News Parramatta to sell out NRL season opener against Canterbury

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
In what would be a historic celebration to kick-start the 2020 NRL season, Parramatta’s Bankwest Stadium is tracking for a sell-out which would double as the largest round one home crowd in the Eels’ 73-year history.

And it could ensure at least three sell-out matches for rugby league’s opening round.

The previous biggest round one crowd for an Eels home game — excluding double-headers in 1999-01 and 2004 at ANZ Stadium – was 25,114 against North Sydney in 1997.

Parramatta are expecting a big turnout at Bankwest Stadium. Photo: Jonathan Ng

This year’s opening round match game between Parramatta and old rivals Canterbury is certain to eclipse that 1997 crowd figure and then become a sellout close to kick off.

It would then become the largest round one home crowd for Parramatta since the club was formed back in 1947. The have already been about 20,000 tickets sold for the Eels-Bulldogs match despite it being played in the family unfriendly Thursday night timeslot.

Premium and platinum seats have sold out and there are only limited tickets available in gold and silver seats. Parramatta will release a new batch of general admission tickets from Thursday.

With a week remaining before kick-off and the build-up having yet to begin, officials are certain the crowd will reach the high 20,000s if not spill over into a 30,000 sell out.

It would be a wonderful start to the season for the clubs, league-starved fans and the NRL, still stinging from heavy criticism over its television advertisement campaign.

Tickets are still available and a sellout would largely depend on how many Parramatta members attend.

Townsville will come alive for the Cowboys’ season opener.

North Queensland’s match with Brisbane at the new $300 million North Queensland Stadium will be played before a capacity 25,000 crowd while Brookvale Oval will be full for Manly’s round one match against Melbourne.

St George Illawarra’s game against Wests Tigers on Sunday night in Wollongong should also attract a strong attendance, as will the match at the foot of the mountains on Saturday night between Penrith and the Sydney Roosters.

A 30,000 crowd at Bankwest Stadium would be the third largest Thursday night crowd for a Sydney match in rugby league history. This does not include Anzac Day games which fell on Thursday.

The Sydney Thursday night record belongs to a match between Sydney Roosters and Souths when 35,952 attended a round one game in 2013 at Allianz Stadium. Those same two teams played before a Thursday night crowd of 32,481 fans during the final round of 2014.

The largest ever Thursday evening crowd – 44,015 – watched Brisbane play Melbourne at Suncorp Stadium in round 26, 2015.

A fired-up crowd could be just what Parramatta need. Photo: AAP Image/Dean Lewins

“It will be a great occasion for both sets of fans – get out there and support both teams,” said Bulldogs coach Dean Pay said. “I’m sure it will be a great game.

“I’m sure everyone is looking forward to the start of the season. And there is no better way to start it than Canterbury playing Parramatta. The rivalry started way before I played at Canterbury but it has carried on through the years.”

Parramatta and the NRL hope the game will be hyped up through the media over the next week to further build interest. The long-term weather forecast for Thursday week is fine with a chance of a light shower.

Meanwhile Lottoland’s main grandstand, Jane Try Stand, has been sold out for the entire 2020 season, meaning the stand will be full for all of Manly’s 10 home games.

And only a few hundred reserved seats remain in the adjacent Ken Arthurson Stand and Fulton-Menzies Stand for this season.

“At the current rate of membership enquiry and sign up, we expect the Ken Arthurson and Fulton-Menzies Stands to also sell out to members,’’ said Manly CEO Stephen Humphreys.

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...y/news-story/ae9126be9729a4afde3c4e4e572eb8ad

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
It already seems like a biggish NRL crowd with 20,000 tickets sold. It seems more common these days for the ticket sellers to place the bulk of fans on one side of the field to make the crowd look bigger on TV.

rainman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I have a horrible feeling we are going to get worked over

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
It doesnt happen often but at the moment Parramatta are clearly doing better than us off the field..

Will look forward to seeing them choke on the field as usual..

gbrussell

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
With a potential sell out crowd my biggest fear is the game will be refereed by our nemesis G Sutton.

bricktamland

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I sense an ambush by us, typical nrl everyone talkint chokeamatta up again and not saying a word about us, I’m confident we can win

berries1935

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bankwest sold out sounds exciting. Good night to make a statement

berries1935

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Agree will be like early last year, competitive for 15 mins then the flood gates shall open
Parramatta are a team that you need hold off the first 20-30 mins and they get frustrated. We do that we can win. If they get away early well it could be like their win against Brisbane in the semi last year

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
We're going to fuck them. Bend them over and fuck them. So hard that they'll be bleeding for weeks. The incred, sheep shagging, anal licking *****. Fuck Parramatta and everything connected to them. Shit club. Worse supporters. Fuck them.