News Brandon Wakeham will start in the halves for Canterbury in their season opener against Parramatta

craigo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Seems like too many injuries to deal with already. Lewis is that shit fuck him off

Big M

Kennel Established
Premium Member
Reaction score
Surely Holland on the bench is a G up. I dont see any talent in him. He is small and weak. He will not be able to make more then 10 tackles
Guy is 94-95 kgs,he is there as utility as most teams now days have on the bench.Can do 1 thru 7 and back row if needed as well as 9.No brainer to anybody who has a balanced team in mind.

Big M

Kennel Established
Premium Member
Reaction score
He's there because Pay wants a utility and apparently thinks Holland can play hooker lol.
Utility is the word,covering a lot of positions.Most teams play one and is there any one who can do it at the dogs? Coach seems to think not,may only be a temp thing.Good luck to him as it balances the team with a utility.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Utility is the word,covering a lot of positions.Most teams play one and is there any one who can do it at the dogs? Coach seems to think not,may only be a temp thing.Good luck to him as it alances the team with a utility.
He's trying to turn Holland into our own Kurt Mann. I have no issues with a utility on the bench, but I'm definitely concerned if the utility is Holland and we have a clear plan to utilise him at hooker on a regular basis. The quality ball our playmakers are going to get and direction in and around the ruck is going to be non existent.

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Guy is 94-95 kgs,he is there as utility as most teams now days have on the bench.Can do 1 thru 7 and back row if needed as well as 9.No brainer to anybody who has a balanced team in mind.
Holland doesn't have the physical attributes of someone like Reimus, but he has some awareness in his play, and on previous occasions when he has come on as dummy half in the second half he has added energy, given the opposition something else to keep an eye on.

That of itself is not good enough reason for him to be on the bench. But there are two reasons that are good reason, and they really point to his role on the squad. He has gone ok coming on off the bench in the past, and did so in the trial as well, and with DWZ and Meaney coming back from injury, you'd really be taking a gamble if you didn't have some sort of option on the bench in case either of them had a problem. This tells us Holland is a backup/utility player in the squad. He is not on big money, he does have a bit of NRL experience now, he fits the bill until someone better shows up.

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
Ill throw bragging rights up to say I was happy when we signed Britt haha. I liked what I saw at him at the bunnies

We still need that brute force wrecking ball creating offloading machine which I hoped Renouf it rfm could help.

Britt is still very awkward and has a good motor.

Big M

Kennel Established
Premium Member
Reaction score
He's trying to turn Holland into our own Kurt Mann. I have no issues with a utility on the bench, but I'm definitely concerned if the utility is Holland and we have a clear plan to utilise him at hooker on a regular basis. The quality ball our playmakers are going to get and direction in and around the ruck is going to be non existent.
Wait and see,I doubt he will see much time at hooker once Jmk reaches peak fitness as he can do 80 minutes.I see it as insurance against HIA and injury to a back within the game.He has a very good passing game so I would not be worried about the service,especially the more game time and training he gets there.Same as you wouldn’t expect Wakeham to fully guide the team around for the first few games.Coach needs to start showing faith and stop shuffling.IMO...

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
I think Wakeham and Lewis are our best halves combo. So it's good that they're our starting halves.

I've never rated Katoa and it's justified with Holland making the bench over him. I know Holland can cover more positions but still...

Stimson is a second rower. Not sure how he goes in the lock rotation. I had Chris Smith over Stimson but with Smith's injury I thought Stimson would make the side comfortably (in that lock rotation role). I guess Sue is also in contention for that position? I've forgotten about him tbh.

Britt looked really good in the 9's and trials and was more impressive than Stimson which I wasn't expecting. I think Britt takes RFM's spot on the bench (not sure who's spot it'll be when RFM returns, probably Britt's if he's performing). I see Britt more as a Prop even tho I think his preferred position is second row.

Meaney and JMK are massive in's for us. I hope they're clear to play round one.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Wait and see,I doubt he will see much time at hooker once Jmk reaches peak fitness as he can do 80 minutes.I see it as insurance against HIA and injury to a back within the game.He has a very good passing game so I would not be worried about the service,especially the more game time and training he gets there.Same as you wouldn’t expect Wakeham to fully guide the team around for the first few games.Coach needs to start showing faith and stop shuffling.IMO...
If Holland can even provide average service then I'd be amazed, some of the balls i've seen him throw have been horrendous. Unfortunately it is what we're stuck with...too many makeshift players in key roles that just can't deliver what we really need.

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Holland at bench hooker actually goes ok surprisingly .He is not your usual type but brings an unconventional dynamic .
Good stuff with wakeham .
Britty has looked good in trials as i will be first to say i thought he was average signing but has surprised me .
I agree holland is surprisingly good as a bench hooker

Mackdoggies

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Hopefully they find a spot for to’omago he has been the most impressive prospect through the trials!

Pavdogg82

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Yessssss, its happening. At least give Wakeham the first 5 rounds to show us how he directs the side. Lewis needs to trust him and not hog the ball, all the kicking etc. While Hollands defence is suspect, in the last 15 of both halves he reminds me of Josh Reynolds, big energy, will be there to finish off a try if a break is made and will add some zip around the ruck. Give JMK 50-55 mins and Holland 25 (10-15 of each half). Holland supporting a Toomaga or CHN could be a good thing. Bring on the Eels, the upset is on!

Noeasyday

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Agree John Asiata Could be a handy utility. Off contract next season. Good player, a move to Sydney outside his comfort zone, plenty of upside with him
He's actually from Penrith, might want to move closer to home.

Horse

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Happy with these selections.

Disappointed that Cogger didn’t step up and cement his spot in the trials but we’ll have a look at what Wakeham can do in his place.

Holland isn’t anywhere near as bad at hooker as what the usual whingers are claiming. Better yet, he fills a gap should the dreaded HIA strike someone in our backline.

Bring on Round 1. Dogs by 8

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Yessssss, its happening. At least give Wakeham the first 5 rounds to show us how he directs the side. Lewis needs to trust him and not hog the ball, all the kicking etc. While Hollands defence is suspect, in the last 15 of both halves he reminds me of Josh Reynolds, big energy, will be there to finish off a try if a break is made and will add some zip around the ruck. Give JMK 50-55 mins and Holland 25 (10-15 of each half). Holland supporting a Toomaga or CHN could be a good thing. Bring on the Eels, the upset is on!
Except we're wasting two changes if we utilise our hookers like that. You pull you starting middle off and then put them back on and that's all your changes gone with nothing spare to cover for injury or tactical changes.

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Dutchie was good out of hooker last season, and can cover many other positions.
I’m happy to go with this until proved otherwise.

Novocastrian

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He doesnt look 94-95kgs. He is a speed bump in defence and not an x factor type player that will break a game open.
Im sure hes a good bloke but in all honesty I believe he belongs back at Singleton Greyhounds. Good on him for cracking the NRL.

Novocastrian

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Except we're wasting two changes if we utilise our hookers like that. You pull you starting middle off and then put them back on and that's all your changes gone with nothing spare to cover for injury or tactical changes.
Exactly. And Pay will probably save him and only use him for last 10 minuets of the game and itll be a waste of interchange when we could of had another forward rotation

Last edited:

2ndphase

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I think everyone is reading it wrong.
How im reading it is that Holland will only be on the bench if JMK doesn't pass his fitness with Katoa starting.
Anyway how do we even know that this is even legit with Wakeham playing which i hope he is right.
We will find out on Tuesday i suppose.