News NRL’s season 2020 ad: Simply the best ... or simply divisive?

JackDog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think the ad is OK. Has a sort of nice feel to it if you disassociate it with its agenda.

Not a fan of the Brigginshaw Lesbian kissing thing. Totally out of place in the ad and out of place in the game. As with the aboriginal element in it, take it or leave it. I think they should have played on the concept that rugby brings people of all walks of life together. Maybe insert some clips of pacific islander kids playing the game? Make it have more of a global feel to it.
Ali Brigganshaw wasn't either of the girls kissing. Her partner doesn't play.

Papa Emeritus

Who wants their taint tickled?
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
Watched the ad once, thought it was decent but maybe I was too swayed by the nostalgia of Tina Turner. That song suits rugby league to a T.

Also I am not a homophobe or a racist so that also might explain why I didn't mind it.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Watched the ad once, thought it was decent but maybe I was too swayed by the nostalgia of Tina Turner. That song suits rugby league to a T.

Also I am not a homophobe or a racist so that also might explain why I didn't mind it.
I finally got to see it as well this morning.

My concerns really are to do with the obvious historical inaccuracies.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Ok so everyone should unite behind tall strong white men and the girl should have been inspired by watching cheerleaders

The term snowflake should be used against your type
That’s how Donald Trump wants it.
And he’s someone to aspire to!
Er...maybe not.

Papa Emeritus

Who wants their taint tickled?
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
I finally got to see it as well this morning.

My concerns really are to do with the obvious historical inaccuracies.
I did not notice until I saw a meme about the inconsistencies of the Turbo bros age, but that is incredibly stupid. Like why not make all of the events show the correct years? The ad would be the same.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I did not notice until I saw a meme about the inconsistencies of the Turbo bros age, but that is incredibly stupid. Like why not make all of the events show the correct years? The ad would be the same.
There are a few - the El Masri footage i think is the wrong year, and the Souffs protests were years before John Sutton played for the Bunnies.

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Why did Greenturd feel the need to litter this with political crap.

Stick to the footy. Greenturd is an insufferable little rat.

The Innovator

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
That idiot Greenberg said he got goosebumps ! Give me a break. It was underwhelming. You’d swear blind that the NRL’s pet project Souths won the comp last year and I’m soooooo over friggin Latrell Mitchell. I didn’t think the young girl singing worked either.
The ad was ordinary. It had no flow. Why show footage of stuff 25 years ago ?
Are the NRL that stupid that they can’t think up a new theme ?
It’s 2020 FFS !

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
The young girl singing should have been left to the start or end not the middle. It really falls flat when it should be pumping.

ash160

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The original is brilliant...this one garbage!

I hope they’re no gonna thrash us with that all year

jasonsmith11

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
these so called visionaries have run out of ideas just bring back escapism

Pity Fool

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
The NRL’s newest advertising campaign is a salute to rugby league’s modern history and a celebration of some of its current superstars.

And in true NRL-style, there’s also some political grandstanding intertwined, all while rocking along to the 1980s Tina Turner anthem ‘Simply The Best’.

Simply the Best - Revived

2:03

The advertisement begins in the lounge room of a young Cameron Smith then rolls through some of the greatest grand finals of the last 30 years.

There’s Joey Johns heroics with a punctured lung down the blind side to Darren Albert in 1997, breaking Manly hearts and sending the city of Newcastle into a wave of celebrations for

There’s Scott Sattler’s cover tackle on Todd Byrne in 2003, etching his own slice of grand final history to sit alongside his famous father John playing the 1970 grand final with a broken jaw.

There’s Benji Marshall’s flick pass to a powering Pat Richards in 2005, the Tigers winger playing with 11 painkilling injections to score one of the all-time great tries.

There’s Greg Inglis and the Goanna celebration to smash a red and green 43 season premiership drought at Redfern, South Sydney, the pride of the league.

And who could forget Johnathan Thurston, one of the great grand finals in 2015, when JT nailed the field goal in golden point to guide the North Queensland Cowboys to their inaugural premiership.

Then there’s an acknowledgment to the current generation of superstars headlined by Cameron Smith, Tom and Jake Trobjevic, Latrell Mitchell and Tyson Frizell.

The newest generation of stars writing the newest chapters in NRL history.

The narrative is complete with an acknowledgment of Smith becoming one of the all-time greats, the first player to crack the 400 NRL match milestone.

Whatever your political persuasion, it’s hard not to have the hairs on the back of your neck standing up when Alfie Langer, Wayne Pearce and Andrew Ettingshausen are lighting up the original ‘Simply The Best’ television commercial.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...t/news-story/265418402f34b7543fa301c4636cc5fd
Just a crappy advertisement for virtue signalling political correctness, wtf do we need to see two lesbians kissing on national television ffs when all our kids are watching, absolute garbage! And wtf does Macklemore have to do with Rugby league? Her music is shit Greenberg has lost his marbles imo!

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
They should've showed an Anglo Aussie draped in the Aussie flag as well.

Along with Greenturd draped in the rainbow flag since he supports the gay community so much.

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Divisive is not the right term. It's not littered with divisive content but it is filled with irrelevant political bullshit and grandstanding from Greenturd.

Pity Fool

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Spoon fed the political correctness again... do we really need the gay stuff ? Like it’s nrl for fuk sake, milking our game
They got to advertise the NLRL you know
( National Lesbians Rugby League ) Lol

Pity Fool

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Oh my goodness, this is fucked beyond fucked beyond fucked.
  1. Thank you for showing 2 lesbians kissing
  2. Thank you for showing Aboriginal player who's been an utter **** this off season with an Aboriginal flag around him (signalling division rather than unification)
  3. Thank you for showing some poof supporter Macklemore who no one has heard of since 2017... and reminding us how the 2017 GF was used a gay marriage advert
  4. Thank you for having some fat little Aboriginal kid ruin the best part of the song
  5. Thank you for fucking up a classic adverting campaign from 1990
If there was ever any further evidence needed to show us that the NRL is nothing but a Political tool more than a sport, this is it.

NRL, if you ever wonder why fans aren't turning up anymore, look no further.

In closing...

Well fucking said mate!!!

Pity Fool

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
ok next Christmas im going to claim that all the christmas material is pushing an agenda and is divisive, i guarantee you will not agree and feel that im the one being divisive
The Christmas shit that get’s pushed these days has nothing to do with Christianity or religion mate... wake up!

Pity Fool

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
actually PC is not showing lesbians kissing

did PC change meaning? you are referring to political correctness and not personal computer? because I also have lesbian videos on my PC if so
You must be a lesbian to be so angry about people who believe in lesbians being on national tv kissing is a bad thing.