News Pleasing performance but plenty to work on: Pay

vegny

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The positive points out of that game are no injury, we defended very well, 2 tries a piece against team that made GF and we still have players like dwz, jmk and rfm to join the team. Individually some players put in decent performance.

The main concern is we went through 70 minutes of footy without being able to score point. This was in a trial when opps defence was not that tight + they meant to be rusty and make lots of errors. Could be wrong but may be fitness issue that made us made more errors and gave more penalties away.

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I reckon CHN found it hard to switch on, a week ago he was in the AS game, after a week in camp. Loads of hype around that game, CHN starred in a video in the lead up. He comes back to a trial match in Port Mac. He seemed to be trying to get himself going in the second half, a couple times he came out of the defensive line like a missile and hit a bloke just getting the ball.

I tip he'll be more switched on come round 1.

CanterburybankstownBD

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Lack of creativity is a real concern...our outside backs are pedestrian....
Hopoate comes back to centre, he’s good & reliable mostly
Averillo looks like he has that X factor about him... yet to see it but I get the feeling he can find a break or pounce on a kick. We need that not necessarily a scorer but just that someone who sparks our attack even if it’s just a little.

But I like Meaney as a player.
I’m not sure about Reimis smith at centre

albatross

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just watched the replay back (I didn't get to catch the game live).

I think people were very harsh today in their criticism.

We're vsing a top four NRL team and stayed competitive throughout (but it is their first trial and they didn't bring a competitive side to the 9's).

If it was a NRL game we would of taken the two at least two times (which would of been enough to win the game, but changing the past or present changes the future not necessarily in a positive way).

We're also missing DWZ (massive), Meaney and JMK who would be in our starting 13.

The biggest thing honestly was the handling errors.

If I had to blame a player today it would have to be one that made an error (or gave away penalties), or multiple errors, e.g. CHN. There were probably others but CHN did it multiple times in our own half (he also was lazy at marker for the Wighton try, pretty sure after his error, one of our defenders should of wrapped the ball up too to prevent the offload, CHN was also somewhat at fault for Williams try). If I'm being honest CHN was probably our worst player on the field today (and showed us why he was dropped last year, for performances like that).

We're an effort team that's going to win games in the grind (not sustainable or reliable).

We don't have ANY game breakers in the side.

I don't think we can ask for much more than what we got today (obviously we need to reduce the handling errors but that doesn't need to be said).
Although Averillo is very green, he is our most likely potential game breaker. He needs to put on some size ideally for NRL but he does everything with confidence and speed, and skill by the looks of it. I hope he gets a go closer to the middle, running off RT, RFM and Britt. I liked that Jacko emphasised his trial form in his post-match interview. If he gets picked on the wing (it's between him and Okunbor probably), he should swap positions with at times DWZ during games.

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
It's not the end of the world we didn't win but it would have been nice to go into the season with 2 trial wins and the game yesterday was very winnable, every win gives confidence.

There is alot to work on but I wouldn't have expected Pay to say that after a full off season and only 3 new recruits.

Will reserve judgement until I see who Pay picks round 1 and how they play.

Berries

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
I agree with most of this mate.
If you didn’t watch the game and read the comments here from the usual whingers and armchair coaches you’d think we lost by 80 against the under 12’s Port Macquarie sharks
We have been grinding away for five years now scoring under 20 a game and it gets us no where

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
We have been grinding away for five years now scoring under 20 a game and it gets us no where
And there’s very clear reasons for that which we are thankfully in the final year of digging ourselves out of...

Dogtime

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
Based on 2 trials, our attack is as useless as tits on a bull when both Lewis and Cogger start the match. There was not much 2nd phase play. Hopefully he gets it right for Rd1. Our defense is great but we can't rely on defense for 26rds.
Unbelievable. Our halves will go well working off the back of quick play the balls from our forwards bending the line and creating space. Our attack will improve with confidence and Im particularly looking forward to our improved short kicking game showing the benefits of Shiftys input in the off season. Dont sell us short, we are not a 1 trick pony. We didnt want to show Parra all our moves 2 weeks before our blockbuster 2020 season opener.

Moey

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Unbelievable. Our halves will go well working off the back of quick play the balls from our forwards bending the line and creating space. Our attack will improve with confidence and Im particularly looking forward to our improved short kicking game showing the benefits of Shiftys input in the off season. Dont sell us short, we are not a 1 trick pony. We didnt want to show Parra all our moves 2 weeks before our blockbuster 2020 season opener.
Lol

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I thought that was a pretty solid hit out. Would have been better if we got the win, but Canberra are a quality side, and we still had a lot of players missing through injury in, DWZ, RFM, Foran, Meaney and JMK.
I loved the 2 gang tackles that dragged a Canberra player over the sideline, that was particularly pleasing for me.
Theres still two weeks to go, so I'm sure we still have some improvement in us.

habs

xdf
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
Trial was a bit lame but if we can get dwz fit, and sort out our halves we will win more games than last year.

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Our attack would put Valium to sleep
Valium is inert, it's already asleep, and as a psychotropic it is designed to put people asleep. A better analogy would be "Our attack would put a seven shot espresso to sleep", because it would be very hard to cause someone who has just had a seven shot espresso to sleep.

Straight18

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I called for wakeham averillo halfs combination for 12 months now.
Its still our best option. Cogger and lewis are very ordinary.
Also i was hard on the signing of young Bailey odi from parra, but the 15 mins he had in trial impressed me more than lewis or cogger ever have, has a step and running game for a start. Our halves are too slow, ordinary kicking games, no footwork or running games, nothing.
If dean cannot see this where fucked imo.

Horse

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
I called for wakeham averillo halfs combination for 12 months now.
Its still our best option. Cogger and lewis are very ordinary.
Also i was hard on the signing of young Bailey odi from parra, but the 15 mins he had in trial impressed me more than lewis or cogger ever have, has a step and running game for a start. Our halves are too slow, ordinary kicking games, no footwork or running games, nothing.
If dean cannot see this where fucked imo.
Rum tins on an early Wednesday arvo? Averillo and Wakeham are both promising talents, but to pair them up in the halves for Round 1 would be negligent.

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Rum tins on an early Wednesday arvo? Averillo and Wakeham are both promising talents, but to pair them up in the halves for Round 1 would be negligent.
A halves combination with 3 first grade games between them, what could go wrong?

Straight18

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Whats the difference between winning 9 games or 6.
Pay as our coach still is negligent, and watching them walk off to another club is negligent.
Playing 2 shit halfs for another season when we have 2 young ones already better than them 2 is also negligent.