth top 4 talk even 6 and if moses is out i highly doubt they'll make the 8.
if we play our best game, and they theirs, I think we win... and we're not even considered for top 8

Last edited:

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Brad Arthur has had plenty of good cattle to work with and a number of years now without real success,I just dont think he is top shelf in the coach pecking order and glad he is not at Belmore.

Last edited:

khan

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
if we play our best game, and they theirs, I think we win... and we've not even considered for top 8
In front of a big crowd anything is possible, we go orite on the big stage and so do they.. hope its not a case stage fright tho!

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Parra have loads of strike power, but to me they are not a cohesive unit. Barthur seems to spend more time working on individuals than other coaches do, but while this approach can push individuals further, it has its downside. Parra has become one of those teams that will throttle you if things are going their way, but tend to wimp out if things are not. Three games demonstrated this last year. Round 23 they were coming off 4 straight wins and a last start belting over the Titans. They came up against the dogs who played that game really tight and aggressive, and as things progressively didn't go their way they increasingly lost their way. Finals week 1 they came up against a divided Bonkos side which was having some off field trouble, things went their way, and they belted them. Neksminnit, against Storm, things don't go their way and they collapse.

They deserve to be favourites on paper. But if the Dogs start well, the Eels make a few errors, and the refs don't get too one-sided, chances are fair to good that the Eels will lose their way.

khan

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Parra have loads of strike power, but to me they are not a cohesive unit. Barthur seems to spend more time working on individuals than other coaches do, but while this approach can push individuals further, it has its downside. Parra has become one of those teams that will throttle you if things are going their way, but tend to wimp out if things are not. Three games demonstrated this last year. Round 23 they were coming off 4 straight wins and a last start belting over the Titans. They came up against the dogs who played that game really tight and aggressive, and as things progressively didn't go their way they increasingly lost their way. Finals week 1 they came up against a divided Bonkos side which was having some off field trouble, things went their way, and they belted them. Neksminnit, against Storm, things don't go their way and they collapse.

They deserve to be favourites on paper. But if the Dogs start well, the Eels make a few errors, and the refs don't get too one-sided, chances are fair to good that the Eels will lose their way.
A perfect analysis. The same read i get on the duds.

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score

Spot on and thats what pay seems to do well as a coach is to give players belief and builds a real tight unit

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
Unsure why some ppl are calling eels to do better than last year without any real reason for it to happen, and people calling us to do worse this year, without any good reason for it.

It's a hard match though first up, reckon it will be close.

Berries

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Unsure why some ppl are calling eels to do better than last year without any real reason for it to happen, and people calling us to do worse this year, without any good reason for it.

It's a hard match though first up, reckon it will be close.
You have called for improvement out of the Dogs since 2014 every single year with no good reason and it never happened, even deleted my famous 5-19 thread

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
You have called for improvement out of the Dogs since 2014 every single year with no good reason and it never happened, even deleted my famous 5-19 thread
So if ppl are eels supporters and picked eels to go better it would be a different thing. That would be a reason to pick that. Don't get dogs supporters picking them to go better

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Source https://www.bulldogs.com.au/news/2020/03/09/injury-update-a-host-of-stars-available-for-selection/

The good news;
DWZ has recovered from the back bruising he sustained in the NRL All Stars fixture and is available for selection this week..
Meaney has been back to full training and is available for selection after missing the two trials against the Sharks and Raiders with a hamstring strain.
JMK has made a full recovery from shoulder surgery and has been training with the main squad for the past three to four weeks.
RFM who has been sidelined with an ankle syndesmosis injury has been training with the squad over the past two weeks and has completely recovered to be available for selection this week.
Sue is available to play this weekend after making a full recovery from an ACL injury he sustained during the club’s Round 17 match against the Newcastle Knights last year.

The not so good news;
Montoya has started full training with the main squad and is still three to four weeks away from playing as he continues to recover from a serious knee injury.
CSmith is two weeks post medial ligament repair after suffering a knee injury representing the Indigenous All Stars. He will be in a brace for the next two weeks and will continue to work with the club’s High-Performance staff on his rehabilitation program. The 26-year old will be sidelined for eight to ten weeks.
Foran continues to progress with his recovery from two shoulder operations and has taken the next steps in his rehab program.

Go Dogs

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Source https://www.bulldogs.com.au/news/2020/03/09/injury-update-a-host-of-stars-available-for-selection/

The good news;
DWZ has recovered from the back bruising he sustained in the NRL All Stars fixture and is available for selection this week..
Meaney has been back to full training and is available for selection after missing the two trials against the Sharks and Raiders with a hamstring strain.
JMK has made a full recovery from shoulder surgery and has been training with the main squad for the past three to four weeks.
RFM who has been sidelined with an ankle syndesmosis injury has been training with the squad over the past two weeks and has completely recovered to be available for selection this week.
Sue is available to play this weekend after making a full recovery from an ACL injury he sustained during the club’s Round 17 match against the Newcastle Knights last year.

The not so good news;
Montoya has started full training with the main squad and is still three to four weeks away from playing as he continues to recover from a serious knee injury.
CSmith is two weeks post medial ligament repair after suffering a knee injury representing the Indigenous All Stars. He will be in a brace for the next two weeks and will continue to work with the club’s High-Performance staff on his rehabilitation program. The 26-year old will be sidelined for eight to ten weeks.
Foran continues to progress with his recovery from two shoulder operations and has taken the next steps in his rehab program.

Go Dogs
Not happy that Sue is ready as I think Pay will pick him but he's down in my pecking order. I'd have him below Renouf, RFM, and Britt. Going from last season, Pay doesn't think so.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Not happy that Sue is ready as I think Pay will pick him but he's down in my pecking order. I'd have him below Renouf, RFM, and Britt. Going from last season, Pay doesn't think so.
Stimson and Britt weren't with us last season.

Go Dogs

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Fox sports are saying that RFM will play off the bench! N8ce!!

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Fox sports are saying that RFM will play off the bench! N8ce!!
Apparently the bench is: Holland, Toomaga, RFM and Britt. We'll find out tomorrow.

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
As much as I am looking forward to the start of the season and an under dogs win against the favored Parramatta side. I will be taking a moment silence in memory of
Drop Bear our much Loved Eels Member from Heaven, may he rest in peace :( Miss you brother.