Official Foran concedes he's one more serious injury from retirement

DoggyStyla

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Kieran Foran has been forced to confront his footballing mortality as he works hard to fast-track his return from shoulder surgery.

He is doing everything he can rehabbing his left shoulder – after surgery in November – and the rest of his body to make sure that another injury doesn't spell the end of his career.

The Bulldogs veteran hasn't been on the field much over the past two years due to serious toe and then syndesmosis injuries. He has played 26 games in two seasons.

"I'm hopeful this is it for me and I can have some injury free seasons and hit some really good form," Foran said at the Bulldogs' 2020 season launch this week.

"Look, I'm not naive to think that it's a possibility that if I get another bad injury ... I think if that was the case maybe it's my body telling me it's time."

But for the moment he is throwing everything he has into returning to Dean Pay's side.

"I'm just trying to get a bit of strength back in the shoulder, have started some light pulling weights and trying to get some bulk through the shoulder.

"I am not on the field yet – still contained inside," Foran said.

But he is looking at a seven-month return rather than the initial forecast of 9-10 months. That would bring him back on to the field in June.

"That is sort of when I am looking. I would love to get back as quick as I can but I have to make sure I do it properly and get it right.

"But I am really eager to get back on the field with the boys and contribute this year. I have missed a lot of footy and that burns me."

It's not only messing with his mind – it's clouding his future.

"I am in the last year of a contract but I can’t go to the club and say 'Do you want to keep me?

"I completely respect the club’s position. They are going to say 'We want to wait to see how your body holds up'. I completely respect that.

"All I can focus on at the moment is working as hard as I can around the boys, meeting a good example, doing everything I can to get back on the field this year.

"Hopefully once I get back I can have a bit contribution to how we go. Hopefully if I do that the Dogs turn around and (come to the table)."

Foran not only wants to make it back to the NRL, he also wants to hold his place in the Kiwis side.

But why would someone who has won a premiership (Manly 2011), played in a World Cup final (2013) and won the Four Nations Cup (2015) want to push his body to breaking point?

"I guess what is keeping me going is I am 29. If I was 34 going through these injuries I would probably say to myself 'you know what, your best footy is probably done and it is time to move on'," Foran said.

"As a five-eighth, at 29, you feel like you are coming into your best years. That is what I feel like. I feel like the next three to four years will be my best yet providing my body can stay on the field each week.

"The fact that when I am on the field I feel like I am still playing my best footy.

"That is the real unfortunate thing of what I have been through in three years. When I have been on the field with the boys I feel like I have plenty in the tank. My body has just been really unlucky.

"I had brilliant years at Manly but I compare the player I was a Manly to the player I am at the Bulldogs and I am a far better player at the Dogs than I was at Manly.

"I was a young kid then and my game was nowhere near as all-rounded as it has been the last few years. I feel I can go another level on that. That is what keeps me going – the internal belief that I still believe I can get there."

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
His body has been telling him to retire for 2 years but he’s not listening.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
He should have already retired.

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
I don't care if he plays or not after this season as long as he's not signed to the Bulldogs.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Journos trolling us with these articles lol

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yeah... Nahhh.. I can't actually even say, thanks for your service...

Maybe, thanks for your amazing rehabbing...

Snowmann

Party Rocker
Reaction score
Just say the word boys, my 6 year old plays for Asquith Magpies and Foz is actually supporting our club this season while he rehabs, spoke to him 2 weeks ago and seems pretty confident about coming back this season. But just say the word and I’ll get our 2 frontrowers to snap his legs.

NPC83

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
What a player he would have been for us if his body held up... he makes the guys around him so much better... but for $1m+ a year playing less than half the season... crippled us...

Novocastrian

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If he signed on for cheap maybe not so bad. Thats if for some miracle he didn’t get any more serious injuries. Unless we can get Munster it would be handy having someone of his experience around the team.
I dont have high hopes that Lewis or Cogger will eventuate into anything spectacular.
Wakeham partnered with Foran for second half of year might be our best combo we have had in a few years

NPC83

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
T
If he signed on for cheap maybe not so bad. Thats if for some miracle he didn’t get any more serious injuries. Unless we can get Munster it would be handy having someone of his experience around the team.
I dont have high hopes that Lewis or Cogger will eventuate into anything spectacular.
Wakeham partnered with Foran for second half of year might be our best combo we have had in a few years
Thats what Wakeham needs an experienced half next to him and I reckon he’s good to go. We just can’t rely on Forans body....

The_Chimpster

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
"I had brilliant years at Manly but I compare the player I was a Manly to the player I am at the Bulldogs and I am a far better player at the Dogs than I was at Manly.
He could goose-step, shimmy, set up and score some amazing tries at manly.

Don't see him doing half of that with us, if he trys a shimmy now his leg will break off

Last edited:

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I've got sympathy for him. He's played some good games for us. But like everyone knows he's had some unlucky injuries. If he gets re-signed cheaply I have no issues with keeping him. But if it comes down to having the money for one of our young halves that is starting to dominate or a 29yo that keeps suffering from unfortunate injuries, I'll take the youngster any day.

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Get everyone's distaste towards his situation as we were expecting big things from him. Without doubt he was also.

Honest question to those out there. At the end of the year what 5/8s are out there to buy? Would they be an upgrade on Foran when he's fit?

Yes yes yes. The problem is that he's NEVER fit, but I'm honestly asked if we all expect to get someone better when he leaves. Or do you all think our current halves are the answer to bringing back competitiveness to our club?

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Get everyone's distaste towards his situation as we were expecting big things from him. Without doubt he was also.

Honest question to those out there. At the end of the year what 5/8s are out there to buy? Would they be an upgrade on Foran when he's fit?

Yes yes yes. The problem is that he's NEVER fit, but I'm honestly asked if we all expect to get someone better when he leaves. Or do you all think our current halves are the answer to bringing back competitiveness to our club?
If Foran comes back mid year and gets to the end of the season with out a major injury I wouldn’t be against offering him a small deal ($200k-$300k) for next year. The biggest issue with him currently is his huge deal that soaks up more then 10% of the cap and we haven’t gotten anywhere close to value for money.

When he’s fit he’s the best half we have and getting him on a cheap deal won’t hurt us. The only major problem I see with keeping him is having such a disjointed halves combo if he can’t string regular games together.

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
If Foran comes back mid year and gets to the end of the season with out a major injury I wouldn’t be against offering him a small deal ($200k-$300k) for next year. The biggest issue with him currently is his huge deal that soaks up more then 10% of the cap and we haven’t gotten anywhere close to value for money.

When he’s fit he’s the best half we have and getting him on a cheap deal won’t hurt us. The only major problem I see with keeping him is having such a disjointed halves combo if he can’t string regular games together.
THat's my way of thinking also. If he weren't on so so much then I don't think he'd be getting the hassle he does. Obviously if we could buy a top 5/8 in his place it's the best option, I just don't know of anyone.

If he proves his fitness and plays a large part this year, then I say sign him up for a couple of years.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score

Averillo plays 6 with Wakeham at 7 and we win the treble, obviously.