Canterbury close in on front-of-jersey sponsor in time for Eel battle

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
There were jokes flying around at the NRL season launch about how the Canterbury jersey was missing a major front-of-jersey sponsor.

"'It looks like one of those supporter jerseys that have come straight from the rack at Best & Less','' one of the players quipped.

Dallin Watene-Zelezniak makes a break for the Bulldogs.CREDIT:

The Bulldogs remain the only club without a major backer just six days out from their opening-round blockbuster against bitter rivals Parramatta.

The proud club lost long-term backers Jaycar after the Mad Monday fiasco at the end of 2018, then last year's sponsor Kia decided to remain on board but as a principal community partner.

National mineral drilling contractor DDH1 Drilling was used during the two-day Nines carnival, but Dogs officials are confident a front-of-jersey sponsor will be nailed down by the time the players run on to Bankwest Stadium against the Eels.

While a new front-of-jersey sponsor will prove a huge financial boost for the Dogs, skipper Josh Jackson is just as excited about what awaits the club on the field.

The Canterbury captain is so convinced the Bulldogs are on the brink of premiership success, it was the simple reason he committed to the club for three more years before Christmas.

Jackson's optimism has not been shared by plenty of experts nor bookies who have the Bulldogs $5 second favourite to collect the wooden spoon - but the workhorse forward could not care less.

"I can see where we're going, we have a heap of young guys and I want to be a part of it when we're travelling well and successful, and that's not far away,'' Jackson said.

"I want to win a comp with the Bulldogs.

"And if I was to leave, which was never a consideration, and had won a comp with another team, I don't think it would have felt the same for me as it would if I did it for the Bulldogs.

"I've been here such a long time. I'm a bit old school and I was brought up to be loyal.

"But there's a really good energy and positivity about this place. A lot of our younger guys have now played 30, 40 and 50 NRL games, and that's when you start playing good consistent footy. We just need a good start.''

Over the past seven years, the Dogs have lost six of their first-round games.

While they have finished strongly the past two years for coach Dean Pay, the Dogs have been ordinary with their starts.

"And we need to fix that,'' Jackson said.

Jackson said the amount of time on the road in recent weeks, which started in Perth and took in Papua New Guinea and Port Macquarie, had helped the team forge a closer bond.

For off-contract Pay, his main selection headache remains whether to partner Lachlan Lewis with cheeky halfback Brandon Wakeham or the reliable Jack Cogger in the halves.

Meanwhile, South Sydney will hold it's annual general meeting on Sunday with Nick Pappas expected to be re-elected as chairman unopposed.

Pappas will continue in his role for another two years, ending any speculation of him pushing to gain a spot on the ARL Commission.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/ca...r-in-time-for-eel-battle-20200306-p547on.html

Last edited by a moderator:

Precise

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Great news and well done to the club if they have got a deal done. The jersey really does look shocking without a sponsor.
I have no confidence in this club to not have it looking even worse than it currently does with blaring yellow or red logo again.

Bu Bu Bu KIA have to have it RED it's their logo! Nek minute Broncos KIA is colour matched.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I have no confidence in this club to not have it looking even worse than it currently does with blaring yellow or red logo again.

Bu Bu Bu KIA have to have it RED it's their logo! Nek minute Broncos KIA is colour matched.
Hopefully it’s a blue or black logo to begin with so we avoid having any issues.

Sleeky

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score

Exactly what I thought! Lol we got neutered

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
The Best & Less one does actually look better then the Classic one at the minute....
4A752309-B38D-47F8-803B-79FB4FF47665.jpeg

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score

It may not be that simple and doesn't necessarily suggest negligence of the club (although with Raelene, highly possible).
Every major company has a monochrome version of their logo in their style guide.
Obviously on a white background like ours KIA would've wanted their primary logo (red).
For the Ponies jersey they might've agreed that black has more cut-through than red (and they may have even paid less for this outcome).
It's the same as their court sponsorship at the Australian Open tennis - previously they've used the red logo on centre court and the black logo on the outside courts (not the same exposure, lower cost).
This year they used black on centre court as well.
It's a corporate decision that would've been agreed by both parties.

Heckler

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
"'It looks like one of those supporter jerseys that have come straight from the rack at Best & Less','' one of the players quipped.

Lol

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Looks shit house... Prefer no sponsor than this ugly thing
They are both shit house but at least Best & Less can get the shoulders and vee finished. Cannot wait till we get rid of Classic.

Heckler

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Where was this article published?

TABOO

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

Lol
I'd really love to know if this is true and who said it.

I do agree it looks cheap and shit without a sponsor, it's very unprofessional of a player to publicly comment like that.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
It's Petbarn.

TABOO

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
But that said, I am very pleased to hear them say that the sponsorship should be sorted before they run out on Thursday. That will be a great outcome for mine

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Hopefully it's a decent sponsor that sticks around for a while.

Some of the sponsors other clubs have are just crap, the sharks and Ace Gutters for example lol.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
They are both shit house but at least Best & Less can get the shoulders and vee finished. Cannot wait till we get rid of Classic.
It's been a few years since I've wanted to buy a jersey. They're just not designed in a great range of shapes. I either have to opt for one that is super tight around the chest and stomach that is reasonable in length, or a jersey that fits upstairs but hangs down below my nuts on a hot day when they're really dangling. I have a reasonably big build for my height, but it's not like I'm a bodybuilder or anything. There's no in between.

Considering the price, I'd really like to have something available that actually fits comfortably. This has probably been an issue with jersey design for 10-12 years.