News Canterbury Bulldogs 2020 NRL preview: Team list, burning questions

Dogtime

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
Off-contract 2020: Jack Cogger, Adam Elliott, Raymond Faitala-Mariner, Kieran Foran, Morgan Harper, Kerrod Holland, Marcelo Montoya, Sauaso Sue, Isaiah Tass, Aiden Tolman, Brandon Wakeham

There's a few coming off. Who is going to stay? Who do we want to stay?? Who is going to leave? If I were the boys I'd be putting the feelers out there. Guessing most of the are???
Id be keeping Wakeham, Cogger, RFM, Harper and Tass, and Tolman. Thoughts?

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Id be keeping Wakeham, Cogger, RFM, Harper and Tass, and Tolman. Thoughts?
I think we will lose RFM to someone else and Tolman should be let go.

JackDog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Milford....? Fuck no
Agreed. We already have a half that goes missing for half the season but that’s coz he’s broken. Last thing we need is another half that goes missing for large parts of every game, not from injury but because of his own mental demons

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Tolman has been great for the club but hes past it now time to go

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Agreed. We already have a half that goes missing for half the season but that’s coz he’s broken. Last thing we need is another half that goes missing for large parts of every game, not from injury but because of his own mental demons
Milford has been forced to play as a 7 for years, with croft joining the Broncos and allowing him to play a more natural role he will likely have a far better year so I'd definitely be monitoring him.

Our spine for the time being doesn't have a single ball runner with genuine pace and/or footwork so I'd be keeping an open mind and actively monitoring players with these key attributes. Averillo is someone that we already have that fits this role, just a matter of seeing how and where he develops over the year.

Dogna88

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Eh, don't know where the dig up this shyte from, his recovery is doing well, he's working hard (as usual) and is currently on schedule for a mid season return (that's playing).

Go Dogs
I wouldn't be suprised if he is back by round 10, maybe earlier ;)

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Milford has been forced to play as a 7 for years, with croft joining the Broncos and allowing him to play a more natural role he will likely have a far better year so I'd definitely be monitoring him.

Our spine for the time being doesn't have a single ball runner with genuine pace and/or footwork so I'd be keeping an open mind and actively monitoring players with these key attributes. Averillo is someone that we already have that fits this role, just a matter of seeing how and where he develops over the year.
Milford played 6 inside Ben hunt from 2015-18 except for the unsuccessful try at fullback. If we are to chase a genuine marque half that can organize and have a bit of x factor, Milford has some x but cant organize shit so I dont think he is the one.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Milford played 6 inside Ben hunt from 2015-18 except for the unsuccessful try at fullback. If we are to chase a genuine marque half that can organize and have a bit of x factor, Milford has some x but cant organize shit so I dont think he is the one.
Do we consider Hunt a genuine 7 though? I think he can do an okay job there but he looks far better as a hooker imo.

And I'm not flat our saying we should sign him, just saying we shouldn't write him off as a potential target. The focus should be recruiting players into the squad that bring key skills we lack and Milford is a player that possess a few.

Our entire spine as of this moment is no where near good enough and I'd be happy to replace the entire lot of nothing really changes this season. We at least have a few options from within the club that we can look at.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Dont need JAC, what a waste of money if theres any truth to it.
Im probably one of the few that agree with you here. We have plenty of outside back stocks as far as im concerned. Meaney has skills and deserves a fg gig, and okunbour will be great for us this year IMO. So why do we need a winger when we also habe from us who could play wing, Harper and Averilo? To be fair though, I'd like to see averilo in the halves long term, and Lewis moving to lock.....

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
............... Lewis moving to lock.....
On this one, we have Jackson, Stimson, Britt, CHN and RFM who IMHO are far ahead of Lewis in regards to a back row position. Plus we have Roumanous and Doorey in the developing ranks. With Elliott, CSmith and Sue as backups. Quite frankly we don't need another back rower and as a result my view is that if Lewis doesn't make it as a 5/8 then he is superfluous to our needs going forward.

Go Dogs

Cappuccino

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Is Lewis to lock the new 'Utai to hooker'?

Not going to happen, please stop suggesting it.

At least Utai could play football.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Is Lewis to lock the new 'Utai to hooker'?

Not going to happen, please stop suggesting it.

At least Utai could play football.
Lewis to lock, Lewis to hooker, Lewis to centre!

If he's not in the halves he's not in the team.

I wouldn't even have him in the halves but that's a story for another day.

Cappuccino

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Lewis to lock, Lewis to hooker, Lewis to centre!

If he's not in the halves he's not in the team.

I wouldn't even have him in the halves but that's a story for another day.
I dunno how he ended up in our team, its only through circumstance.

I've said it before and i'll repeat it.

He wouldn't have been allowed anywhere near any of our teams from 2002-2016. Folkes wouldn't have even let him watch them train.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
On this one, we have Jackson, Stimson, Britt, CHN and RFM who IMHO are far ahead of Lewis in regards to a back row position. Plus we have Roumanous and Doorey in the developing ranks. With Elliott, CSmith and Sue as backups. Quite frankly we don't need another back rower and as a result my view is that if Lewis doesn't make it as a 5/8 then he is superfluous to our needs going forward.

Go Dogs
What's superfluous?

khan

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

Go Dogs
I dont understand the hate or dislike for lachie, he may not have what everyone wants out of a halve and thats totally fair but he's a good solid footy player that puts in those 1%ers in a game when its most needed, he deserves a spot in the team and with a few xtra heavy sets in the weights room he'll make a good lock forward along with his handy (not special) skills with the ball.

The other lot that you've mentioned apart from jacko and stimson dont fill me with confidence as a lock forward to the dynamics of (my) forward pack, yours may be different so i wont argue with it.

Those rookies you mentioned are a definite possibility but still way off with what is in front of them, and this is another topic altogether, way too many "no frills" forwards.
Make the chop and move on i say.