Opinion The R Smith Centre move/experiment

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
It's the Pay way
It’s so confusing. He is criticised for not thinking outside the box, being too safe and not taking risks but when he does he is still criticised haha

Phalangist

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I find Harper a very boring centre.

He isn’t exciting to watch at all

while teams like the sharks have flair and X factor

we have Harper coming through lol

run1500

Waterboy
Reaction score
I find Harper a very boring centre.

He isn’t exciting to watch at all

while teams like the sharks have flair and X factor

we have Harper coming through lol
Harper may not be all 'flashy' but he gets the work done. I think he flies under the radar a little because of this but his stats are good. He's strong in both defense and attack and is deceivingly quick.

Phalangist

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Harper may not be all 'flashy' but he gets the work done. I think he flies under the radar a little because of this but his stats are good. He's strong in both defense and attack and is deceivingly quick.

Yes I know he gets the work done BUT this is exactly the type of players that have been at the club for the past 15 years. I expect more from a powerhouse club!

a player that gets the work done but has no flair doesn’t fit into my first grade team

run1500

Waterboy
Reaction score
Yes I know he gets the work done BUT this is exactly the type of players that have been at the club for the past 15 years. I expect more from a powerhouse club!

a player that gets the work done but has no flair doesn’t fit into my first grade team
Il have to disagree with you on that :grinning:. I said flashy not flare. He gets penalties, one on one strips and can run the ball.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
The Cap doesn't allow for 13, much less 17, players with "flare". Some of them have to be quality NRL level players on appropriate contracts. Some have to be "developing" players that are on contracts being paid less than their current market value. Some have to be senior players, that are in their prime, with contracts accordingly valued. Some are guns, game breakers, players that can win you games, turn nothing into something (the "flairs") and they are most often on the highest contract values.

What we were missing last year and the year before were the gun players, the game breakers, because we simply couldn't afford them. This year we are still Cap constrained, so complaining that this and that player doesn't have "flair" is irrelevant. They are what we have unless/until we score another DWZ type signing mid season, which we can fit. What we do need this year is a couple of our "developing" players from last year to step up a level. And that is what makes this year so interesting for me, because if they don't they will not be renewed as we will need the Cap space next year.

Go Dogs

run1500

Waterboy
Reaction score

End of the day. These boys get damned no matter what they do. Harper was talked about like Averillo is last year. Harper must have 'some flair' or the goods to be named as the centre of the nsw cup last year. Okunbor does some bloody great work but gets hammered when something goes wrong. Averillo looks great but poor kid will get slammed as soon as he does something people dont like. He is flashy but needs more bulk for first grade in my opinion. Being flashy only works when you have the work horses doing their job.

Phalangist

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
The Cap doesn't allow for 13, much less 17, players with "flare". Some of them have to be quality NRL level players on appropriate contracts. Some have to be "developing" players that are on contracts being paid less than their current market value. Some have to be senior players, that are in their prime, with contracts accordingly valued. Some are guns, game breakers, players that can win you games, turn nothing into something (the "flairs") and they are most often on the highest contract values.

What we were missing last year and the year before were the gun players, the game breakers, because we simply couldn't afford them. This year we are still Cap constrained, so complaining that this and that player doesn't have "flair" is irrelevant. They are what we have unless/until we score another DWZ type signing mid season, which we can fit. What we do need this year is a couple of our "developing" players from last year to step up a level. And that is what makes this year so interesting for me, because if they don't they will not be renewed as we will need the Cap space next year.

Go Dogs
yes but we seem to always have way too many workers solid outside backs like Sam perrett for example.

And if a player like Harper plays first grade and is solid without being exciting fans will become attached to him and not want to move him on.

good luck to the kid I hope he plays well,I’m not saying I hate him but I would rather a centre with more speed,a step maybe more explosive power

Last edited:

Phalangist

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
End of the day. These boys get damned no matter what they do. Harper was talked about like Averillo is last year. Harper must have 'some flair' or the goods to be named as the centre of the nsw cup last year. Okunbor does some bloody great work but gets hammered when something goes wrong. Averillo looks great but poor kid will get slammed as soon as he does something people dont like. He is flashy but needs more bulk for first grade in my opinion. Being flashy only works when you have the work horses doing their job.

Do you really want the work horses being an outside back? Lol

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
In other news Roosters about to nab J Moz

What Nick wants Nick gets

#whatcap

The DoggFather

OG DF
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Yeah mad . The year hasn’t even stated and it’s already been written off .. lol
I've written off every year since 2013, it doesn't get my hopes up plus when we actually win a game or to it's more exciting lol

Doesn't make me less of a fan if you're trying to go down the holier-than-thou route....

2021 will be the first year I don't write off the with the right recruitment, of course.

bricktamland

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I
I've written off every year since 2013, it doesn't get my hopes up plus when we actually win a game or to it's more exciting lol

Doesn't make me less of a fan if you're trying to go down the holier-than-thou route....

2021 will be the first year I don't write off the with the right recruitment, of course.
understand your logic.. but I’m optimistic I know we won’t win Comp but I’m tipping us to do better then last year , our teams improved . So the mentality of winning should be tok

too*

finchie

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
It was always going to fail
Moving your best winger to left centre
The likes of Joey manu, xeri, James Roberts, waqa blake will make reimis look silly especially with that nuptie no clue okinbur outside of him

The DoggFather

OG DF
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
I

understand your logic.. but I’m optimistic I know we won’t win Comp but I’m tipping us to do better then last year , our teams improved . So the mentality of winning should be tok

too*
All good my bro. Not going to bag someone because they are optimistic.

If we start this year like we ended last year we may be in the mix for a spot in the bottom half of the 8.