Coronavirus.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
So in summary you missed out on toilet paper? In the wild the slow and weak get eaten up.. you gotta be a bit quicker bro.

The other night the lady at Coles tried to trick me. She was putting out a trolley of toilet paper. She said tomorrow it will be half price ... I grabbed plenty and said thanks but I'll pay full price there will be none tomorrow.. guess what.... none the next day... It was a trap for young players.. but I struck whilst the irons hot.
I see all the people that ran out and bought heaps of toilet paper as idiots fooled by an internet post.
Too bad for average Joe who wants a four pack for next week.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
I have IBS, i absolutely smash through toilet paper ffs. Luckily I spotted an old lady with a pack of Toilet paper and I could easily overpower her and steal it.

MatstaDogg

The Bearded Baker
Premium Member
Reaction score
I heard something earlier that there is supposedly a second strain now of the Caronavirus going around.

Could just be more MSM fear mongering, but that's what they were reporting.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
The current projections are that 40-70% of the population will get the virus over the next 18 months.

It's estimated that in Australia, 50,000-250,000 will die from the virus. The main problem will be the economic damage it causes globally.

That's not MSM stuff BTW. That's based on research carried out on the current spread of the virus.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
The current projections are that 40-70% of the population will get the virus over the next 18 months.

It's estimated that in Australia, 50,000-250,000 will die from the virus. The main problem will be the economic damage it causes globally.

That's not MSM stuff BTW. That's based on research carried out on the current spread of the virus.
Thanks bro, never leaving the house again

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score

I had a chat with a very respected doctor yesterday and he said similar along those lines.
He said it will get much worse and he was pretty concerned

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Honestly though, there's important factors to consider:

- The projections are based on averages. When it comes to medical in China vs medical in Australia, we're obviously going to be better off. But if the cases become 20% of the population then it's going to be an attrition issue. No matter how good our hospital care is, we'll still struggle

- the virus doesn't have a high kill rate. It's 2% average, or 6% if you compare recovered cases vs deaths. Realistically neither are accurate. The kill rate is probably 3% but based on our hospital system the kill rate in Australia will probably be about 1%

- we have already found a drug to counter the virus. This isn't a vaccine though but it's a drug that's effective at weakening the virus. But it hasn't been developed yet and mass production relies on pharmaceutical companies

So overall I think Australia will be fine as far as health goes. Our economy on the other hand is going to struggle really badly. The reserve bank just massively dropped the interest rate down to 0.5% in an attempt to stop us from going into a recession. This resulted in the Australian dollar going from 0.65 to 0.66 in comparison to the US dollar. For comparison, this time last year we were at 0.73. Our dollar is not likely to recover and it's in for a massive drop. It's already at an 11 year low but economists are saying that it'll only get worse

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Honestly though, there's important factors to consider:

- The projections are based on averages. When it comes to medical in China vs medical in Australia, we're obviously going to be better off. But if the cases become 20% of the population then it's going to be an attrition issue. No matter how good our hospital care is, we'll still struggle

- the virus doesn't have a high kill rate. It's 2% average, or 6% if you compare recovered cases vs deaths. Realistically neither are accurate. The kill rate is probably 3% but based on our hospital system the kill rate in Australia will probably be about 1%

- we have already found a drug to counter the virus. This isn't a vaccine though but it's a drug that's effective at weakening the virus. But it hasn't been developed yet and mass production relies on pharmaceutical companies

So overall I think Australia will be fine as far as health goes. Our economy on the other hand is going to struggle really badly. The reserve bank just massively dropped the interest rate down to 0.5% in an attempt to stop us from going into a recession. This resulted in the Australian dollar going from 0.65 to 0.66 in comparison to the US dollar. For comparison, this time last year we were at 0.73. Our dollar is not likely to recover and it's in for a massive drop. It's already at an 11 year low but economists are saying that it'll only get worse
You’d think the pharmaceutical companies would be falling over each other to produce it with people in this panicked state. Don’t get me started on the aussie dollar :rage:

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
You’d think the pharmaceutical companies would be falling over each other to produce it with people in this panicked state. Don’t get me started on the aussie dollar :rage:
They certainly will soon.

When SARS outbreak happened there was 30 pharmaceutical companies who each spent over $10 million developing a vaccine thinking that it would make a mint. Then the virus died back. Now those same companies are saying, "I'm not going to waste money developing a vaccine unless I know it's actually an issue"

The main problem now is that they know it's an issue but also know that it can be treated with drugs. So they'll develop a treatment first then a vaccine and they'll make a decent amount of money.

Blue_boost

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
They certainly will soon.

When SARS outbreak happened there was 30 pharmaceutical companies who each spent over $10 million developing a vaccine thinking that it would make a mint. Then the virus died back. Now those same companies are saying, "I'm not going to waste money developing a vaccine unless I know it's actually an issue"

The main problem now is that they know it's an issue but also know that it can be treated with drugs. So they'll develop a treatment first then a vaccine and they'll make a decent amount of money.
On one hand the government says we need to treat it as a pandemic, to get ready for the worst, then on the other hand we ha E people saying don't be silly buying toilet paper or hand sanitiser. Which is it?

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
On one hand the government says we need to treat it as a pandemic, to get ready for the worst, then on the other hand we ha E people saying don't be silly buying toilet paper or hand sanitiser. Which is it?
Both. Prepare for a pandemic because that is now unavoidable, but also don't panic.

A pandemic purely means that it easily passes from one person to another in a majority of countries. We're almost at that stage.

That doesn't mean we should panic. The virus is unlikely to slow down toilet paper production in Australia.

Blue_boost

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I called on a home doctor tonight. I thought to get ahead of the curve and get a prescription of anti biotics ahead of corona virus.

The doctors comes with a face mask on. He checks my throat and says nah your throats alright. I told him another doctor prescribed anti biotics bit I lost the script. He says he don't think I need it. I said well take off the mask if your so confident. He said it was a precaution. I said the anti biotics are my precaution. He writes the script .

With my anti biotics and reems of toilet paper am I ready?

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
I called on a home doctor tonight. I thought to get ahead of the curve and get a prescription of anti biotics ahead of corona virus.

The doctors comes with a face mask on. He checks my throat and says nah your throats alright. I told him another doctor prescribed anti biotics bit I lost the script. He says he don't think I need it. I said well take off the mask if your so confident. He said it was a precaution. I said the anti biotics are my precaution. He writes the script .

With my anti biotics and reems of toilet paper am I ready?
Nope. Antibiotics do nothing against Coronavirus, or any virus. Literally, they have no effect on it.

But if you take antibiotics then you have a chance of enhancing any bad bacteria you already have.

Basically put. Taking anti-biotics when you have a virus is like if your home is being invaded by terrorists so you light a fire in your bedroom. It won't stop the terrorists but it could cause other problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.