News NRL’s season 2020 ad: Simply the best ... or simply divisive?

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
You must be a lesbian to be so angry about people who believe in lesbians being on national tv kissing is a bad thing.
lesbians get a hard time for no reason, if I was a lady I would 1000% become a lesbian

would you if you were a lady? or would you suck cock?

Pity Fool

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Watched till the minute mark and couldn't finish it.

Talk about cringe worthy
It made me cringe worse than when I have to pick up my Staffys warm stinky shits and that’s saying something EWWW!

Dogtime

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
Paul Kent on Ben Fordham show spoke about how the NRL brainstormed senior sports writers and such on how the add should be made and then went out and created a cringeworthy fucktard (my words not his). I was waiting for the bit about climate change affecting the game or the corona virus shutting down stadiums - maybe thats in next years version. Seriously, I love this Tina Turner song and it truly suits our game down to a T. As Kent explained....the original campaign was aimed at encouraging young men to build themselves up to become footballers and for young women to buy into the game because the blokes dont look half bad (with their shirts off), but how UN PC would that be if this campaign went down the same road?
No, instead we have to have the indigenous (who make up less than 4% of the population) division agenda pushed down our throats and the gay agenda (another 7 to 10%). What exactly do either IN PARTICULAR have to do with the vast majority of those involved in the NRL. Why not disabled, why not those in nursing homes, or those living overseas, or people that voted no to gay marriage?
The piece is not aimed at the right demographic. If youve lost older former supporters your not going to get them back showing how the game used to be before PC took control. Rather you should aim to attract younger ones. Why not aim it at potential asian or Indian customers by showing cultural diversity, or players overcoming bad injuries to play again?
Women's RL is on the rise so showcase the big hits not the minority lesbianism.
The mast majority love the athleticism, the hard work, the guts of Josh Morris getting up with a bad knee to make that SOO tackle, the big hits. The NRL has missed a golden opportunity. Hope they didnt pay too much to produce this rubbish.

Sleeky

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
There was no need for the politically correctness. It’s a sport, leave politics out.

It’s about team spirit, fans and the actual game of Rugby League. The flashback of kids is great, but get the dates correct. Just shows how unprofessional HQ is.

Would also be nice to have something original (song) but can’t win them all.

Pity Fool

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
There was no need for the politically correctness. It’s a sport, leave politics out.

It’s about team spirit, fans and the actual game of Rugby League. The flashback of kids is great, but get the dates correct. Just shows how unprofessional HQ is.

Would also be nice to have something original (song) but can’t win them all.
No one says it like it is better than this bloke when iy comes to political agendas and he is 100% right!

Pity Fool

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Watched the ad once, thought it was decent but maybe I was too swayed by the nostalgia of Tina Turner. That song suits rugby league to a T.

Also I am not a homophobe or a racist so that also might explain why I didn't mind it.
Being critical of something does not make one a racist or homophobic! That is the problem with society these days, specifically the government, corporations and the media is that they are clearly showing support for one side due to so called popular community/commercial opinion and completely disregarding the other. If they were truly being “inclusive” they would have put Israel Folau in the ad With all his beliefs or included the players and fans who have deep Christian faith and beliefs but no they didn’t, they neglected the majority and didn’t include any of that hence creating division. Therefor it is nothing but a one sided political agenda they are pushing rather than focusing on what is relevant to what they are advertising...Rugby League.

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
Whenever I see NRL promo advertising, unless it's specifically aimed at promoting our match, I rarely see any Bulldogs representation, even in the crowd/fans.
We are invisible.
Unless it's the 2014 GF of course, we didn't get a look in for advertising on that one lol.

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
Yeah just crap but no surprises really for the team killing the sport.

EXPLORER

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I just watched the video of the ad.
I don't have a drama with it.
Knights and South's were over represented,

Sure the history was a bit out.

But who really cares, you get the point they were making.

I'm like, meh, What ever. It's just another add on tv

Horse

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Not a bad ad, nothing wrong with it.

Lol imagine actually getting triggered by it. You’d have to have serious issues.

Sleeky

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
Not a bad ad, nothing wrong with it.

Lol imagine actually getting triggered by it. You’d have to have serious issues.
That’s right, forgot you like mediocrity

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
For those interested, here's an article by Andrew Webster including the NRL's response to the hoo-ha over the ad. Some pretty good perspective in my view.

The man behind the NRL’s controversial revamp of the Simply The Best advertising campaign insists the game is not trying to make a political statement on Indigenous issues or marriage equality.
NRL chief commercial officer Andrew Abdo was under heavy attack on Tuesday over the new campaign, which re-positions Tina Turner's iconic song as rugby league's anthem 30 years after she became the face and big spiky hair of the code.

Specifically, critics have said the campaign tries too hard to be politically correct, slamming the appearance of Indigenous player Latrell Mitchell draped in the Aboriginal flag and an image of a kiss between couple Karina Brown and Vanessa Foliaki after they had played on rival teams in a women’s State of Origin match.
Many fans were also outraged at the brief appearance of Macklemore, the US rapper who performed Same Love at the 2017 grand final as debate raged around the same-sex marriage plebiscite.

“We’re not forcing anyone to believe in one thing or another,” Abdo said. “Those events have happened. Latrell is a superstar for us, Macklemore performed at the grand final in a moment we were really proud of. That brought our fans together and his performance was great.
"It’s not ticking a box. It’s genuine and authentic because we are picking out moments — good and bad — regardless of what your opinion is. We’re just sharing moments as they unfolded.
“This campaign is not intended to be political. It’s a showcase of our history; our people, our events that shaped where we are today.
The intent of the campaign is to embrace what’s happened in the last 30 years, but also to give a nostalgic feeling for people who are new to the game to understand the moments that have mattered so they can feel part of it.”

Abdo, who is considered a future NRL chief executive and has a huge supporter in ARLC chairman Peter V’landys, has been working tirelessly on the campaign.
He consulted many stakeholders, including a small group of media representatives, who were asked to name their defining moments and images over the last 30 years.

Abdo stressed the two-minute ad was merely part of a broader campaign, with some of the shorter adverts to focus on the footy as well as documentaries about the original advertisement.
He also said the NRL had not received a directive from News Corp about removing a reference to the Super League war. In the two-minute ad that was shown earlier this week, a TV newsreader is heard saying: “And Super League tears the game apart”.
“There has been no directive from anyone to adjust it,” Abdo said. “But if the intent of the campaign is to be positive and showcase the game and some people feel isolated, we will adjust and listen to our fans. If we think something isn’t working, we will change it — but that is our decision.”
It will be interesting to see if the line stays in when it’s aired at the season launch in Sydney on Thursday night.

There are three certainties in rugby league: people will bag referees; they will bag the NSW halfback; and they will bag the TV campaign.

Personally, I thought the advertisement was good, although the elements around Mitchell and the same-sex marriage endorsement felt laboured and forced. The end of the world as we know it?
If people are getting bent out of shape about rugby league being a game for all, instead of a game for some, maybe it’s time for some perspective.

Super League changed the game forever — but it survived. The war showed the resilience of the code and its people and it shouldn’t be forgotten.
John Quayle, the man behind the ARL’s first campaigns with Turner, was too smart to comment on the revamped version when contacted on Tuesday.

When word started to leak about the first campaign in 1989 featuring Turner’s What You Get Is What You See, he was contacted by leading rugby league reporter Peter “Chippy” Frilingos.
“Your job is on the line here,” he told him.
Indeed, Rex Mossop had already phoned chairman Ken Arthurson and asked, “Tell me it’s not true: you have an Afro-American grandmother about to become the face of the game?"

For a moment, Arthurson and other jittery board members wanted the ad pulled despite the great expense to make it.
A few days later, Frilingos gave Quayle the thumbs up as the ad was revealed on the big screen at the Sydney Football Stadium for the first time.
In the weeks and months that followed, not a single negative phone call or letter came into the ARL’s offices in Phillip Street. It won international advertising awards.
The only negative word, Quayle has said before, came from Mike Willesee when he was interviewed on A Current Affair.
“I only wish my sport of Aussie Rules had come up with it first,” Willessee said.

What about Tina, who is now 80 and will celebrate the 30th anniversary of Simply The Best from afar?
“We showed the ad to Roger Davis, her manager, and to Tina as well,” Abdo said. “And she was thrilled.”

JackDog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Being critical of something does not make one a racist or homophobic! That is the problem with society these days, specifically the government, corporations and the media is that they are clearly showing support for one side due to so called popular community/commercial opinion and completely disregarding the other. If they were truly being “inclusive” they would have put Israel Folau in the ad With all his beliefs or included the players and fans who have deep Christian faith and beliefs but no they didn’t, they neglected the majority and didn’t include any of that hence creating division. Therefor it is nothing but a one sided political agenda they are pushing rather than focusing on what is relevant to what they are advertising...Rugby League.
Being critical once or twice , ok. But EVERY time an indigenous player shows pride in his people, there is weeks and weeks of massively over-the-top outrage, with calls for them to just be quiet.

EVERY time? THATS racism.

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
And this one says it best...

I didn't think much about Sam Newman until I saw this - my respect for him went up more than just a couple of notches!

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
The NRL has heard gotten the message from the fans and will work on making changes to it.

I still think they are so delusional that the PC shit will still be present.

Pity Fool

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Being critical once or twice , ok. But EVERY time an indigenous player shows pride in his people, there is weeks and weeks of massively over-the-top outrage, with calls for them to just be quiet.

EVERY time? THATS racism.
Yeah ok mate, site one time where I’ve said anything about an indigenous player! Good on ya!

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Whats new really? .. Just another NRL publicity campaign that fails..