News Brandon Wakeham will start in the halves for Canterbury in their season opener against Parramatta

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
Few things for me,

* Wakeham had to be given a chance so they can decide what direction to go next year. Of course Pay will let him play his game otherwise there's no point picking him,
* Katoa impressed me with what he did in the Raiders trial. All I had to go on was what people where saying on here having never really watched him but his service and eye from dummy half was really good. He would probably be my starting hooker at this stage until JMK proves his fitness and that he is generally better. JMK had earnt first chop but injuries have a way of messing with the pecking order.
* Love how Britt is surprising everyone, especially with all the negative talk of his signature (depth signing), he showed this last year but obviously no-one was watching or have no clue.
* Stimson will come good but right call being back-up for now. Think he might be one of those players who need a few games to get going, he looked a little too beefy in the trial. He was one of Storms best forwards late last year.

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
The negative shot about Lewis comes about simply because he isn't a halfback....please explain apart from his defence what attributes he has as a halfback? Cogger offers much more and deserves to start with Wakeham.
Thats correct he is better suited at 6 which is where he will be, where did I say he was a halfback?. Wakeham is a creative halfback and Coggers best position is also 7 so it was always between them for the spot. We dont have Foran or another better choice 5/8 and you cant put Cogger and Wakeham together as they both play like a 7 and neither are notable defenders so it would be a turnstile for points with opposition teams.

Long kick and defence is why Lewis will partner Wakeham as we dont have a better option plus regardless of the commentary on here stats show we win more than we lose when he plays. I dont give a fuck about the haters or the lovers I just want the best chance to win, pretty or ugly either way a win is a win.

Straight18

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We play one half each side of the ruck.
I dont get the big drama if there 6 or 7. Both our halves play first reciever.
Unless there has been a game plan over haul, one half will play left, one right like the last 2 seasons.
The number 6 or 7 on there back doesnt change a thing.

JUNKYARD DOGS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Thats correct he is better suited at 6 which is where he will be, where did I say he was a halfback?. Wakeham is a creative halfback and Coggers best position is also 7 so it was always between them for the spot. We dont have Foran or another better choice 5/8 and you cant put Cogger and Wakeham together as they both play like a 7 and neither are notable defenders so it would be a turnstile for points with opposition teams.

Long kick and defence is why Lewis will partner Wakeham as we dont have a better option plus regardless of the commentary on here stats show we win more than we lose when he plays. I dont give a fuck about the haters or the lovers I just want the best chance to win, pretty or ugly either way a win is a win.
Spot on

CanterburybankstownBD

Kennel Established
Reaction score
95 kgs not enough for you? He certainly looked bigger at the nines and trials in his upper body.Had off season shoulder op so his rehab would have been all about upper body strengthening.
I was 91kg about 2 months ago, does that mean my body is alright for NRL
I've seen photos were he actually looks skinny
I just think he needs to add size and bulk

Big M

Kennel Established
Premium Member
Reaction score
I was 91kg about 2 months ago, does that mean my body is alright for NRL
I've seen photos were he actually looks skinny
I just think he needs to add size and bulk
If it was trained like an NRL player maybe but I doubt the mindset would allow you to get on the field.Can guarantee those photos weren’t recent.I have seen the bloke this year and trust me he is bigger than last year but believe what you feel.

CanterburybankstownBD

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I've got a fat stomach, i'm not very strong, haven't been gym in ages but I weigh 91kg so weight doesnt matter
But I see what you're saying... I don't think he's a bad player, I don't now why everyone is giving him such a hard time.
I remember when he first came into first grade he did some good things

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I think Lewis and Cogger will get the nod from Dean Pay.
Lewis and Cogger is the best option for the first 30 odd minutes when the intense defensive work is being done.
Looking at all the attributes of the halves, they all offer different options.
Wakeham is a running type of player. hes not a creator. Cogger is better creatively. He is a better defender.
Its logical to have Cogger in the run on side and Wakeham to come on after about 25-30 minutes when the
opposition players get tired.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Lewis and Cogger is the best option for the first 30 odd minutes when the intense defensive work is being done.
Wakeham is a running type of player. hes not a creator. Cogger is better creatively. He is a better defender.
Its logical to have Cogger in the run on side and Wakeham to come on after about 25-30 minutes when the
:tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
that is way too logical for pays thinking, who instead kept cogger on the bench for the past part of the season as insurance incase Foran got injured. Think he played 10 mins in 6 games and that was as a hooker.

Like I have stated previously Lewis doesn’t cut it as a half. And there is no difference between 6 and 7 these days. There hasn’t been a genuine 6-7 in the game in the last 15 years. It’s left half and right half.

Lewis might be a decent back rower/lock or utility player. But I can’t see him being an effective half. Doesn’t have any creativity or instinct.

I’ll be the first to eat my words if he proves me wrong. But seen 2-3 decent games out of 20 odd And his best games have been on the back of defence not skill or control.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
that is way too logical for pays thinking, who instead kept cogger on the bench for the past part of the season as insurance incase Foran got injured. Think he played 10 mins in 6 games and that was as a hooker.
Like I have stated previously Lewis doesn’t cut it as a half. And there is no difference between 6 and 7 these days. There hasn’t been a genuine 6-7 in the game in the last 15 years. It’s left half and right half.
Lewis might be a decent back rower/lock or utility player. But I can’t see him being an effective half. Doesn’t have any creativity or instinct.
I’ll be the first to eat my words if he proves me wrong. But seen 2-3 decent games out of 20 odd And his best games have been on the back of defence not skill or control.
Broncos game was on 502 today, maybe you should rewatch that.

previously I said:
Lewis throwing a 10 metre cut out pass to put a winger/centre over for the try. Or a 30 metres cross field kick that lands perfectly on the wingers chest. Or a reverse pass to put a backrower through a gap. Or that he hasn't ever kicked short to force a drop out. Or that he doesn't gain big metres of drop outs, or, or ,or ..... The problem is not that he doesn't do it, it's that he doesn't do it often enough. The stat's don't lie, in 24 games over 2 seasons with a winning rate of 50% (yes, we win more often when he is playing than we do when he isn't), he has 10 try assists, 20 forced drop outs and kicks on average 345 metres per game. It's there, he just needs to produce it every game, otherwise he will find himself out of here.
Go Dogs

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Surely you can’t have Holland and Katoa on the bench against that monster Eels pack.
Pay has Tolman and Elliot to wing the middle third were good lol

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
And why the fuck is he 550k on supercoach. What the fuck is going on !!
Attacking stats. I haven't looked but I think Okunbor gets a decent amount of run metres and tackle breaks. You don't lose points for letting your unmarked winger score a try :P Not every player is suited to fantasy. JAC for e.g. isn't the best in fantasy (him and Okunbor are around the same value).

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Jayden has played 10 NRL games and not even consecutively. Relax c:hearteyes:nts

Brendan7

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't have an issue with the moves.

Katoa has come from a very limited pre season. Pay (righty) doesn't want two hookers coming off interrupted pre seasons. I don't rate Holland but as a utility he's the best we have (not that it's a glowing endorsement). It's probably only for a week or 2 while Katoa plays some games in the NSW Cup to get match fitness.

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
Reluctant to drop Lewis but was wondering how Cogger and Wakeham would pair?

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
And why the fuck is he 550k on supercoach. What the fuck is going on !!
because people underestimate his value to the team, especially in yardage .. he is a blake ferguson type winger not very skilful or athletic, but does a job for his team getting them on the front foot

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Don't have an issue with the moves.
Katoa has come from a very limited pre season. Pay (righty) doesn't want two hookers coming off interrupted pre seasons. I don't rate Holland but as a utility he's the best we have (not that it's a glowing endorsement). It's probably only for a week or 2 while Katoa plays some games in the NSW Cup to get match fitness.
Katoa went OK in the last trail and has had 2 weeks since to tune up some more. I don't see any issue with him playing the majority of the game.

Go Dogs