News Canterbury Bulldogs 2020 NRL preview: Team list, burning questions

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Personally I didn't realise how well some of those kids were progressing, the trials gave a bit of an insight into that.

It really throws us so many questions - are we willing to be patient and what's the likelyhood of keeping these kids together in the long term when others clubs come knocking on their door.
It did didn’t it and the thing is some of the younger kids are potentially a lot better too. Our juniors were left to rot and we’ve done a great job to build them up again so quickly. I hope we find the right balance and do what’s best in the long run rather than thinking short term like Des did for example

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
Agree with a few.

Go extremely hard at Grant now. Even if it’s for 2021.

Go hard for addo carr if you miss him cotric. If miss both sit tight don’t sign flops like kahu.

No good half but we sure as shit need one.

Also hoping Meaney kicks on this year.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
It’s a tough one isn’t it and a bit of a catch 22. People are judging the board on their inability to sign marquees but if you develop successful juniors (like we are currently doing) you don’t want other clubs to reap the benefits of years of development time and money we have spent. We also don’t want to always be paying huge money or the “O” word for other clubs players when we can breed our own for generally less cap space and more loyalty
Dunno why I had optomistic rating on this lol. On my phone and must have bumped it... But yeah I agree . This is relevant to our centres and back row and to a certain extent wing with Meaney and the possible signing of Addo-Carr

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Dunno why I had optomistic rating on this lol. On my phone and must have bumped it... But yeah I agree . This is relevant to our centres and back row and to a certain extent wing with Meaney and the possible signing of Addo-Carr
Haha don’t worry I do that all the time too. Too many tiny little pics with big fingers. I think we should still always be looking to see what is out there and recruit suitable players but as I’ve maintained all along, I don’t want to sign marquees just for the sake of it

Novdoggie

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Foran possibly missing the whole year.

What a joke if this is the case for a player on his last legs, can't make the unselfish decision and retire. Even if the Dogs and Foran come to an agreement, say $500k payout possibly could see us snap up a mid season buy or bring in a development player and still have change left. But no, Foran has to screw us for every cent.

The_Chimpster

Kennel Addict
Reaction score

What a joke if this is the case for a player on his last legs, can't make the unselfish decision and retire. Even if the Dogs and Foran come to an agreement, say $500k payout possibly could see us snap up a mid season buy or bring in a development player and still have change left. But no, Foran has to screw us for every cent.
Agreed. What does he think is gonna happen, he misses this year, or plays like five games and his body miraculously recovers and another club offers him a bumper contract?

Stop delaying the inevitable, just retire and move into a playmaking coach role, or some kind of role that helps develop players

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Haha don’t worry I do that all the time too. Too many tiny little pics with big fingers. I think we should still always be looking to see what is out there and recruit suitable players but as I’ve maintained all along, I don’t want to sign marquees just for the sake of it
Yeah man I love Addo-Carr and think he'd be great for the club... And I've always wanted Cotric. There's no way we can sign both without punting an established player and blocking a juniors path at the same time. I'd say the biggest concern our club has ATM is trying to find Averillos best position within the team before we open the chequebook

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
ive never been a fan of spending big dollars on a winger .. meanwhile a great spine can make any average winger look great..

khan

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah man I love Addo-Carr and think he'd be great for the club... And I've always wanted Cotric. There's no way we can sign both without punting an established player and blocking a juniors path at the same time. I'd say the biggest concern our club has ATM is trying to find Averillos best position within the team before we open the chequebook
Before the club even thinks of JAC they need to recruit accordingly.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Eh, don't know where the dig up this shyte from, his recovery is doing well, he's working hard (as usual) and is currently on schedule for a mid season return (that's playing).

Go Dogs

D- voice

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Let's see...
If we believe the rumours and sign some of these players
This could be the starting 17 for 2021
1...Meaney
2...DWZ
3...Cotric
4...Smith
5...JAC
6...Hopoate I think he has one of the silkiest pair of hands in the game
7...Wakeham
8...Thomson
9...Grant
10.To'omaga
11.CHN
12.Jackson
13.Fifita he would be a long shot
14.Napa
15.Stimson
16.Brit
17.Lewis / Ogden / Elliot
I think there will be unexpected surprises !!!

Last edited:

steeliz

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
few factually incorrect statements..
Pay took over in 2018 not 2019
JMK is no chance of a halves spot
JMK had no problem defending in the middle last year
Topine is not in top 30
Cogger has not locked in a starting spot..
JMK was playing Fullback at the Tigers when we signed him.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
ive never been a fan of spending big dollars on a winger .. meanwhile a great spine can make any average winger look great..
Agree, like Rob Jennings at the Bunnies ... Just catch the ball and put it down lol

Gabe

Kennel Established
Reaction score
They are saying Coggar is a lock and Lewis is not? As mush as I think no half has stood up enough to be a lock in, pretty sure Lewis is more in favor.

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
It did didn’t it and the thing is some of the younger kids are potentially a lot better too. Our juniors were left to rot and we’ve done a great job to build them up again so quickly. I hope we find the right balance and do what’s best in the long run rather than thinking short term like Des did for example
I'll definitely agree with this point! "Our juniors were left to rot and we’ve done a great job to build them up again so quickly"

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Id like our club to go say 8-10 rounds see how our young brigade perform before splashing out big

Jai81

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
JAC would be awesome as long as we don’t pay overs for him. Not a fan of the others...